navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Sit down and write already
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sit down and write already Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
aaron woodside
since 2001-09-26
Posts 256

0 posted 2006-03-02 01:56 PM

So...I really like to write.  It doesn't matter what.  Poetry, short stories, movie scripts, a novel I'm working on.  I just love to write and I write all the time, it's never a problem or a chore to sit down and write.  It's what I want to do for a living and it's honestly the only thing I can see myself being happy doing for a living.

Right now I work for a consulting firm doing computer system design and I hate it.  It's not that it's hard or even boring, it's that I find it meaningless.  But that's ok, it's just a job for now.

The problem comes now that I actually have a shot at something.  I am writing a comic book for a major comic book company with one of their leading artists who selected me to write with him based off some of my short stories.  Writing comic books is not exactly what I wanted but it's writing and it's fun.  It's a chance to get my stuff out there and may lead to other oppourtunities. But I can't write.  I'm afraid that if I mess this up, I'll end up working at this job I can't stand for the rest of my life and the more I worry, the more I procrastinate and that just ensures that my chance of failing grows.  Or I'm afraid that I might be successful and then my whole life changes from the comfortable, if boring, little haven I've built myself and as much as I want and like to think about that, it's kind of scary to know that success or a chance at success is within your grasp.

So I don't know what to do.  I want to write, I need to write, but I can't write because I'm afraid.

Aaron Woodside

They say the sweet is never as sweet without the sour.  So where's my sweet?

© Copyright 2006 aaron woodside - All Rights Reserved
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
1 posted 2006-03-02 07:29 PM

Imagine your last day looking back.
What do you want to see?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2006-03-02 07:31 PM

I believe everything happens for a reason...you've been given this opportunity, so take it and your life will change one way. Don't take it and your life will change another...either way things will change. Just don't NOT do something that you may regret later...

Keep us updated as things evolve!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2006-03-02 08:33 PM

quote:
I actually have a shot at something.
  Heck of a lot better than not having a shot at anything.

What do you have to lose?

And that, m'friend, is a serious question.  What DO you have to lose, in following your dream, provided, of course, you give it some serious inspection.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2006-03-02 11:51 PM

If you don't write because you're afraid THEN you'll wind up in that crappy job you don't want.

The thing to really fear isn't messing up -- it's never messing up.  Sometimes your mistakes will bring your greatest success -- who put thier chocolate in my peanut butter?  

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2006-03-03 12:19 PM

Pressure sucks.

I know a little something about the comic book industry, and even wrote and illustrated a short-lived series called FemForce for an underground publisher in the late Seventies. Indeed, with widespread broadband finally becoming a reality, I've actually considered doing an on-line comic book. I'm explaining this so you'll better understand when I say ...

It's just a comic book. The absolute best you can expect is that you'll be asked to do another one. The worst you can expect is you won't be asked. Neither the best nor the worst is going to change your life nor destroy your dreams. It's just a comic book.

Relax and have a bit of fun with it. Five years from now, you won't even think about it. And thirty years from now (has it really been that long?), you may remember it fondly but still not be at all surprised to discover no one else remembers it at all.

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
6 posted 2006-03-03 04:39 PM

Our worst enemy is FEAR and it appears you're aware of that.  Get your mind off YOU and concentrate on how to make this comic book really interesting to read.  I'll bet it'll make you a winner regardless of how well the comic book goes over.  Much luck to you.

Rae

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » Sit down and write already

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary