navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Doesn't matter if I know it, as long as the paper shows it
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Doesn't matter if I know it, as long as the paper shows it Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Clay
since 2000-04-11
Posts 2

0 posted 2000-04-11 11:50 PM

I just wanted to bring this up and see what others had to say about it.  I am 14 years old and I'm in highschool right now.  
     I have a problem with school somtimes, it's a condition that everyone has in school... but some don't care or recognize it.  The condition is that we no longer learn to learn, we learn to get the grade.  That has been drilled into our heads.  No matter what it's all the grade.  Doesn't matter if you know it, it's the grade, and goes the other way, doesn't matter if you dont' know it, it's the grade.  No one ever learns to learn, well at least most of my generation.  I don't know how to overcome this problem but I'm working on it.  I notice i may be doing a lot more work then I need to be doing just for the reason of making the grade, and not for the reason of actually learning the material.  People study for a test, not for life... when I study a list of words for German class I don't say to myself "ok, I'm going to learn these and hold them in my head for the rest of my life so they will benefit me"  I say "ok, gonna learn this, take the test and then not care about it".
      Anyway I guess I'm kind of going on a tangent on somthing that doesn't really pertain to anything I was just wondering if maybe anyone knows what I'm talking about it.  I've been thinking of doing homschool for maybe that will help me get out of that condition.  And I've been trying to do extra things, read about what interests me (psychology mostly, or science) and try to tell myself that I"m doing it because I want to know this to get smarter, not so it willl be on some paper that I did it.

© Copyright 2000 Clay - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2000-04-12 12:03 PM

I think the difference is learning to LOVE to learn....to get excited about the discoveries you can make when you learn something new...what subject excites you? History, Math, Geography? Explore them...read them..and enjoy them....

Teachers are often overworked and have to abide by the curriculum they've been given.. their joy of teaching you to learn may be overridden by the School Board's need to move the class along, get the higher test scores...

Sorry, I'm not a teacher...but I love to learn...my advice...READ.... even on your own...read.....

ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....
2 posted 2000-04-12 09:06 AM

I agree with Sharon, read...read...read...!! I love reading! It's a great way to broaden your horizons and it's enjoyable and ya don't get tested on it!

Good luck!

Love and hugs,
Lizzie

"Poetry is the true expression of my soul, it is my ultimate means of communication. It is my rainbow of delight."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Doesn't matter if I know it, as long as the paper shows it

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary