navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Publishing
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Publishing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Foxyoasis
since 2003-06-10
Posts 974
Atlantic Beach,Fla

0 posted 2004-02-06 08:32 PM

I have no idea of how to go about this. It's been my dream to have my own poetry book published. I dunno if I should do self publishing or try to send stuff in I dont know where to begin... Any suggestions?

© Copyright 2004 Julie O'Neill - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2004-02-06 08:42 PM

If you publish it yourself, do you have the money it takes to do it?

If you want to be published by a publishing house, it's usually good to have some kind of interest already for your work, as in winning a couple of legitimate contests or being published in magazines.

Foxyoasis
since 2003-06-10
Posts 974
Atlantic Beach,Fla
2 posted 2004-02-06 09:15 PM

I never got anything published or won anything. Nor do I know where to enter any of these contests....

any suggestions?

Only thing i gotten is poetry.com that is  scam they want me to buy books and stuff

Fool me once shame on you.....Fool me twice shame on me.....

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2004-02-06 10:23 PM

http://www.lulu.com.

Check this out... I'm using it to publish mine. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at the system they have worked out.

Hope It Helps

But now the animal is in pain...
And now it's starting to rain...
But I'm still the same.

eor
since 2002-09-26
Posts 959
blues & greys
4 posted 2004-02-07 02:47 AM

as far as publishing goes i have had a couple of really good teachers teach me a thing or two about getting published...well first off as a poet the best way if you have the money is to finance it your self, but then you got the prolbem or circulation and what not, the other longer harder road most likley full of rejection...is to find every journal, publication, publishing house you can get the address for, in and 8x11 folder put at least 20 poems along wiht the same sized folder (stamped and self addressed) folded in half in there...send it off and hope for the best, 99 times out of 100 you will peobally get rejected, but if you want circulation this is the best, as well as hardest most frustrating ect...so that was a tiny crash course in publishing...
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2004-02-09 04:32 AM

www.instantpublisher.com

there are plenty of print-on-demand publishers, but the bad thing is that the books don't hit the bookstores, they come to you after you pay for them...but it's a book all the same

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Publishing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary