navwin » Discussion » Feelings » suicide
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic suicide Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lil_Aussie_Cutie
since 2001-04-28
Posts 45
Qld, Australia

0 posted 2001-07-01 08:06 PM

Hi everyone
My Mum came home from work a few days ago (as she does everyday, hehe) and told me how a co-worker's 2nd cousin committed suicide (she was only 17) due to being teased and put down.  No one immediately close to me has committed suicide but people whom my friends or family have known, have.  Somewhere I've also been taught that the human spirit is very strong (which is true when you think about it..even with simple things)..however, maybe not strong enough by all the years of being put down etc., as suicide has shown.  What are everyone's opinion on suicide - do you think it's a waste of a life, pathetic, justified/unjustified? Was just wondering what some other people thought out there.

Janelle aka miss cutie

© Copyright 2001 Janelle Kingsley - All Rights Reserved
inot2B
Member Elite
since 2000-09-18
Posts 2205
Arkansas
1 posted 2001-07-01 08:19 PM

I'm sorry that this has happened. I lost an Uncle and then 10 yrs later his only son also to suicide. Turns out the family has a high rate of manic depression and with out medication the people just can't handle stress, real or what they preceive to be happening.
My view is..................I know it has been hard on the loved ones left.........

Blaec
since 2001-04-23
Posts 130
The Sunshine State
2 posted 2001-07-02 11:15 AM

Suicide is terrible thing.  Four people that I went to highschool with have taken their own lives.  All of them were before the age of 21.  I don't know the reason behind 2 of them.  One was over losing his girlfriend.  The other was because she got a B on her report card.  She had always been a straight A student.  She was afraid that she would loose her scolorship.  I know that there had to be deeper problems.  Those were just the final straw.  If only they had reached out to someone for help.  I understand the despair that some people feel.  I have been fighting depression for 11 years now, since I was 13.  I am fortunate enoough to have had people in my life who realized that I had a problem.  Now I take medication to help me.  With the support of family and friends I have my life under control.
The only other thing that I can say about this subject is that if you think that Someone you know is having problems with depression, talk to them about it.  A lot of times that's all they need.  Just to know that someone does care and to have someone to listen too.

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

3 posted 2001-07-02 07:17 PM

it's a cry for help, hopefully, one gets that help before it is too late.  My heart goes out for your friend, God bless you

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
4 posted 2001-07-03 10:38 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope you will be alright with it all...

Suicide is something that I take very seriously and the opinion on it is this. It is a cry for help BUT at the same time it is the last resort for a life that can't be fixed. Or so it would seem. Suicide to so many people is the answer for lifes problems that can't be solved and I happen to agree with them. Not everything can be solved...no matter how much talking you get done. In the end, no tablets or therapy sessions will ever take away the true feelings of what is in you and the drive for thoughts of self destruction. Sometimes it is a waste of life, sometimes it's what's truly needed to put the soul at ease.
It's defintely not pathetic because not everything can be solved with a nice cup of tea and a shoulder to cry on.
Just my two cents...

Never speak disrespectfully of Society. Only people who can't get into it do that.
~ Oscar Wilde ~

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 posted 2001-07-03 04:26 PM

Suicide is very sad. My reply is simple and short because that's all it comes down to.
It's a sad thing that happens.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

6 posted 2001-07-03 06:07 PM

Suicide is indeed a sad occurence. It's sad to think that people feel that there's nothing that they can do other than take their own lives. I have spoken to some suicidal people in my life and I find that most of them have some source of pain, and they want to stop the pain. In some cases (SOME cases) they could probably handle it if they didn't get so much discoruagement from the outside, like you said about the teasing and stuff. People who commit suicide, murder, esc are often victims of the unkind words of others. (not ALWAYS, just some) It's just another reason to be kind to each other. Someone who appears to have it all may be fighting a battle that nobody could imagine.

"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel."-Machiavelli

Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
7 posted 2001-07-05 10:21 AM

Suicide is a tragic event that everyone has to deal with, whether directly or indirectly during their lifetime.  It's painful, and my only hope is that people who have lost loved ones to this can one day heal.  Suicide's really not worth it.  All it does is cause more pain and suffering for the ones you left behind.  Personally, I think it's a very selfish thing to do.  That's JMHO.  It's a sad occurance, all right.  One that shouldn't ever have to occur.

--Marie

You can’t expect the roses to grow without the weeds.

Heavens Tears
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-03-15
Posts 677

8 posted 2001-07-05 03:37 PM

I agree with most of the responces here, but of course, there are some differences.  Suicide is a cry for help.  People who have attempted it usually do have problems.  But at the same time, they arent nesseccarily "crazy".  I have a friend at my school who has been through a lot, and a lot of people found out about her attempting suicide, cutting herself, and her having an eating disorder.  Most people gossiped about her, saying she was crazy, and that they were scared of her.  A cry for help is just that:  asking for help.  It does not mean they are to be treated differently or like an outcast.  Sure, you should not be rude to them or something just becasue of that, but you should also not regard them as "crazy."  I hate the fact that just becasue you have problems, people assume you are suicidal too.  Society has gotten out of hand.  

*Amanda*
I need more time to find the real me...
to fly like the birds... to be set free.

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
9 posted 2001-07-05 06:51 PM

I'd have to admit that I was once scuidial and did try to attempt it once. Fontuntaly someone walked past and startled me into thinking what I was doing. So my point is these people arent setting out to be selfish. They are doing it because they might feel in the way of people and they'd be better off without them. And I know its not true now but its how I used to feel. Also sometimes onece you've got it in your head, your body takes over and you don't relise what you are doing, you feel like your watching somebody else doing it, only you can't do anything. So even tho I understand people when they do it, I'm still going to say don't even start thinking about it because you'll end up getting into a nightmare even when you don't commit it. Getting in this state of mind is worst than depression and loniness itself.  

Don't ever give in, if you do you've lost everything you've ever had and everything you hope to gain, but if you carry on your already winning.

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
10 posted 2001-07-05 11:31 PM

I think that Erica has some very valid points.  Discouragement, teasing, etc. from the outside can push people to the edge.  If we all were a little nicer and really thought about the fact that people who appear to be all put together may be fighting some inner demons that we couldn't imagine, then I think there would be far less suicide in the world.  I also believe that these people feel that this is a last resort, that this is a way out of their pain.  I don't believe that they try to be selfish, as I've heard people say.  They truly want to end their pain.  And it's awfully sad that there seems to be no other option in their minds than to take their own lives.  

*Krista Knutson*

"Touched the mirror, broke the surface of the water,
Saw my true self, all illusions shattered..." ~Tracy Chapman

Lil_Aussie_Cutie
since 2001-04-28
Posts 45
Qld, Australia
11 posted 2001-07-06 01:25 AM

Hi there...thanks for the responses I've already received...I agree with a lot of the points that you have all made.  One person sounded as though they thought I was thinking about suicide - ahh, no   People around me HAVE, however, [not just thought about it, but actually committed it] so instead of pondering in my own thoughts, I wanted to share this with you, my "family of friends" to get your input...thanks everyone  

Janelle aka miss cutie

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » suicide

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary