navwin » Discussion » Feelings » How do you feel about ......
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic How do you feel about ...... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State

0 posted 2002-09-11 03:05 PM

....the media rebroadcasting over and over again
the tragic events that took place a year ago, 9-11?

I understand the need and importance for tributes and memorials,
but I don’t understand the need to repeatedly replay planes crashing,
towers collapsing and thousands of people suffering a tragic death.
I think the media and networks have gone overboard with this.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Am I missing a something here?

~Sheri

"Don't wait for your ship to come in ...
Swim out to it"

© Copyright 2002 Sheri - All Rights Reserved
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

1 posted 2002-09-11 03:13 PM

Sheri,
I am memoralizing this day
in my own private way --
without TV's blue images
of violence,
and -- sigh --
ratings.

.m.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2002-09-11 03:57 PM

I agree, it is being overdone, especially the replays of live coverage. Once was more than enough for me in a lifetime.
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
3 posted 2002-09-11 05:35 PM

*shrug*

I haven't turned on the TV all day... I think that the media's worst enemy is probably indifference... after all, no publicity is bad publicity, right?

I've seen it once, twice, five dozen times already. No, it never stops that cold spinal feeling... I never get numb to watching people die... but honestly, what is seeing it over and over and over and over again going to accomplish? So... I just don't watch. I think if all the people who bitched about the 9-11 marketing scheme would just turn off the TV and shrug, the whole terrorism marketing campaign would lose a lot of steam.

I did not design this game, I did not name the stakes
I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes.

-Ani DiFranco, "Adam and Eve"

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
4 posted 2002-09-11 07:17 PM

Hi,I am not interested in seeing the whole thing again, though I think memorials are appropriate. I have watched a lot of sci fi channel today.
By the way, I don't think this is a marketing scheme, in response to Hush. Just  a country that doesn't know what else to do with its grief. But I could be wrong. I am pretty cynical about things in general, but I think this is an exception.
Sandra

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
5 posted 2002-09-11 07:53 PM

It's all politics and media sales and hype, why don't they just sell pictures of the dead victims? Seems to cheapen the sorrow felt by the survivors and/or victim's families. I feel bad that they have to be subjected to watch their loved ones die again.

The business world showed its true colours when that tragedy happened by doubling everything in price. Sorry I'm already getting off topic...but the whole thing peeves me, it bothers me what happened - very much a tradegy, it bugs me the way media, politicians, industry, etc. took advantage of it then and are still taking advantage of it a year later. It bugs me that we only think of it a tradgedy because it happened in our backyard and that the killing of innocents by the UN, States, Canada, hell most of Western society is only seen as acceptable civilian casualties because its okay when we kill because we are the good guys, it bugs me that the States is thinking about going into Iraq again even though quite a few former UN delegates have openly stated that they believe Suddam doesn't have the technology or resources to produce weapons of mass destruction...it bugs me that to honor the dead we go kill instead of making peace. I hate that politicians use people to settle their playground attitudes towards power. It bugs me that make believe TV, movies and video games are considered to be corrupting our youth when constant greed and violence by our very real "leaders" are seen as good examples. And it most definetly bugs me that I feel helpless and fearful because there ain't a damn thing I feel I can do about it. Okay, there are some generalities in there and its not as black and white as I've stated but there are some truths to what I've just said.

Just like Bush making all these announcements that he's stepping security alert up to code orange. He's playing fear against the public to enhance his image. If the people of America think that there is a threat and Bush acts upon this "threat" and publicises it, then he looks like a hero again without doing a damn thing. If he really wanted to make Americans feel safe he would take extra precautions but not announce it with a blow horn touting look how great a president I am. Why publicly tell the terrorists the extra measures your country is taking if there really is eminent danger? Sounds like something James Bond's enemies would do. Honestly I don't like him much, there's a huge list of reasons why, but since they are way off topic I won't go into it.

Sorry, that's my rant, it's not the most logical statement I've made but its hard to keep focused when "I'm angry" keeps popping to the forefront of your thought. Thanks,

Trevor

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
6 posted 2002-09-11 10:39 PM

I agree with Trevor, since when is it wise to broadcast our intentions to our enemies through the media, what happened to the element of surprise. Like the other day when it was stated in the newspaper that it would take the U.S. 2 months to put our troops in place to attack Iraq? Do you think Saddam will take out an ad 2 months ahead of time if he decides to attack us? Did Bin Laddin tell us his plans ahead of time?
This is like telling the world they can do what they want & we can't do anything about it for 2 months.
Japan didn't give us any notice.
Why should we be the agressor against Iraq or any other nation? I thought our goal was to be a peace loving nation.
I hate to think that we might have to go to war with Iraq or anyone else, but if we do
we shouldn't be the agressor while preaching peace.  

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
7 posted 2002-09-12 01:21 AM

Hello,

Paul:

"Why should we be the agressor against Iraq or any other nation? I thought our goal was to be a peace loving nation."

I think it was Sun Tzu who said "the true purpose of war is peace"..or something like that...kind of an old fashioned motto that has yet to grow outdated.

Why waste time talking and compromising when you can just beat some compliance into people? Now I'm all for sticking up for the weak and oppressed, genocide etc, should not be tolerated, I just hate the selective process in which "civilized" nations choose who to help and not too, because for the men and women fighting the wars its about a cause and for the gov'ts involved it seems more like an opportunity. I don't know if I would ever fight in a war...have to be a pretty good bleeping reason...WW2, yeah I'd fight in that war but ironically I wouldn't know what I was really fighting for until near the end of the war. Supposedly the soilders there were as shocked as the world to see the atrocities...except all the politicians knew about it from the get go.

I could go on and on and on with example after example, and blame everyone but the grandmothers, but I won't, because the state of the world is my fault and your fault, our fault because we all do nothing. And we let "them" get away with whatever the hell they want to. I don't know about you but I'm stupid, a weakling and a coward because other than the odd soapbox speech I've done nothing to drastically improve the world or right the wrongs that I percieve. For all general purposes it really hasn't mattered that I've even existed because everyday I get to wake up and know that there is someone just like me in another part of the world who just starved to death, died of a cold or was blown to itsy bitsy pieces from a land mine that I helped pay for....and I get to know that I'm the fortunate one and chances are, I'll be hit by lightning twice before I suffer any of those fates. Ah, but hell, maybe they're the fortunate ones because they don't have to sit in traffic or make the choice of picking one of nine hundred channels. Hell I dunno how to fix anything, but I know that I don't want to use more violence to fix violence and I know that it hurts more and more everyday to feel helpless like nothing more than a cog and to be treated as a second class citizen for my apprehension to participate in the making of Kings.

I dunno, maybe the only war that's really worth fighting is the one against ourselves?

Sorry for the melodramatics everyone, guess I'm just a little down tonight.

Trevor

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
8 posted 2002-09-12 04:18 AM

Hi Trevor

Not to add fuel to the fire, but we all know who profits from war
"BIG BUSINESS"
They rape the people in so many ways I couldn't list them all here.It really is all politics like you stated before.You know even Russia wasn't dumb enough to attack America.

[This message has been edited by Paul Wilson (09-12-2002 04:18 AM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2002-09-12 10:56 AM

"I don't want to use more violence to fix violence and I know that it hurts more and more everyday to feel helpless"

Exactly.

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
10 posted 2002-09-13 02:45 PM

~*Sigh*~

It's all depressing!

~Sheri

"Don't wait for your ship to come in ...
Swim out to it"

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
11 posted 2002-09-18 06:31 PM

In many ways it reminds me of the death of Princess Diana. The media milked it so much that the following years her anniversary have been makred with indifference.
I think with September 11th it at the front of many people's minds, maybe it helps them deal with some of the pain, but a large part is the media using a tragic event for ratings. They do the same with everything. They always cross the line of concern and conveying the news.

Too early for the rainbow, too early for the dove These are the final days, this is the darkness, this is the flood
L cohen

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » How do you feel about ......

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary