navwin » Discussion » Feelings » sigh
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic sigh Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2010-07-09 10:49 PM

I really miss Kacy.

There's a seminar being held to teach us locals how to bathe pelicans and other wildlife clean of the oil, and I'm disappointed that I can't find a single bubble buddy to do this with me...

(I don't drive, and the hubby works nights.)

And actually, I have ONE friend who already is volunteering there, but she doesn't want me to do it either, as I've had such problems with reactions to toxic mold and allergens, but still?

They provide gloves and masks and stuff, and I really want to help.

I'm going to try my best to make this happen, but if I don't get registered soon, the class will be closed.

Yep. I really miss Kacy. She'd carry me on her back, or I'd teach her how to utilize the truck stops for rides. (Hope my daughter didn't read that--really, sometimes they just want ...company.)

I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

© Copyright 2010 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2010-07-11 05:36 PM

Um, I forgot that the fumes from oil and gas make my eyes water and swell, my sinuses swell up and I end up with ear bleeds as well as totally nauseated.

Besides, I suspected a ten dollar seminar might be more BP propaganda (there's a LOT of it) designed to allow dummies like me to feel like  I'm doing something, when I probably wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a bird or a turtle or....

Besides, the last thing those poor pelicans need is a daft, overweight, menopausal woman barfing all over them.

Those poor birds have been through enough.  

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2010-07-11 07:01 PM

I've been reading up on the saving of some of the animals and birds, serene one, and I've learned that once they've been slathered with oil, giving them a good cleaning doesn't guarantee full survival.

It reminds me of when we lived on the edge of town, near an old oil field. This was in CA. Several oil well "runoffs" that were not at the time fenced or fixed so that people or animals couldn't accidentally fall into them [think La Brea tar pits] were scattered around the old farm house we were renting. This was back in the early 1960's.

My little sis, about age 2, took a walk one day. It was a real "Lassie" moment. Mom thought my sis was outside with us bigger kids; we thought Sis was inside with Mom. Once Mom realized that no one knew where Sis was, our dog Bobo [a cocker spaniel] when into "hunt" mode.

And she found Sis...walking straight toward one of the pits. Bobo got between Sis and the pit, and of course, my sister thought our dog was playing with her, so she kept advancing. Bobo kept barking, and backing up.

Upside of the story...we caught up with them prior to my sis taking the plunge. But our dog slipped, dragged her claws, and was half-way into the oily sludge/water before we could drag her out.

Animals of course are normally very clean to themselves, and she proceeded to try to clean off her fur.

It was to her detriment. The oil and sludge water she ingested made her so sick that we had to unwillingly put her down. Now, keep in mind, she had some age on her...She was about ten years old.

But damn, she was a good dog.

I miss Kacy, too.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2010-07-11 07:06 PM

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2010-07-11 07:48 PM

Here's my hope - that BP does what they say they are going to be able to do and get that spill [boil?] capped. And if they do not use further detergents or other chemicals to "dissipate" the oil, that it will all gather at the top and they will listen to the farmers and ranchers of the midwest and use the wheat we have to help soak up the oil on top of the water and that the cleanup, which will take time, of course, not have any further time to further endanger the gulf area and that of its livelihood.

Yep, I know I look at things "in a simple minded fashion" but sometimes overkill is just that.

And I don't want you to be putting you in harm's way, either.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2010-07-12 12:29 PM

My friend and I called Wildlife and Fisheries this evening. Even if they were taking volunteers for that, we were informed that it is indeed a very toxic situation, and even if we had experience, our medical histories would indeed disqualify us from any "field work" although if they feel the need for help in a clerical capacity we would certainly be welcomed and considered.

As for the advertised seminar? As far as they knew it was a demonstration, and they had no idea who was behind the misleading ad.

Hmmm.

Talk about crying fowl.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2010-07-12 12:48 PM

Double, heavy sigh, indeed.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2010-07-12 05:16 PM

I've been thinking about you, Karen.     Was looking for you in the crowd at the Jimmy Buffett Concert.+
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2010-07-12 07:00 PM

Right now I'm just hiding from the sun. And listening to old torch songs on youtube.

Hope you're well, sweet Marite.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » sigh

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary