navwin » Discussion » Feelings » sick to my stomach...
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic sick to my stomach... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2002-09-05 06:21 PM

today my kids were photographed and fingerprinted for the Ident-a-kid program--as encouraged by the schools and local law enforcement agency--due to the recent onslaught of kidnappings across the nation. My daughter's bus stop was also changed to our DRIVEWAY as were several other stops for the other children deemed too far away---out of sight, was considered too far. Now excuse me, I think I just wanna have a good cry...what has happened that this feels NECESSARY....may the diety(ies) have mercy on us all...

sorry...I am SO upset.

© Copyright 2002 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2002-09-05 06:43 PM

If I had a young child today, I think I would even consider the microchip implantation. Or home schooling...or chaining them to their bed!

Sigh...it is a sad world we live in.  But it's better than having my child forced to join a militia when he/she is 12...

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

2 posted 2002-09-05 06:47 PM

Sen,
I read that child abductions are actually down this year -- it's just, for some reason, the media made this year the time to feed on it like hungry jackals and lemurs.

This of course, brings up the speculation of if the media didn't publicize it so much, would it happen so often?

Still, even one is too much.

*hug*

Mike

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2002-09-05 08:37 PM

When you start up that ladder to my age, you will find that the worrying doesn't stop...it just transcends to grandkids....

caterina
since 2002-07-25
Posts 188
Canada
4 posted 2002-09-05 09:30 PM

Yes, I have to agree with sunshine.  I have three granddaughters and another little granddaughter due next month and I too have felt sick to my stomach when I listen to the news.  It's alright to cry--  it does help a little and then we carry on and do what we have to do.  My heart is with you.

caterina

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

5 posted 2002-09-05 11:27 PM

The driveway dispatch, I'll always appreciate. The fingerprinting worries me. No easy answer this parent thing.
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2002-09-06 01:14 AM

Karen, I do understand this. Should we or shouldn't we? I don't think I'd ever go as far as microchipping, but I like the idea of having them dropped off at the driveway, if that is possible.
For myself, I chose homeschooling three years ago, for safety as well as academic reasons. And while some do not agree with this approach, it works for me, and my teenager is quite happy with this method.
But for those who cannot homeschool, all you can do is make the whole situation as safe as possible, but there is never going to be a failsafe method of child protection.
Teaching them to be constantly aware of their surroundings is a start, and of course, teaching them the 'tricks' molesters and kidnappers often use to lure them away from home or school is critical. But all these things must be done without turning the child into a fearful paranoid being. It isn't easy, but I know you will do everything that is humanly possible to protect your loved ones. Hugs, from another mom who cries for the lost souls.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2002-09-06 03:04 AM

It's very late now (or early, depending on when ya sleep) but...this really bothered me. I tried to think practically about it---but the only realization I could come to, was this...sure...pick my child up in front of our home...I thank you and I would pay you to do that. But this fingerprint thing? There was a sick voice of realism that told me that this was not a safeguard against abduction....but a method of expediency for the identification of bodies/tracking of deviate child murderers. And I would love for someone to argue with me and convince me that isn't true---right now? I hate this frigging world.

[This message has been edited by serenity blaze (09-06-2002 03:20 AM).]

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2002-09-06 11:44 AM

Exactly. The campaign to ID every child is only to help...identify, not to protect.
I too, am sick to my stomach from all the violence that surrounds us. Wearing name tags doesn't lessen this feeling.
Hugs, and keep your eyes open, 24x7, and keep hugging your Trees of Life.

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
9 posted 2002-09-06 02:14 PM

I agree, this is so scary. My oldest granddaughter just started taking the big bus to big school (first grade) I am beside myself with worry.
Hugs to you
Sandra

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
10 posted 2002-09-06 06:30 PM

I worry about my son on a daily basis.

Scary isnt' it?

~Sheri

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things
left by those who got there first"

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
11 posted 2002-09-06 07:04 PM

Reality is that it is probably more safe
with them taking the bus or some other means
of transportation...  The odds are so small
of one of our children being abducted...
Probably more likely that a child will be
hurt or killed in a car accident than ever
being abducted...  But that doesn't make it
any easier....I know the feeling....I don't
even like my daughter Ashley (9) being in
the front yard close to the street.  Losing
a child to abduction/kidnapping is a pain
I would not wish on anyone,  not anyone...

Hugs Karen....do what you can to educate
them, keep them safe....and try to have
faith that you have done the right things..

Hope you sleep better...

Barry...

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
12 posted 2002-09-16 10:30 AM

Devine....I know what you mean....implant?..Maybe, keep them home and home school?...Maybe...or, chain you to my bed....definitely!!!
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
13 posted 2002-09-17 08:11 AM

Yo Blaze.....both your posts sound as though you are catching something?...LOL...it is a sickening world though ain't it?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » sick to my stomach...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary