navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Helping advice (somewhat)
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Helping advice (somewhat) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia

0 posted 2000-09-05 09:48 AM

Well most would have seen me around somewhere in passions...however I have become discouraged with writting more poetry without any reason in particular. I am asking for any helpfull advise on my style of writting...As I know not many carry my straight forward approach....I dont know if it is welcomed in passions or if anyone has enjoyed or disliked it....helpfull critisism would be helpfull...I cant seem to post another poem and I badly want to...Please feel free to say what you think is needed....I am trying to improve my writting and doing this would be extremly wanted.
I enjoy my time at passions and want to continue.

Thanks

~Cherie~

© Copyright 2000 Cherie - All Rights Reserved
Wesley the Blue
since 1999-09-02
Posts 426
Forest Lake, MN, USA
1 posted 2000-09-05 10:32 AM

Try posting in the Critical Analysis forum.  The people there are devoted to helping you write better poetry, and you can see what other people are doing and how people react to different kinds of poem.

C'ya 'round

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2000-09-05 10:53 AM

You can also note at the bottom of your poetry that critique is welcome. Most poets in Open Forum prefer not to be critiqued. And of course, you can post in CA. They are more than willing to help out.  
Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
3 posted 2000-09-06 03:43 AM

~Well I do appreciate you replying and giving the advise to go to CA but thats not the kind of help or advice I am asking for. I was asking for helpfull hints or tips to writting a better poem...I dont want one of my poems ripped apart for analysis...i was just hoping fellow poets could lend me some info on how they gain ispirtation, what type of rhythym they prefer..ect. I'd like to experiment a bit more and it would be nice to learn about other people's motivation and so forth. Thanks again for replying, but for now, i'll be staying clear of CA until I can write something im really certain of.

~Cherie~

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
4 posted 2000-09-06 09:03 AM

Hi Beth,
I don't really know anybody on this board even though I have been here a while. I read alot of poetry in the forums but am sometimes to shy to even comment! I wanted to let you know that I read alot of your poetry and I really like it! I write alot of my poems the same way, short and to the point! Don't give up on your own special voice, it's your way of communicating to the world and it is your OWN way!

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2000-09-06 10:00 AM

Feel free also to join us in the Poetry Workshop - We cover something different every month - and we have quite a motley group who frequent the place - Sometimes we even learn a bit about poetry... C'mon over - You're more than welcome..
Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
6 posted 2000-09-06 11:39 AM

~Debbie,
Thankyou so very much. I appreciate your kinds words greatly..I have been using the same techniques for quite some time now and I guess i should keep them up..They are what make me happy after all..Again thankyou~

~Nan,
Thankyou kindly for welcoming me into The Poetry Workshop. I hope to see you there~

~Cherie~

Trew
since 2000-06-10
Posts 365
Ottawa, Canada
7 posted 2000-09-07 05:17 AM

Beth,

Inspiration for me can come from emotional highs or lows, conversations, or just mere pondering.  My personal favourite poems are those that effectively capture a single moment in time... the ones that paint a still image in your mind.  To do that effectively is truly an art.
I am definitely not the right person to comment on rhyme, meter, cadence, etc.  I have been working on it lately, but it still seems forced, somehow.  My favourite style has always been free verse.  I do admire a poet that can rhyme so very well, I just find it limiting sometimes.
Not too sure if this was the kind of comment you were looking for, but it's all I've got!

Most important thing?  Keep writing if it makes you happy.  If it becomes a labour, let it rest for a while.  It will come back to you.

Trev.

Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
8 posted 2000-09-07 05:45 AM

~Trew,
You are right!! It somewhat became a chore but now that i have found the adult section I am a much happier person...LOL...But I appreciate you taking the time to reply and letting me know what you think....Your opinion is valued as all other poets in passions~

~Cherie~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Helping advice (somewhat)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary