navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Im an utter failure
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Im an utter failure Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
cherrylips
since 2002-11-30
Posts 51
UK

0 posted 2002-12-04 08:09 AM

Ok so I need to get this out and I apologise to all those who read this but I am so annoyed.
Whoever said working hard got you anywhere was a total liar.
The thing is I took my first test at uni and only got 56% not only is that pathetic but I put loads of work in and my room mate who did sod all only got one percent less than me. I could scream. I cried and fell like [edited by moderator]. Excuse the language but I dont know how else to say it. I cant do anything. The poems I write are rubbish and I am not good enough to be at this uni. I will never make it and do what I want
Once again sorry but I had to let it out. dx

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (12-04-2002 02:06 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Danielle - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2002-12-04 09:09 AM

You are not a failure unless you stop trying!!! Don't give up. Everyone learns at their own speed and sometimes it's hard to find that speed.

What are your study habits? Maybe we can offer some suggestions?

cherrylips
since 2002-11-30
Posts 51
UK
2 posted 2002-12-04 10:18 AM

I spent a lot of time revising for the test . I went over all my notes drew up revision diagrams and notes. Just found out that one of my freinds got the top mark so I feel even worsenow. I tried so hard and wanted ot do well so badly on my first test and now its all messed up.
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2002-12-04 03:48 PM

I have to agree with Sharon, only when you stop trying are you failing.  I know people say that they can relate, but brother do I ever relate to you on this.  I had a best friend who always outdid me in almost everything and I used to feel terrible.  One day I realized to draw on her strength and asked her to help me and it sure propelled me forward with her support.

Can you compare your test with hers, and talk it out with her, and perhaps spend some time together in a study group?  Don't beat yourself up over one test, but try to use the marking system as a guideline on what you need to work on perhaps.

I do feel for you on this one, and know you won't be the last one to feel badly about not meeting your own expectations.  University is a wonderful testing ground for life that is for sure, as there will be hurdles coming that you will or will not get over, but it is there you will learn how to deal with winning and loosing, and realize the importance of each.  Good luck, and trust me when I tell you having a smart friend is wonderful, draw on their strength and I hope you will be friends as long as I was with my friend of over 45 years.

Good luck and hang in there, you won't ever regret getting an education.

Let there be peace on earth,
and let it begin with me.

Ethan Halo
since 2000-04-28
Posts 793
on the roof again
4 posted 2002-12-04 03:56 PM

ya failed one test, big deal. there's lots more to come. ya keep studying and do your best. that's all you can do.
maybe it's the subject matter, maybe it's the teacher, maybe it's test anxiety...
the point is you gave it everything you had and it didn't turn out so well. you can sit here and let that hang over your head, or you can prepare for the next one.

and if you can't hack it on your own, check out some study groups or a tutor. how about that friend that aced this test? i say start studying with that person, and check to see what s/he did differently. you've got a model for success right under ya nose.

let this failure go. everyone brings home a bad one every now and then. everyone writes a rubbish poem no and then. (me... more often than most )
simplify,
and improve. that's it.

it's our struggle for identity that leaves us all unknown

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2002-12-05 11:36 AM

Did you say this was your first test in university? If so, don't freak! Most people screw up the first time. We're entitled to it... like everyone said, don't give up! I'm sure you'll do better. Maybe there's a tutoring program at your university that can help you. Check it out!

Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us.

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
6 posted 2002-12-06 06:56 PM

One piece does not a pie make...nor does one
failure make an "F"....

As long as you keep saying you are a failure,
you will sooner or later believe that you are
and you will accomplish nothing...

It takes courage from within yourself and
self belief that you are not...None of us
were born failures....and it sounds to me
as though there is nothing unique about you
that would make you a failure....

So....I say "HOGWASH" to that thought and
think you are quite capable of getting on
track....

But that means you have to accept good sound
advice,  take it to heart and take a few
steps that might be a little uncomfortable..

It is your own choice....  You become what
you allow yourself to believe you are...
No more, no less...

Good Luck!!!

cherrylips
since 2002-11-30
Posts 51
UK
7 posted 2002-12-08 10:58 AM

Thank you all for being so supportive talking about it has really helped and I have given it all a lot of thought. I am not a quitter. I am one of the lucky ones I know what I want and I am going to bloody well get it. I have essays tro be in after Chrostmas and I am going to work till it kills me lol, well not quite to do them well. Thanx again everyone. dx
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
8 posted 2002-12-26 10:54 PM

Do you have help centers at your university?  I have some at mine and those are a great resource when you're in need of some help.  Study groups are also a great idea.  I studied with some people while I was in math and managed to pull a C+ (pretty good for me, considering I'm an english major and math is very hard for me).  And you are NEVER a failure.  One test does not gage your intelligence nor does it say that you've failed. Some of the best people around do poorly now and then.  Try some new study habits maybe and I'm sure you'll do just fine in the long run.  I hope I was a little help.  

*Krista Knutson*

"If we have no peace, it is because we've forgotten that we belong to each other." ~Mother Teresa

visitvenus
since 2002-12-30
Posts 101
PA, USA
9 posted 2002-12-30 11:22 AM

Cherry - I can relate so much to how you feel, although my situation is so different from yours, yet in so many ways the same.

I'm a graduate student after many years out in the "real world".  I always did well in school before, high school, college and then even in the beginning of grad school.

Then I hit a topic that just shut my brain down and I can't seem to get past it.  YET!  I'm almost done - but I still have to get past this one.

Let me just tell you -- I've failed the class twice and have taken a 'proficiency test' in it once that I didn't make the level needed.  I'm taking it again in a couple weeks(you only get 2 chances at the proficiency test - so more pressure).

I know how you feel.  I felt like such a loser.  Like I was the only one who couldn't get this stuff.  Like everything else I did was a big fraud and they finally found me out.

But you know what?  Even if I don't get past this one, I'll go take the class somewhere else to fulfill my requirement, or take the class here yet again.  Eventually I will get by it.  Eventually it will sink in.  

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  We all have high expectations for ourselves and we all hate failure.  Don't let this aspect of your life overshadow everything else.  Don't pin all your dreams of the future to one test, one course, even one education.  Be the best 'you' that you can be and it'll all work out for you.  Don't judge yourself against others.  Are you doing the best you can do?  Are you giving it your all?  That's what matters.

And never stop trying!

I know it sounds like one of those old 'motherly' lectures, but trust me, someday you'll look back at this and think, "I doubted myself over this?"

Good luck to you hun!  

-Venus

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
10 posted 2002-12-31 02:52 PM

Failure is all in the head...
If you stop now you won't be able to say you tried.
Giving up is the worst..
Most scores in UNI the lowest 2 are usually dropped so you are in luck. just study a lil harder.

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
11 posted 2002-12-31 04:13 PM

First of all there has to be a reason why you scored lower than you thought in the test, approach the lecturer who marked it, explain that you believe with the amount of study you did that you believe that you have recieved higher marks, ask if they wouldn't mind going through the test and showing the errors you made and where you lost marks. Maybe you approached the test in the wrong way.
As for being a failure, that is b.s. We could all be better, we could all have done things better. I spent 5 years studying animation at college and now i am working in a DIY store. If i had just prepared better for my final year, been more prepared, i could have had a better final year, if i had picked the other college which might have had more supportive tutorial staff, if I didn't go to the pub as much, if only i studied....if only if only.

See the pattern, learn from your mistakes move on. You are good enough to be at this university but maybe its not what you want from life, maybe you be happier studying something else, work at your poetry.
If you wallow you'll never get anything achieved.

Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, just a bit of tough love.
Try seeing how you can improve things for yourself, make some new years resolutions that do this and stick to them. Next month I want to hear about how successful or at least how happy you are.  

watched from the wings as the scenes were replayed we saw ourselves now as we never have seen" ian curtis

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Im an utter failure

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary