navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Pressure...
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pressure... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Death of Valor
since 2000-06-09
Posts 20
New Orleans

0 posted 2001-06-17 03:46 PM

I was told by a writing teacher who rarely had anything good to say that I was doing some good things with poetry.  I was told by the Poet Larriet(sp?) of Utah that I am one of the most talented poets of my age that he's seen.
I feel pressured, then, to become some great poet.  The problem is that I'm not sure I have the heart or the interest to work poetry as tirelessly as the people who urge me on might like me to.  I write poetry to release my feelings, to take away part of the burden of living, and that's why I read -- but I've never read poetry for recreation.
I'm not sure what to do and I don't want to let everyone down...  I'd *like* to write poetry, but I can't write under pressure.  I just wish I could find a little hovel to hole up in and disappear for awhile, writing as I pleased.
Unfortunately, there aren't that many out-of-the-way hovels for rent these days, and I'm not old enough to get one.

Kill me later - I deserve it - but for now just smile. (LJ Smith)

© Copyright 2001 EA Blevins - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2001-06-17 04:12 PM

Don't let anyone pressure you into writing!! Do what you feel is in your heart. You don't have to conform to what 'they' want. And if you're looking for a hovel, join the group! We were looking for a town to buy a few months ago...so we could have a poetic community..no pressure..just writing when we wanted..reading if we needed and hanging out........sigh...sounds perfect!
Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 posted 2001-06-17 04:19 PM

Write for youself and your poetry will be amazing regardless of what people say.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2001-06-17 07:27 PM

Welcome to your new home!  No pressure here!
anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
4 posted 2001-06-17 10:46 PM

There is definitely no pressure.  

Just because I hear voices doesn't mean I'm crazy...SHUT UP IN THERE!!!

Death of Valor
since 2000-06-09
Posts 20
New Orleans
5 posted 2001-06-18 02:37 PM

*smile*  Thank you guys.
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
6 posted 2001-06-18 09:15 PM

Agreeing with the rest. If you want to write, you will, and if you are worried about someone's expectations, I say just be you, and see where it leads.
I was told by an English Professor that I was too emotional of a writer,and I would never make it.   I changed majors because of it. Something I regretted ever since. I was even afraid to show anyone my writing until I found this place. And I think most people like my writing, at least a little. So I would like to find him and slap him, really, for affecting me so much at a vulnerable moment.
Your story is the opposite, but it is the same in the end, you have to do what feels right to you.
Peace
Sandra

Fading Away
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
7 posted 2001-06-19 03:43 PM

I honestly believe there is no such thing as a bad poem.  If you write from your heart, and with your heart then there's no way you can write a bad poem.  And if you write, then you should only write for yourself.  No one else... I know, personally, writing always makes me feel better if I've had a bad day, or if I'm hurting.  You shouldn't feel pressured.  That's my two cents    I hope you feel better, regardless.

--Marie

"Imagine a pageant...
In my head the flesh seems thicker,
Sandpaper tears corrode the filth,
And I need you now somehow." --Silverchair

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
8 posted 2001-06-19 05:24 PM

You feel pressure because people have told you you have potential?

Try having your high school teacher telling others that you should win the Nobel prize in literature some day.  

Hang around CA some more and I'll fix that pressure problem.      

I'm kidding.

All in good fun,
Brad

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

9 posted 2001-06-19 11:37 PM

If you feel pressured into writing, it will just take the joy out of it for you and you'll probably end up stopping altogether. Please don't do that. Just ignore everyone else, its much easier that way. People tend to ignore (non-constructive!) criticism, but tend to just soak up the praise...

"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel."-Machiavelli

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Pressure...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary