navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Teenage Love
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Teenage Love Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnight Dew
since 2001-01-07
Posts 50
Forest Lake, MN

0 posted 2001-01-08 01:55 AM

I am a teenager, and I am in love.  Obviously there are many different kinds of love, and I feel many of the different forms, but one of those is love for my boyfriend.  I  was just wondering if anyone else was bothered by the common response to a teenager saying that they're in love:

"You don't know what love is."

That sentence can just set me off on a ranting raving spree.  Does anyone else feel as I do?  Does anyone have opposing opinions?  I'd be interested in hearing them.

Thank you!

© Copyright 2001 Caitlin Hull - All Rights Reserved
Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
1 posted 2001-01-08 02:17 AM

That saying doesnt really bother me. In my opinion that saying is told to us teenagers as a way to maybe make us feel uncomfortable with thinking we are. I am also a teenager. And I am in love with my boyfriend. He is the only person that really knows me. The only person that I have ever felt this way about. Something Im actually afraid that one day I just may lose it. I dont know though sorry about going on and on. This just really brought alot to my mind.

People leave our lives as quickly as they come, but the ones that mean something leave footprints in our hearts.

White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
2 posted 2001-01-08 04:32 AM

As far as love is concerned, i believe that age is not a factor.  First, how would I know if you know what love is or not.  I have no basis to make a judgement on that.  I have to trust you.  Next is that I was first in love in the third grade.  I was nine years old.  I know it for a fact now because I have been in love after that and it is the same feeling.  Don't worry nothing happened.  We only played tag on the play ground.  I was never it but was always the one chased by her.  If I can recognize love at that stage then anyone can.  You said you are in love, I am happy for you.  It is a wonderful feeling and emotion.  I would tell you to pay no attention to those that tell you that you are too young.  If you feel the need to cause some spite you can just respond with this, "That's what you think." If they press the issue just tel them that they are entitled to what they think and you know what you know.  Anyway have a wonderful day.

The White Wolf

shira
since 2000-12-12
Posts 88
Hamburg, PA
3 posted 2001-01-08 10:21 AM

OK, here's what I think. From having already been through it, I can say, it used to annoy me too, but parents are going to say it, regardless.. and do you know why? Because they love you and want to make sure that you always get what makes you happy - for the rest of your life. My parents used to tell me the same thing... and I would respoond the same way "how do you know"... and I proved them wrong - I met someone at sixteen, we were engaged at eighteen, and sixteen years later, we are still together. He was my first TRUE love... and after a couple of years, they quit telling me that I didn't know what love was.

I think what parents really mean by this is that as a teenager, its really hard to understand the trials and tribulations of love.. meaning.. a loving relationship. So, to clarify, I do think that teenagers and anyone for that matter, are able to feel love... a "loving, lasting relationship" is a different story altogether... this is what your parents want you to have... and I feel that parents get the two mixed up. When you say love and they say love, you bith mean two totally different things.

So, anyway, I hope this helps. To be honest with you, my husband and I are getting divorced as we speak, and its due to things that are missing in our relationship - but we always loved each other and did our best at this relationship. But we have both changed, and have decided that we dont make each other happy any more. Yes, it hurts, but all this time, until we began straying apart, we have always "loved" each other. Just that we have differences right now that we cant or dont want to work out. However, I would never agree that we never felt "real" love for each other, from the first day. That feeling was always there - it isnt any more. Sou our "lasting loving relationship" is gone... but our years of Love for each other was real. Some people may totally disagree with what I've said here, but that's how I can explain it best...

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 posted 2001-01-08 11:46 AM

Well I myself am a teenager and have been told that. The people who usually say it to me are OTHER teenagers though. Grown-ups usually respect my strong feeling for my "girlfriend" because they know my personality. They know that I don't mess around when it comes to things like that. I've only had one girlfriend in my entire life and been with her for 3 years. It is true love and I get a little pissed when people say "You don't know what love is!". My response is, "and what do you know what love is?".......people usually point out the fact that I've only been in love once, or been with one girl, thus cannot possibly know the meaning of love. I say, "So you have to be with TWO women to know what love is?".....ok then they feel kinda foolish for even stating that whole TWO thing. It's dumb. I think that maturity plays a huge role when it comes to love. If the INDIVIDUAL is ready for that kind of thing, then so be it.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
5 posted 2001-01-08 10:00 PM

I agree with Dopey Dope on this one...maturity seems to be the key.  You are very right, there are a lot of people that think that teenagers can't know real love.  That irritates the heck out of me also...if you're ready (and no one can tell anyone else when that is), love is an incredible thing. I love my boyfriend with all my heart and a part of me always loved him in some way, even when we were only friends.  But with love comes great responsibility.  You have to deal with fights, lapses in communication, each other's feelings, and any other rough thing that may occur.  When you can't deal with the worst of the worst of that person, then your relationship is most likely not going to stand the test of time.  But teenagers can have the maturity to make it work.  I've seen it, but it takes a lot of strength.  

*Krista Knutson*

I'm a slow dying flower
In a frost-killing hour
The sweet turning sour and untouchable...
-Natalie Merchant

Night_Myst
since 2000-08-16
Posts 34
River Falls, WI
6 posted 2001-01-11 11:26 PM

Love is an interesting subject indeed.  I think that there is some truth in the statement that teens do not know what love is. On the other hand, I also believe that many adults do not know what love is as well.   Everyone speaks of true love.  I don't know that you can know what true love is until you have had your heart broken, yet mended at the same time.  True love is when you care about someone more than you need to be with them.  Sad part of that one is that to discover this love, you usually have to let that person go.  I'm sure if you browse the forums, you would find thousands upon thousands of posts on what love is.  I wish you all the best with your boyfriend.  Is it love?  Who knows?  Time will tell.
Jenn Cirrincione
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-02
Posts 2107
Fl
7 posted 2001-01-15 05:17 PM

Well, I, myself, have a lot of trust and love issues, and, that's just me. Commitment scares me. Why put your faith and utter trust into one guy forever?? So I usually find something wrong with them and leave them first. However, I don't really think I feel this way because I am 18. My Uncle has only just met the woman he truly loves, and he's like 50 now. It all depends on the person.  
xoxo
Jenn

"A person can never get over a broken heart if they aren't willing to let go of all of the pieces."-- ??

Learner's Permit
since 2001-01-17
Posts 9
Australia
8 posted 2001-01-18 04:54 AM

Age never matter, we understand what love is from experience. A respond from an adult "You don't know what love is" toward a teenager - i say they had underesimated us.

Jenn Cirrincione, yes, she said "I am just scared of committing myself to one person" - a guy got dumped from his first and only girlfriend he ever had. Still I dont understand, why say those loving lines in the first place?

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
A.Einstein

Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
9 posted 2001-01-19 08:04 PM

I think that a great deal of teenagers don't know what love is.  THey have the capability to just as well as an adult.. but some can take it for granted, or believe they've found someone better and leave.  it all depends on the person.  All I know is that if you love someone, you love them for who they are, and not who you want them to be.  It's been hard for me to see that sometimes, but I have.  Hope you and Jeff do alright.  

"Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other course, no other way... No day but today"
~Broadway Musical RENT~

*Cassandra Roseen*

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
10 posted 2001-01-19 08:35 PM

...*sneaking in*...

I think the one thing most teens do not lack - is intensity!  

While I tend to agree to a point that most people aren't ready at such a young age to be involved in a committed, in-depth relationship, I think it also need to be recognized that what you feel, no matter how old, is just as real to you as anyone else's feelings are to them. Are you really in love? I don't know. But that it feels that way to you means that it's important to you and shouldn't be denigrated. Should you continue this relationship, forming it more in-depth? I doubt it... but if there's one thing I remember and know about teens: Telling them what not to do is probably the most likely way to get them to do it.  

C

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Teenage Love

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary