navwin » Discussion » Feelings » root canal
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic root canal Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2003-10-01 09:28 AM

I have to have a root canal.  dont want to, dont want to......!!!!  anyone have an advice or horror stories??  

© Copyright 2003 J.B - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2003-10-01 09:47 AM

When I was a teen ( caveman days) lol...my mom had several of them and she was a swollen mess...years later I had to have a couple and was all stressed remembering her.
But they were virtually painless...dentistry has come a long way...most of the pain is in our minds.. I asked for the "gas" the first time...but never needed it again...have had 4 now and honestly..the worst part was the silly way your mouth feels with the numb from the Novacaine.  Talk to your dentist and tell him your concerns. I can only speak for my experience but all in all it wasnt that bad--not like the fear we build up in our heads about going to the dentist.

Heck..having 8 pound babies is a lot tougher than a tooth being pulled and we still keep doing that, dont we.  

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
2 posted 2003-10-01 11:24 AM

Thanks for your stories.  I have had a lot a pain but that is because I had an abscess in my tooth.  I went today and he drained it because the antibiotics did not work.  Is it true that when you get a root canal that your tooth will turn grey?
Craw
since 2003-09-11
Posts 73
Scotland
3 posted 2003-10-03 09:11 AM

No it's not true. You should read Martin Amis on the subject of dental treatment if you want all the horrible literary references associated with bad teeth.

Gruesome but fascinating.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2003-10-03 12:59 PM

Miah - I have had several root canals, and I have to tell you like Janet Marie, (cause we are older dudettes), I was scared silly to the point of almost pulling out my own tooth rather than going through what my Dad had years before.

However, pain gave in and treatment began, and it was not any worse than having a big filling done, and the pain was gone.  It saves your tooth - the ultimate goal here after all (how can you enjoy corn on the cob without your own choppers?)  Ah sure, some eat it but it is not the same.

Get a good book, two tylenol, and curl up and know tomorrow will be a better day.  Hope all goes well.  Let me see, one root canal $600.00

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (10-03-2003 01:02 PM).]

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
5 posted 2003-10-04 12:12 PM

thank you for your comments.  Its always nice to know your never alone.  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » root canal

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary