navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » Illiquid love
Open Poetry #37
Post A Reply Post New Topic Illiquid love Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA

0 posted 2006-04-04 06:00 PM

Illiquid love

Emotional, love is.
Requited, at its best.
But for gain, love is to lose
In its end of day…

Is best to have said:
‘You have loved’
Than to be joined
With one which is alive
Yet, better off dead…

Love is one way
Compromise cannot exist
A little given for a little gained
Is at best, a loosing game…

So we stake our love on an insurance-plan
To cover expenses for the remaining clan,
holding Love as a puppet on an invisible string…

Love is in a dream, and lives in the end of times.
When the rules are rules, and laws are laws
And time is forever forgotten…

[This message has been edited by JL (04-05-2006 12:22 PM).]

© Copyright 2006 JL - All Rights Reserved
curiouse
since 2006-03-21
Posts 277
england
1 posted 2006-04-04 06:01 PM

Wonderfull!
absoloutly mind blowing.
enjoyed,
curiouse...

Curioustity is a fine gift...

ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
2 posted 2006-04-04 07:11 PM

This piece brought many thoughts to my mind...about the way love should be, and often times how it is.
As I reflect upon this gem you have written,
I see so many facets, and know that the first dream starts as a fantasy that we choose to live up to.
Excellent.
TD

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
3 posted 2006-04-04 10:02 PM

thoughts to ponder, very nice...

And so it those we live with
and should know who elude us
But we can still love them
we can love completely
without complete understanding

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
4 posted 2006-04-05 11:06 AM

I suppose in the end, knowing love will be the reward of those who have sought to know her! Great write JL. :-)
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

5 posted 2006-04-05 11:58 AM

I loved someone once, it didn't work out...but the love that I myself experienced, was something different then I'd ever known, it was allowing, forgiving, but changed me and made me realize, I was worth more then I had ever thought before, it gave me so much, even in the loss of him...taught me about Zen, life, allowance...

and so, of course, I love your poem today
filled with life's ponderings...

Happy Wed.  

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
6 posted 2006-04-05 12:16 PM

a wonderful poem for today JL

much needed! thank you!

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
7 posted 2006-04-05 12:45 PM

JL~
It's always a pleasure to read you~

While I don't agree with this part -

'Love is one way
Compromise cannot exist'

- for I believe that all of life, including love, is made up of compromise ... often giving little and getting much more ... sometimes giving much and getting so little~

- I do agree that you write the emotions well~

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -     noles1@totcon.com     

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
8 posted 2006-04-05 01:06 PM

JL - I missed this one until now and find I must agree with Steven although in which lifetime one cannot be sure.  I understand your write though and you express your feelings well. Perhaps there isn't a place for real love in the word because of the world being as it is but love changes everything eventually and we need to give it a chance.
JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
9 posted 2006-04-05 02:04 PM

Thanks all!  Your responses are so nice and I do appreciate them all.

Honeybunch: You wrote: “but love changes everything eventually and we need to give it a chance.”  

The "change" part is what has me stumped.
Why make changes at all.  If it is indeed love then there is no need to change.  Is there?  But that is usually what is expected.  No?

JL

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
10 posted 2006-04-05 03:08 PM

JL - I was actually saying that love can change "the world" if we give it a chance like stop the wars, etc. but it has to start with individuals and grow from there to the masses.  Looking at the world as it is today results in a most negative attitude towards love which doesn't help its movement.  On the other hand, maybe love is forcing all this turmoil on us to make us lean more towards its way of living which is definitely preferable.  Learning love is the most difficult of all tasks that we are ever called to undertake while on earth and in view of that I can't help but believe there will be some benefit at the end of our days here should we achieve some measure of success in that endeavour.  It plain and simply "ain't" easy to understand love but we owe it to ourselves to try - I think.      
JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
11 posted 2006-04-05 03:18 PM

Honeybunch -
And may your rudder be amidships your mainsails filled and your powder dry.
The WORLD (as we know it) will never know peace and love, in all its trying.  6,000 years of trying make for a hopeless cause for mankind.  History, sweet Honeybunch, is there for all to learn from, and is repeated to nausea.

JL

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
12 posted 2006-04-05 05:55 PM

Well, you see, JL, I have a theory that thought forms have a life and power of their own.  Working under that assumption (and I could be wrong) it would seem that continually thinking that the world is doomed will result in just that. Perhaps we are what we think.  I'm thinking that I'd like to change history and make it a better world but, you know, it was hard enough just changing myself - correction - it IS hard because I haven't yet totally succeeded.  If all of us are late starters like me then it will indeed be a long time before there is any meaningful change.  Fortunately I don't have much time left in which to become totally disenchanted with the idea of love - so, Cheers - here's to love!
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
13 posted 2006-04-05 11:52 PM

why you ol cynic you, JL
and honeybunch is the proverbial optimist
me?  
One day I am cussing out the whole world and any gods that have forsaken it; the next, I am SURE love will prevail.
Dang, am I schizophrenic? bipolar? confused and bewildered?
Guess I still tend to toss the dice in the direction of love, even though I always lose.

Suetang
Member Ascendant
since 2001-03-07
Posts 5187
Melbourne, Australia
14 posted 2006-04-06 12:31 PM

A truly beautiful write.

Take care.......Sue

I am in motion
I am blue
Love is an ocean
I'm anchored in you
- Shawn Mullins

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » Illiquid love

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary