navwin » Discussion » Feelings » frustration
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic frustration Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lisann
since 2001-01-31
Posts 350

0 posted 2003-02-09 09:20 PM

sorry...just need to vent my feelings.   For the last year and a half.....I have been going through the court system.  I pressed charges against one set of foster parents for sexual and physical abuse.
The abuse to myself occurred many years ago but I had found out not long ago that the home in which I was abused in....the foster parents that molested me were still taking children into their home so I decided to put an end to it.  That is the reason I laid the charges.  Anyway.....I did lay charges against them......not at all wanting to endure what I have had to for the last year but I knew that in order to save any more children from future abuse I had to undergo some "unpleasant" feelings and memories.   The court trial is FINALLY over and I am PISSED BEYOND BELIEF.  The sentencing for the abuse is only 3 years.  They claim that they can only give 3 years because that is the duration allowed back during the time that the crime was committed.   I can't believe this.......they only got 3 years for severly beating and raping me as well as several other children in the home.  
   People who rob a bank get more than 7 years and they are only hurting themselves.   They usually get caught and the money is back in the bank An abuser is hurting other people......The robber steals from the bank......and takes a chunk of money out; The abuser takes a chunk out of the child.....their WHOLE CHILDHOOD.  THe bank gets the money back but the kids whole childhood is gone forever.....there is no way it can be put back.  How is it that a robber gets more than 7 years and he has hurt no one but himself......and an abuser......destroys an entire life......and only gets 3 years.......will someone please explain this to me?

© Copyright 2003 Lisann - All Rights Reserved
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

1 posted 2003-02-09 10:20 PM

Lisann,

I understand your frustration...the court/justice system has been failing children for years. The laws and the sentences have been unbalanced for as long as these crimes have existed. Its a personal issue for me for many reasons...
I wish I had the answers for you..but I would like you to look at this from another view...first of all you are to be commended for your bravery and for your heart and tenacity to put aside your own pain and loss and open your self up to all that you had to go thru for the good of others. I know how hard that had to have been ... and though the punishment does not fit the crime..and never could, look at it this way..thats 3 years that they cant hurt any other children and also you branded them with the mark of their deeds. I'm quite sure it will have long lasting effects beyond the time they actually serve. You spared other children the loss and heartache that you endured..
that is a very big deal...
I hope you find healing in your unselfish effort...and I hope you are proud of yourself. Heart-hugs to you.
You've done good girl

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
2 posted 2003-02-10 09:46 PM

The court systems in my opinion arent fair.

I have a friend who was shot in the head by his gf at the time and all she got was 15 years for aggravated assult with a deadly weapon. They didnt charge her with attempted murder cause it was premeditated from what he told me.

You should be very proud of what you did. 3 years is better then nothing.

~if you want something very badly set it free, if it comes back to you its yours forever, if it doesnt it was never yours to begin with~

defenestrate
since 2003-01-10
Posts 46
nc, us
3 posted 2003-02-12 05:06 AM

lisann,
if it's any consolation, inmates REALLY REALLY don't take kindly to child rapists. like REALLY. you did what you could, and, sadly, sometimes comeuppances take a long time to be had. bless you for doing what must have been difficult.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2003-02-12 01:07 PM

Lisann, there is no one that can explain and the only way things get changed is reform, and fighting the system, and that takes time, power and lots of guts to to do.  I won't go into my story, but I know your "feeling" which is identical to mine, and eventually we just learn somehow to know it was not our fault, and put the anger in a place it is managable.  Is what happened or the consequence fair? No way!  but life is like that sometimes.  My wish for you is this, that in taling about it and sharing your story with others, they can get to that "raw gut" sickness that lives there, and we can all purge a lot of other people's sickness and be healthy.  Here's to your health and I truly mean that!  Big hugs to you, as I know this pain very well.
Lisann
since 2001-01-31
Posts 350

5 posted 2003-02-14 08:45 PM

Thank you all for your replies and concern.  Mysteria...........thank you for your vote of confidence.  I know that old saying about time healing all wounds but i'm not necessarily a believer in it.  But thank you for your words.  It helps to know that others support me in this. Particularly when feeling so alone.
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2003-02-15 06:35 PM

Lisann, time doesn't heal all wounds, but often makes them hurt a bit less. I've just about stopped looking to humans for justice,
for too often the criminal gets a lighter sentence than the victim.
Be proud of your strengths, and hug yourself for having been brave enough to do what you did to prevent more children from this abuse. Peace to you, dear friend.

KoKo
since 2003-02-15
Posts 995
Inside the shadow's shadow
7 posted 2003-02-16 12:53 PM

This is such a heartbreaking post...I'm crying...I can't believe they're only getting 3 years!!!! its making my stomach churn and tighten....it makes me want to puke >_<
I am sorry...But if there's anything I can do...anything...if you ever need someone to talk to...I'm here.

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
--Chang Tzu

Waterbirdfly
since 2003-02-16
Posts 32
China
8 posted 2003-02-16 02:29 AM

If you were in China,it is different.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » frustration

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary