navwin » Discussion » Feelings » melancholia and nostalgia....
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic melancholia and nostalgia.... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
i_am_patch!
since 2008-06-24
Posts 108
manila, philippines

0 posted 2009-04-07 09:50 PM

is it healthy to continue living(dwelling) in these feelings....for so long?

"omnia vincit amor"
LOVE OVERCOMES EVERYTHING

© Copyright 2009 Abegail Matias Bernas - All Rights Reserved
priyanka
since 2009-06-15
Posts 216
india
1 posted 2009-10-07 04:18 AM

Perhaps somtimes...
We just can't help it...
But all the time...no....
Not exactly a good thing to do...
The good memories are fine as long as you are in control of the situation...
I do that quite a few times...
But living in the past doesn't help...

take care...
hope you doing fine...

best wishes

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
2 posted 2009-10-10 10:55 PM

Nostalgia may live as long as it evolves into an acceptance/ appreciation of what was shared.  Melancholy as an expression of grief is normal, unless it is never worked through.  I think unless some resolution happens, melancholia may destroy nostalgia.  Memories can become oppressive and take on a tormenting quality, detracting from the gifts of life present all around, and those yet to be had.

Stephen

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2009-10-10 11:03 PM

What is long?
What is too much?

One can dwell in the past, but I've found
it quite helpful if the past leads me to
a foundation in a new lesson, something I
can pass on to the future...and the future id
remains to be discovered...

what has the past allowed me to share with
the future?

Did I learn any lesson at all?

It's hard to know exactly what kind of response
you wish for, patch...but please come back
and let us know if our responses have helped
in the least little bit.

Sunshine

Falling rain
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
4 posted 2009-10-14 02:03 PM

I was gonna say something along Sunshine's words. Haha. But she did a better job at wording it.

To grieve is a healing process. Whether you to heal or linger on the emotion is your choice.

Nostalgia, to me, is remembrance of a time. Like Sunshine said, we learn and grow from our past. I see nothing wrong with remembering. Yes some memories are sad and hurtful. But did you learn from them and grow?

That's my question I ask myself a lot.

Keep positive thoughts and see the light in things.

Hope things go well.

-Zach

therightside
since 2009-12-09
Posts 64
USA
5 posted 2009-12-09 10:17 AM

I don't think it is healthy, often times I find that the longer you dwell in a feeling you once had, although it now hold no bearing, you get further and further from reality and most times you end up convincing yourself that you still have feelings you genuinely do not. It is easier, believe it or not, to dwell in old feelings where there is no real ability to be hurt anymore or any further because the relationship is gone, but the thought of putting oneself out there again and having real feelings leaves you open to getting truly hurt again. But it is not healthy to allow yourself to dwell in the past, it gets you no where. Sometimes you have to suck it up and not let yourself make something into what it isn't anymore and maybe never was, and you have to keep yourself from asking advice of those whom you know will tell you what you want to hear or are too afraid to tell you what you need to hear, which is that it is time to move on, it's time to live again, and it's time to stop wishing and waiting for someone else to sweep you up and fix things for you. Do it for yourself and I promise you, it is a far more rewarding accomplishment than the feeling of someone loving you. They can't if you don't. And that's as true as it gets. I know where you are and it's not a great place to be, I hope you take charge and feel happy again.
i_am_patch!
since 2008-06-24
Posts 108
manila, philippines
6 posted 2010-06-25 10:42 AM

"Dont waste time feeling hurt"
I cant remember the song but this line struck me.
So, I decided to move on...
Im glad I did.

can you be my friend in  facebook: mamhiebear@yahoo.com
cheers!

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

7 posted 2010-06-26 04:27 AM

I would even know where to begin until I knew what "these feelings" were and what they were about.

Some feelings make up their own minds about us, and we need to talk with them to find out what they're about and what they want.  Sometimes feelings simply hang around because we're not doing something else, like visiting an occasional bookstore or doing the laundry and dishes.  Some feelings need to find what their proper proportion is in relation to other thoughts and feelings in our lives, like the feelings of loss following the break up with a close friend, which are difficult to evaluate until we have the experience of having other close friends to compare them to, or have had other more or less important losses to compare them to.

Wer need more information out here to give you better advice, and you need to do some thinking about this sort of thing so that you can talk to yourself about what the actual situation is that you're dealing with may be.  Have you lost your father, have you lost your pet, have you lost your best friend for life, your wife, somebody you've known insensely for five years, five months, fifty years, five minutes.  Each loss is real and important, each needs a different sort of serious consideration, each needs your humor mobilized differently, each needs you to go about things differently.

And you, being unique, will need to think about each situation uniquely.

Thoughts, Patch?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2010-06-26 09:32 AM

I'm glad you did too, Patch!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » melancholia and nostalgia....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary