navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What If?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic What If? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2002-10-27 12:32 PM

You have worked hard and long all of your life, and the things that meant something to you...are left behind, with scraps of notes in your own handwriting, as to what belonged to whom, where it came from, who last used it, what it was used for...

and then, you're gone.  And your only child...just doesn't care.

So everything is piled up into an auction, and strangers, and some family, and people who have known you your entire life, come around to see what was left behind, to pick over pieces that perhaps they gave to this person, to try to buy it back, or to keep some of the family keepsakes that are now up for auction before this crowd of strangers.  Your small articles and several clippings, your love letters, your music, your books, your poetry...all being fingered by strangers with little regard, or touched lovingly by a cousin or niece or newphew wondering "why didn't she know, I would have wanted this?"...

and then they have to bid for it, just to keep it in the family.

All auctions have a life's blood of work left behind...think about it the next time you visit an auction.  Someone's hands knew this piece of "nothing" to be of actual value...and they just did not get the time to send it to the person who would value it the most...

think about it.  And know, someone out there believes that it, too, that little piece of something that you treasure so much, has worth.

Someone.

Like me.

© Copyright 2002 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2002-10-27 01:47 PM

It IS sad...

and methinks I am in a different economic class than you Kari...but as you know, the father in law died last year, and we are looking at a house full of lifetime memories that we simply cannot keep. Most is not to my taste, nor do I have any memories attached--so..the husband suggested we have a lawn sale.

I just couldn't do it. I could not imagine that man's belongings on display for all the world to see, his neighbors picking through--and haggling over price. It seemed an undignified ending to me. So...before anything gets donated to local charities, we check with the family and HIS friends--I mean, who knew Mr. Bob wanted that ugly mounted fish? We didn't know that he was there when the fish was caught, and learned a little bit more about the father in law...

And the clothes? smiling, the husband called one closet "The Rat Pack Wardrobe"--very much Vegas Style high roller stuff--they loved it at the nursing home.

and yes, we are still filling boxes and each one is sealed with tears.

It's a sad, sad thing, and I do know, that one day, someone will be going through MY things, and scratching their heads, saying, "What was she keeping THIS for?"

sighs and hugs.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
2 posted 2002-10-27 02:21 PM

It is sad.  I never really thought of it in that light before.  Thank God, I never go to those, I can never keep up with the fast pace of them calling out prices.  It does make it seem so cold. I rather go to Yard sales.  Some peoples junk is my treasure.
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2002-10-27 06:53 PM

Oh I don't know, Serenity...I don't know that the financial bracket is so much different as knowing the value of a keepsake...even if it is a plaster of paris hand's child...even one thing...this particular son/child didn't even want his own diploma...

so sad...

and Miah...yes...someone's "stuff" always ends up being a treasure to me!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What If?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary