navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » Almost as elated as the first time I fell off a horse
Open Poetry #37
Post A Reply Post New Topic Almost as elated as the first time I fell off a horse Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2006-03-29 02:38 PM

ALMOST AS ELATED AS THE FIRST TIME I FELL OFF A HORSE
29 March 2006

Though he delved deep,
he very considerately missed a major artery,
and even took his early lunch out of
the least painful part of my body (thank you, doggy) -
only cost me three stitches
(exquisitely executed, I might say).

The dog and his owner got a terrible fright, poor dears,
but I soon calmed them down
while pushing my arm’s insides back where they belonged -  
and the most delightful thing of all -
there’s hardly going to be a scar
on the inside of my elbow -
just enough to show off my trophy
(had my stitches out today).
It’s a pity I can’t put my arm on my office wall
with all my certificates,
but, you see, it (my arm, not the wall) doesn’t unhook,
well, not yet, anyway.

He even let me wait sixty years
(boasting all the way that I am unbiteable)
before achieving my first dog bite.

Remarked to a colleague, at the time,
that I must taste nice after all,
but he reminded me (with malice aforethought) that the dog,
a darling, friendly (yes really),
Rottweiler-cross (or should that be Rottweiler-friendly?)
didn’t come back for a second bite . . .
oh, well, you can’t have everything!

The next time a dog bites me
I shall request that it is
the same dog
in the same place
(but preferably on the other arm -
just to even things out)

and I shall hunt down
the same doctor
for his excellent
needlework.

Hmm . . . I wonder if I should ask him
for brightly coloured embroidery
next time . . .

- Owl

© Copyright 2006 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
JL
Member Ascendant
since 2004-04-01
Posts 6128
Texas, USA
1 posted 2006-03-29 03:02 PM

OWL:

Well… I was quite amused by your humor.  Thrown from a horse and elated over the event… dog bitten and saying he (dog) thought you tasted good; else he would not have taken a bite.  You do look on the bright side of things.  Living and making the best of it, bravo!  Or is it Cheers?
Excellent write.  Enjoyed!

JL

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2006-03-29 03:15 PM

Giggles, JL at the Cheers.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Fallen off a horse many times.
In the horse world, you supposedly can't ride until you have fallen off 7 times - or so they say!

- Owl

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2006-03-29 06:15 PM

oh no! bad doggie!
My daughter just rescued a shepherd/pitbull puppy. Little Taiga better keep her teeth on her toys and her dog food, and out of arms way.
LOL, pun intended.
Hope you heal quickly. You have such a great forgiving attitude!

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
4 posted 2006-03-29 06:50 PM

Diana...you are so delightful!!  I hope you heal quickly and without any fear of dogs.  
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
5 posted 2006-03-29 06:56 PM

Ouch!  You have such a great sense of humor!
James_A_Fraser
since 2003-09-03
Posts 972
Out Making Anticlines
6 posted 2006-03-29 11:47 PM

You have such spunk!

~~J

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
7 posted 2006-03-30 03:10 AM

Enjoyed... can't ride till you've fallen off seven times, eh? I must be a world class rider by now!
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2006-03-30 09:27 AM

Midnitesun, giggles at the 'arms way!  No, he wasn't a bad doggie.  I don't think he meant it.  I think it was just a reflex-action.  He was quite big and I think he was used to people being afraid of him and not patting him.  I've healed completely.  When the stitches were taken out yesterday the whole thing had closed up perfectly.  

There was another dog - a pitbull that the other estate agents were terrified of - but that dog used to lick me in the face.

Thank your daughter for me for rescuing Taiga and please ask her to give Taiga lots of hugs and kisses from Auntie Di in South Africa.  

Thanks, Martie - ooh, no!  I couldn't be afraid of dogs if I tried.  

Thanks iliana.  The funny thing was that, although the doctor said the bite was deep, it didn't hurt at all (except for the tiniest little bit) - that was the only thing that worried me for a while!  I thought that maybe a nerve had been severed!

Thanks, James, but as strange as this may sound, it was actually quite fun.  I'm not able to explain that.  I can hear how crazy that makes me sound.

Giggles, Skyfire!  Me too!

- Owl

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
9 posted 2006-03-30 11:51 AM

My, oh, my! That was one lucky dog to have bitten such a good-natured victim!

Poor, pet! I mean YOU, not the dog! lol

I hope you are well on the mend ~ literally!

I was walking down the street one day, and a dog left his master's side and ran straight for my bottom and bit it! ~ and hard! I exclaimed to his owner, "Your dog bit my bottom! He then had the temerity to reply back, "How can you blame him?!?"

Loves 'n healing hugs,
Linda
P.S. I've been thrown from a horse 3 times. I suppose I have 4 more to go before I can call myself a real horsewoman!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2006-03-30 12:31 PM

smiling wide--as I read I was reminded of an incident when my husband was bitten by the family pet of an acquaintence.

No bark, no growl, no warning--just a very calm CHOMP.

We were all shocked of course.

So our friend said, "Oh no! Kiska is a good dog, you pet him again, yes?" (She had a lovely accent, my friend did.)

So you guessed it, as he reached to pet Kiska again--CHOMP.

grin...I understood though.

Some days I bite too.

Much enjoyed, Owl--you seem to be taking it with all the good grace that is your apparent temperament.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
11 posted 2006-03-30 04:13 PM

Thank you and giggles, Earth Angel and yes I am absolutely fine!  Loved your story about the dog that bit your bottom.  Well, the owner certainly paid you a back-handed compliment!  Yep, 4 more to go, Earth Angel!  Hope they are all happy landing!

Serenity Blaze, loved your story about your husband's bite!  Mine was like that too, no warning, but at least your husband obviously tasted better than I do, because my biter didn't come back for seconds!  Glad you enjoyed the poem - I enjoyed writing it, and surprisingly enough, the bite was fun and funny, too.  Thanks for the compliment as well.

- Owl

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
12 posted 2006-03-30 05:00 PM

Your response to my reply elicited a couple of chuckles out of me! Flirty Flirty

Happy landings!

EA

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2006-03-30 07:12 PM

Well now, there are dogs that bite, and there are bites that dog us...

my aunt, when little, was bitten by a very little dog...

to this day, she only pets big dogs.

There was the time when our very lovable, comfortable beagle was not so easily woken from a deep sleep and in terror, he reacted accordingly...

I think the little girl that he nipped cried louder than the rest of us when we wouldn't take a chance, and had him put down...

and of course, there are the vicious bites...when one just won't do...and when society asks the family to justify the dog's actions...they exhibit an even more ferocious kind of bite.

So I had to smile at your poem, m'dear; it exhibited with tender heart and gentle mercy that the dog was going to be a dog...and you hold neither fear, nor regret, that you made an attempt to cross a barrier that he hasn't yet learned to cross.

I like your spirit.  But of course, I have since I first read of your affinity for all animals, in your love of horse.

Long may you pen!

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
14 posted 2006-03-30 11:33 PM

"Rottweiler-cross (or should that be Rottweiler-friendly?)"

I had dinner at a friend's house a very long time ago and unable to resist dogs asked if his tiny Yorkie was a biter.

"Goliath?" he said. "Never."

Goliath bit my hand savagely when I reached for him and Nick said, "Well, he's a biter now."  But Goliath was not a big dog. Ouch!

I love your humor and your poem Diana and your love of animals is wonderful.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
15 posted 2006-03-31 01:56 PM

Sunshine, my chortles at your response was tempered only by my tears for your loss of your beagle when he went to Heaven.  I am very honoured by your description and understanding and appreciation of me.  Every word you said of me is true of you as well.  

Kate, chortles too at your mini-Goliath story!  Your kind words make me feel very warm and fuzzy inside.

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » Almost as elated as the first time I fell off a horse

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary