navwin » Discussion » Feelings » When you feel like the talent is leaving you...
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic When you feel like the talent is leaving you... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg

0 posted 2001-08-09 04:29 PM

I know other people feel this way sometimes.  I just don't write as frequently as I once did.  I really miss writing, reading and replying in PIP.  This is a great place.  But if I can't contribute then I start to feel pointless.  I stop in now and then lately, but I'm worried that PIP will just never be quite the same for me as it used to be.  At least, not until I learn to pull up my socks and write poetry as frequently as I once did.
Anybody have any advice for me?  I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks.

© Copyright 2001 Brian James Lee - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2001-08-09 04:41 PM

Watch the news, read read read anything, watch sunrises and sunsets, feed ducks, hug trees....do anything you want, at least, anything that doesn't break too many laws.  

Most importantly, don't try to force it. When it's time to write, you will write, so no worries.

But I do know how you feel. Often will I feel that I've said all that I can say, and have nothing left to write about...so, I just wait and do something else until I again have something to write about.

Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
2 posted 2001-08-09 04:47 PM

Recently I have given myself an exercise.  If nothing other than to keep my pen free-flowing.  I plan to write something, every day, even if it as simple as a senryu.  In other words, I give myself [ugh] homework!

I don't care if it is good, bad, silly, or pathetic.  [You should see what I DON'T post]  

But as Alicat said, it's not good to "force" things and while I don't look at it as "forcing" myself, but rather, a task, I have come comfortable with the days that the muse isn't working, and I dash off a note to a friend, instead.

Another trick?  You know some people in here by now, Allan, whose work you admire and have a style of their own.  When you look at the rock, tree, sunset, etc., do you ever find yourself imagining how this Poet or that Poet would write of it?  Can you hear "their" words come into play?  Yes?  How would you change what "they" said into what or how you would say it or are feeling the moment?

In the meantime, pull up your socks, they're wrinkling around your ankles...

Allan Riverwood
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
3 posted 2001-08-09 05:09 PM

Ah, thank you both.
Lady in White, that's some very unusual advice... thank you for it.  No, I have never tried that, but it will be kept in mind.

Blood Moon
Host: lark.crodo.com
Port: 1313

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
4 posted 2001-08-09 08:31 PM

Alan, I don't know if this will help, but I never force myself into writing. If my muse is not with me, and believe me, she takes a lot of days off, I just accept.

I used to worry about it too, but not anymore. It makes me feel comfortable, I just wait and she always find her way back to me. You'll still be a poet, even if you write only one poem a year. In the meantime I just enjoy the writing of others and sometimes get my inspiration from them.

The world won't change if you don't write as much as you did. No engine can run forever and ever without resting once in a while.

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Feel free to use the pictures on my website. http://communities.msn.com/Titiasplace/

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2001-08-09 11:24 PM

Well, you know that I've been stuck in a rut for awhile, so I'm not really one to give advice. I'll tell you what I do, though. Nothing. I whine about not being able to write, of course (hehe) but I don't think there is anything we can do to get it going again. We just have to wait for it to come.

"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel."-Machiavelli

citizenx
since 2001-07-31
Posts 189
motorcade
6 posted 2001-08-10 06:59 PM

Allan this is natural, I believe. When you first start writing it is on a clean slate. You can write about every emotion, soon you use up all those primary inspirations then you have to search harder. Only a fool says writing gets easier, I don't believe it does. At the start you are exploring trying things out soon you become more focused your writing improves your standards in yourself become higher.

I have had months where I have written nothing, never force poetry, but remember don't write simply to share poems with people on the site, write for yourself
and write anything don't worry about its merit or structure. And READ READ READ.
Also get people to make suggestions, write about simple things, and READ READ READ.

Writing poetry never gets easier but your writing gets better, that is the payoff.

shadows flicker sweet end tame
dancing like crazy mourners" magazine

Allan Riverwood
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
7 posted 2001-08-10 07:10 PM

citizenx, I'm nodding.  Everything you said is everything going on in my mind.  
Well said indeed, thank you for your input.

Blood Moon
Host: lark.crodo.com
Port: 1313

maeve
since 2001-08-01
Posts 139
In the Outback
8 posted 2001-08-11 08:29 PM

Hi Allan, I don't think anyone here is pointless. If you're not writing, you can be reading and commenting on others work. If you can help someone else with what they are doing you have a use here.  
Your muse will come back. I had the mother of all blocks, (don't we all?) but just making a new friend and chatting to him nearly everyday has helped my muse no end. Go with the flow, it will come back and then you'll be posting with a vengance, and wondering why you felt like this.  

Maeve

Take me home to Erin's shores,
to where my heart roams free.

Moon Dust
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
9 posted 2001-08-16 06:27 PM

Hey the longest I didn't write was a year. But yeah I know what your going and if your starting to miss it then I think its time to write again. So anyway how I do it is just write about losing my muse and it usally gets me going again. But yeah there are so many other suggestions here, think I might try a few next time i'm blocked

You don't have a choice to die but you do have a choice how you meet it.

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
10 posted 2001-08-17 10:27 AM

Allan I suggest a very large net and a whip. What for? Well you'd assume catching your muse but you'd be surprised what they do for scaring the SOB out of hiding.   Lure him out with cookies or muffins. If that fails, write a small piece ON cookies or muffins. It can just be something small like a 4 line poem or whatever. This way you still have the juices flowing, even if it isn't in the way you want.  

I'm a little teapot, short and stout! Here is my handle, here is my spout. *toot toot*

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
11 posted 2001-08-21 05:47 PM

To be honest i am beginning to feel the same way, but maybe it's only this college thing. My advice is to just hang in there. If you can't get into the Pip thing then it's just not right for you and you shouldn't feel guitly about it.
TunaKaHuna
since 2001-06-28
Posts 19
United States
12 posted 2001-08-26 06:27 PM

If you leave for a while people here will miss you. But, we will always be here to take you back...Sometime away might be good for a while, you can always come back.

-Brenton

Heavens Tears
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-03-15
Posts 677

13 posted 2001-08-27 03:25 PM

I have had almost the same problem Allan.  I have had major writers block for the last month or so.  But I still try to reply to poetry here.  Something I have found that helps me is to keep an "idea journal".  Also, I keep a diary, and I'll sometimes write 5 to 10 pages a day.  A lot of times when I read back over it to things I have thought w/out realizing it, I get ideas for a poem.  Just an idea.  

Also, citizenx, I know exactly what you mean about raising your standards.  I will write a poem and not like it, but when I think about it, a few months ago I would have though it my best.  

Well Allan, I hope that you find your muse again, or it finds you soon.  Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Heavens Tears (edited 08-27-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » When you feel like the talent is leaving you...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary