navwin » Discussion » Feelings » A dried-up well
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic A dried-up well Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
since 2000-04-26
Posts 113
Amherst, MA, USA

0 posted 2000-12-09 06:16 PM

I don't want to sound whiny but I figured if I was going to whine the "feelings" topic was the place to do so...

Lately I have nothing to say. I just don't care about anything. I read other people's writing, here for example, and I am just awestruck by their ability to put their thoughts into words, to even have those thoughts. I used to consider myself a "good writer," mostly because people told me I was. But I haven't produced anything I'm proud of since summer, and I fear for my future because I have always seen myself being a writer someday... well if I'm not a writer, what am I?

I can't stand to look at people because I feel like they all have something I don't: the ability to produce original thoughts, and experience to base it on. I know I'm only 17, and it's probably just senior slump, but honestly I just don't see the point of my existence right now considering I have nothing to say...

Anyone ever been through this?

© Copyright 2000 Paula - All Rights Reserved
IsGona
since 2000-07-14
Posts 723

1 posted 2000-12-09 07:37 PM

hmmm...
Why don't you write about what you just said?
In any case, every one goes through this once ine a while.  You will be inspired again I'm sure.  Good luck to ya, and enjoy your senior year.  
IsGona

"Every body has their destiny...
I'LL CHOOSE MY OWN
~Hatebreed~

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2000-12-09 07:44 PM

Hi 7,

Yes...it has happened..still does in fact. The hardest thing is keeping faith in YOUR talent and ability. I get resentful of someone if they are posting 3 or 4 poems and day and I can't even write one a week...or a month!!!

This book helps me a lot - it's got some good suggestions/lessons in it:

"Creating Poetry" by John Drury.

It's helpful for any writer.

Good luck!!!

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 posted 2000-12-10 01:17 AM

Well i'm 17 too.........i have been through MANY upon MANY slumps. All i can say is that i always got through them. I was in a slump for 3 weeks and thought my whole passion had stopped, but little did i know that after those 3 weeks were up i was about to writer 157 poems in less than 5 months....and still going may I add.
Anyway......just think positive.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I hate your socks. I'd like to burn them!

White Wolf
since 1999-09-18
Posts 371
Somewhere in the vast wasteland
4 posted 2000-12-10 06:09 PM

Ok so here is the scoop.  I am there now.  I have been there since April or May.  I forget.  It is tough.  I can get a few lines and then it just all falls apart.  I can't think of how to say things or just plain lose the thought outright.  I have been in a depression of sorts lately.  I love to come here and read the poetry of other people but it is a kind of double edged sword.  On one hand I love reading poetry and getting that look into someone's heart but on the flip side it just reminds me of the fact that I am unable to write.  As a side note I do read much of what is posted but along with this block, I can't seem to think of a reply.  I have no idea what is wrong or where to start to fix it.  Seems to be an endless spiral.  One thing I do know though is that there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Throughout 1999 I was unable to produce a single piece of finished poetry.  I have a box of my unfinished stuff and individual lines that would work well in a piece.  This year I have produced a couple of pieces that I felt were pretty good or at least I thought well enough of the finished product to post them.  Anyway I am writing a book.  I am suprised.  I guess, in short, I just wanted to say that I have been there, am there and I know that there is a light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel.  Have a wonderful day and I hope this helps, if not then look at it this way.  At least you have company in that boat.

The White Wolf

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
5 posted 2000-12-11 01:40 AM

Take it from an old dog that has been around many bush.  I don't always lift my leg into matters in these sort of places: meaning replying where the answers are inside of someone.  If you are to be a writer than you will be, no matter what.  You may not write for years, but if you are meant to, you will in time.  Am 48 and still write.

[This message has been edited by merlynh (edited 12-11-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » A dried-up well

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary