navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What do you do?
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic What do you do? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2001-11-27 10:15 AM

Yesterday I read a most disturbing news story. I won't go into detail here (contact me via email if you want the particulars) and I can't stop thinking about it. The violence of what occured was so horrific that I find I cannot stop thinking about it. I tried to tell someone about it yesterday but had to give up because I started to cry. (even now it's hard writing this without breaking down)

Is this a sign of depression? That I can't stop focusing on this terrible crime? There is absolutely nothing I can do about it as it happens in another country and they are trying to deal with it there. What can I do? (I do pray about it and for the victims.) How do I get it out of my mind?

© Copyright 2001 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
1 posted 2001-11-27 02:51 PM

It could be, but I'm not sure about this one. I did a Google search on signs of depression, and I came up with this list. Check it out if you feel like it.

((((hugs))))  

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2001-11-27 03:09 PM

Sharon,
I understand what you are saying here...and relate...I have a very hard time dealing with the news--with the cruel reality of all the pain and suffering in the world.
Some people are more sensitive to certain things. I never have been one who could handle these kinds of images...nor scary or violent movies. After things like Earthquakes in Calif, the Oklahoma City bombings, the far too many school shootings, and of course the most recent horrors in the news...I go thru periods where I cant watch it anymore...
I often dont watch for days and weeks at a time.
I watch the initial first day or two of coverage when something happends but have to back away from it after that.
I think part of it is that in the last decade we are saturated with news programs and the images are constant and so much more is shown than it was when we were growing up and becoming aware of the world events around us.
As for your question about depresion...Ive been struggling with that for over a year now,and am being treated for it... but Im no one to play doctor,...I think we are all suffering from forms of stress related to post trauma of 9/11 and depression can be a symptom of that.
If its keeping you from maintaining your normal daily routine or effecting sleep habits then you might want to talk to your doctor.
We are all being tested in these times.
Perhaps why so many of us escape here to poetry land  

Fee
since 2000-08-07
Posts 381
Melbourne, Australia
3 posted 2001-11-27 03:09 PM

You are not alone in your thoughts...
With all that is happening in the world, so many tragic and sad things I think is leaving us all volnrable.

The problem is you have a kind heart and soul, and it does not matter because you can do nothing to help what is happening, that is where I think your feelings are comming from.

Try to remember the little things, the smell of freshly baked cookies, the colour of the most pretty sunset, and most importantly to believe in yourself and that you can make a difference for you.

Big Hugs to help.

Fee

Expressions,
are the most important aspects, they create impressions

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

4 posted 2001-11-27 04:42 PM

The evil men do upon each other is disconcerting to all thinking and feeling people. Unfortunately it has been so since Cain and Able. I studied the Middle Ages for a hobby and the things done by cruel hearts then was incredible. As fatalistic as it sounds there isn't much one can do but "brighten the corner where you are" and what I found (better late than never) to alleviate the stress from beyond our control is to write.
Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
5 posted 2001-11-27 09:03 PM

If you're referring to the story I think you are, with the baby girls, it left me with a deeply sick feeling and disturbed me a great deal. I don't think it's neccessarily a sign of depression, unless you have had other signs. That story was enough to make anyone depressed about the state of mankind and what the world is coming too. Too be quite honest, I could only skim over the article, it disturbed me so much. I'm afraid I have no advice, just wanted to let you know that I felt the same as you when I read it. And if it wasnt the same story we're talking about, it has certainly brought the same feelings of disgust and despair

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2001-11-27 09:22 PM

That's the story Tracy....it makes me sick to think of it..
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2001-11-27 09:38 PM

I missed the story you are speaking of, but haven't missed a thousand others. It is really difficult to cope with the news somedays, and I find myself comforted by nature, music, art, and poetry. this site has been such great therapy for me, as it must be for so many others. Do you think I owe Ron for some shrink time???????
I would gladly pay up for my share.
Nothing to do I suppose, but try to lighten the load for someone else as a sort of "Retaliation"  ??? I wrote a poem called "Tit for Tat", after the bombing started in Afghanistan.  (I just re-posted it in #17 for you.) It's about the only way I know of to stop the madness that humans do to one another, and have done since time began. That may not be any comfort at all, but it's all that I can offer you at this time, besides this big electronic hug.  

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (edited 11-27-2001).]

Interloper
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
8 posted 2001-11-28 03:28 PM

Prayer is a good idea.  Continued prayer is a better one.

Fool, said my Muse to me, look in thy heart and write.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
9 posted 2001-11-28 03:47 PM

It's great to say 'take time out' 'pray' and all these other wonderful suggestions. But this 'thing' will not stop if I do that. MY pain will be eased but these horrific, barbaric acts will not stop.  And just because this is their 'belief' doesn't ease my anger and disgust.
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
10 posted 2001-11-28 09:31 PM

I know, I can't get a lot of horrible things out of my mind lately. And no, there is not a damn thing we can do to stop the ugly things happening in the world. At least I don't know the way, if there is one. And that is enough to depress anyone.
I bet we are all depressed to some degree, since 9/11, but many of us were before too, by other horrible things happening, and life in general. You usually do a good job of keeping a positive outlook, so don't worry about this sticking with you permanently.
(just my thoughts)
Sandra
PS I am still stuck with the picture in my head of the mother that drowned her kids..and that was longer ago. Certain things are just too awful to assimilate easily, I guess.

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
11 posted 2001-11-29 03:27 PM

What I see is a woman who cares, has feelings and is not numb or desensitized to the horrors that happen in our world every day.
I'm off to try and find this article or email you to find out more.
Just remember, you're human, with feelings...
and that is something to be proud of and smile about!  

~Sheri

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things
left by those who got there first"

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
12 posted 2001-12-03 03:19 PM

Irie is right about your feelings and that article bothering you....unlike someone else I'm not going to go search out the article I am aware that there are horrible things going on in this world and pray that it will all pass someday.  I don't want to know the details cuz, like you PDV I can't handle it.  Hope it gets better for you soon!!!!!!
Bridgette

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
13 posted 2001-12-04 12:25 PM

I think the actual term to be used for what you're experiencing Sharon is grief... and part of grief is depression -- it is in the cycle -- and it is normal... it's normal to be depressed -- to get down -- especially when there is cause -- it is not normal to stay down.

This news story may seem to some to be just images on a glass screen, or print on paper -- and some have the ability to relegate it to just that.  The events of 9/11 have impacted far more than the immediate victims and family however, in shocking us into the realization that there is reality behind those stories (even though we know it logically we have a mechanism that lets us suspend belief)....

My suspicion is there are a good many people walking around on the planet with post traumatic stress disorder as a result -- and you (as well as any of us) might not have fully processed everything yet from that incident and piling this one on top may be too much.

Give this a few days and if the feelings persist you may want to try talking to a professional... it couldn't hurt.  It would be good to talk with one that is a practitioner of EMDR.. eye movement desensitization and reprocessing... it is a very effacious technique in dealing with PTSD.

Best wishes....

Allan Riverwood
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
14 posted 2001-12-04 12:52 PM

Local Rebel brings up a few good points.
If it persists for two weeks, that's the official amount of time when you're supposed to seek help for it.

As for the question, what do I do?  What I do won't work for you, so instead I'll say what would I do if I was you...

Maybe take a day off of work and spend it just relaxing... have a bowl of ice cream with banana sliced up in it.  That always helps me out (worked tonight!).  Watch daytime talk shows, and laugh at some of the funny situations these people are in... and maybe learn that your life isn't so bad, if you have greater things to worry about than the silly problems they deal with.  That just says you have a good quality of life, and have high expectations... and that you're an intelligent person.  Good confidence boost.

Rent a few movies you've been meaning to see (not necessarily relaxing ones, just any movie that you think you're going to enjoy).  The trick to relaxing is to try and forget you're relaxing... don't punish yourself for doing something unrelaxing.  Take it easy and do whatever you like.

One day of that should be enough to make you right as rain.  All you have to do is call in sick for a day.  (cough cough, i'm so ill, oh my head, cough cough)

Just my own opinion.

Be well, PDV.
~Allan

"I know it's nice to be known - It caresses your ego - but the society cost is terrible."
~Vangelis

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
15 posted 2001-12-04 02:15 AM

Message deleted and emailed to the appropriate person.

[This message has been edited by Irie (edited 12-04-2001).]

Allan Riverwood
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
16 posted 2001-12-04 02:30 AM

So much tension in the room.  
Irie, dish up.  Ice cream and bananas, it helps you out heaps.
Ice cream and bananas all around!

Irie
since 1999-12-01
Posts 1493
Washington State
17 posted 2001-12-04 02:58 AM

Allan...
All bananas are good for is poking people in the eye ....
that and helps prevent charlie horses!  
I ce cream sounds good though  

I'm not tense....just offended. Maybe I shouldn't be offended.
I don't know...Did I read that comment wrong?

At any rate, I think this is not the place to deal with this. I'll email this person instead. Or Maybe I'll just ignore it!  

~Sheri

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things
left by those who got there first"

[This message has been edited by Irie (edited 12-04-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » What do you do?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary