navwin » Discussion » Feelings » She said she was torn
Feelings
Post A Reply Post New Topic She said she was torn Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2004-11-25 10:32 AM

On public radio I’ve just heard a woman
correspondent make an interesting comment
about men she characterized as “stalkers”.
She said she was torn between despising them
and fear of the day they wouldn’t notice her at all.

© Copyright 2004 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

1 posted 2004-11-30 09:56 AM

Well, I can only speak for me, perhaps when she made this comment, there were other things rolling around in her head, but I hate it when men look at me as such...

I'd rather they not look at all....to me, to be noticed by a stalker is not a compliment.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2004-11-30 07:13 PM

I think she was speaking of her 'fame'...stalker was an ill-chosen word I think. No one wants a true stalker, that's scary!
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
3 posted 2004-11-30 07:37 PM

The woman was a free lance reporter
in a foreign country.  Her term “stalker”
was for men who were eyeing her more
as a woman than anything else.
I supposed something like men
at a construction site, who fantasize
with their eyes  about getting lucky
with a woman they see passing by.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2004-11-30 08:51 PM

John, women fantasize too...

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

5 posted 2004-12-01 07:34 AM

The woman was a free lance reporter
in a foreign country.  Her term “stalker”
was for men who were eyeing her more
as a woman than anything else.
I supposed something like men
at a construction site, who fantasize
with their eyes  about getting lucky
with a woman they see passing by.
I suppose it's about "Everything within moderation".  

To me, if a guy would look at me and think about "getting lucky", I'd never look at him again in the same way...it would embarrase me to the hilt, not to mention, if he looks at me that way, then, if he did get lucky, he'd move on to the next, and to the next.

Personally, I suppose I fantisize in a different way....a person becomes more attractive to me, the more they express and share, the more I get to know them. I want to know where they're going...what they believe in...who they are inside...and hope that men look at me the same way, or simply, always have believed they do.

Sexual connotations in conversations embarrase me....unless I've known the man for a long long time...even when my brother in law kids in that way, I can honesty say, I don't like it.  I want to be enjoyed for my mind, who I am...noticed for what kind of person I am....not the kind of gal that someone "GETS LUCKY WITH".  To me, thats degrading....

And by the way, I've worked with many construction workers that were more gentlemanly then a lot of white collar workers.  Men who protected me, who were kind and never once suggestive.  Matter of fact, if a new employee came on the job and he started swearing, my fellow cohorts would warn him, "Hey, whats wrong with you? Don't you see there's a lady present here".  Now to me, that was a real nice compliment and believe me, it was never expected.  It was just simply, who they were.  

They were mostly married men.  I worked construction for 10 years...and only had one bad incident...and believe me...the guy had a reputation, so my cohorts were watching out for me, when he made his move, he suffered greatly.  I wasn't aware of this, until after the fact.  So...in this case, respect was the key, and my cohorts demanded it.  Made some very good friends with them and their wives....

End of story...sorry I got carried away here
but no, what attracts me to a man is his mind...not flirtatious compliments

Now if I'm dating someone, wull yeah...heck yeah, through em at me...hehehehe

But, that's just how I feel, and what works for me, doesn't work for others?  I'm not saying it's wrong or right, simply what I enjoy.  

inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
6 posted 2004-12-05 10:20 PM

okay, hmm
may i ?
please don't slash my tires.......but
im 49, and i still love it when i stop traffic.....  

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
7 posted 2004-12-06 12:30 PM

I have feelings of regard and gratitude
for older women who never the less deliberately
still choose to be beautiful.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2004-12-06 02:27 AM

"choose" to be beautiful?

Explain, please?

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
9 posted 2004-12-06 07:25 PM

For example:
Lindsay Wagner and her still long hair

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
10 posted 2004-12-06 08:27 PM

so are you speaking solely of a superficial, subjective, commercially dictated beauty that in no way can be definitively delineated other than through the eyes of whomever dictates current societal fashion standards?

and here i thought your statement was narrow-minded.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
11 posted 2004-12-06 09:07 PM

Christopher,

I once listened to Lindsay Wagner in an
interview with Johnny Carson, at the end of which
like a shy boy he rose and kissed her hand.

No one tells her what to do.

You have no idea.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
12 posted 2004-12-06 09:30 PM

so the only reason he rose like a shy boy was because she is a "beautiful" woman... doesn't have anything to do with her charming attitude, intelligent manner of speaking, or her personal and professional accomplishments?

and here i thought your statement was narrow-minded.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
13 posted 2004-12-06 09:43 PM

“so the only reason he rose like a shy boy was because she is a "beautiful" woman...”

yup.

doesn't have anything to do with her charming attitude, or her personal and professional accomplishments?

nope.

“intelligent manner of speaking”

not merely intelligent, there was something of the
Shekinah present.

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

14 posted 2004-12-07 07:43 AM

so, he then, wasn't thinking one iota bout getting lucky?  But, more so, simply stunned by her aura...? Respected her for her mind...her confidence....her own style...

Now that's what I'm talking about...admiring a person for their beauty, both inside and out...the desire to know that person, to be simply mystically charmed by her/him...not because of anything "you" can get out of the deal...except simply listening....and being gifted to know these special ones.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Feelings » She said she was torn

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary