navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » A new moon will come.
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic A new moon will come. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
gemjop
Member Elite
since 2002-11-18
Posts 2587
Pencilveinia, USA

0 posted 2006-01-01 02:45 AM

With practiced pins
she has tacked
your silouette
to the back
of my door

you are only
a paper moon
creation

though it feels
like something of flesh
is watching

(over)

me

(as I bathe
in her sea salts,
healed)

in underscores
brazen
but fruitless.

You will be sewn

finally

the first
and last draft

and clothed in my skin.

You won't be timeless
but

worn

falling apart
too tight
and
unforgiving to my shape

and I
will lay you on my sill
to feed you

a gemstone
cleansed

the moonlight,

once you are sewn
to my organs

healed

an orchestra
you will find
in the pitch black
of a void

playing back
the years
we have been
somewhere in-between
of life and death.

© Copyright 2006 gj - All Rights Reserved
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
1 posted 2006-01-01 02:58 PM

Gem,

this is a thick one . . .

First reminded me of and I don't know why when Peter Pan lost his shadow and then I see Earth embody you, the moon, she watches -as others are watching too - celestial . . .

and sounds to me like either you are renewing yourself or someone else or maybe both.

Beautiful.

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
2 posted 2006-01-01 03:30 PM

gemjop...Enjoyed very much. Flowed like a gentle stream...Paul

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
3 posted 2006-01-01 03:48 PM

A strong poem... feels like a searching poem. Nice work.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

4 posted 2006-01-01 05:00 PM

You will be sewn

finally

the first
and last draft

and clothed in my skin.

You won't be timeless
but

worn

Sighhhh...YESSS yessss yes...exactly that.

Perfectly said.

Happy New Year!

Library

Mxx

how i would love you, love you as no one ever did! Die and still, love you more. And still love you more..and more
~Neruda~

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
5 posted 2006-01-01 06:00 PM

Perhaps I am giving more meaning to a beautiful stream of consciousness poem than you intended – or perhaps I am completely off track with my interpretation, but the pathway in the moonlight beckoned to me and I couldn’t help but wander down it.  

The poem suggests to me that the new moon coming in the title will be a good thing.  In other words, you will get through a difficult time.  It has the ambiance (for me) of “This too shall pass.”

It feels to me as though the “she” that put the picture up on the back of your door is your mother.or perhaps your grandmother – I think when you were a little girl.  Why would she do that?  Perhaps because it was a particularly expressive picture, perhaps because it was of something you particularly liked, or perhaps it was something she felt would comfort you, or take away your possible fear of the dark, or perhaps just because it was the right size for the back of your door.

The drawing pins (tacks) have been used before (practiced) which means that you have always (often/almost always) had a picture on the back of your door.  This again suggests a caring mother or mother figure.

The picture really is of the moon, but you see it as a Greek or Roman goddess, or a mother figure (perhaps a symbol of the very mother or grandmother who put up the picture) or a guardian angel.  Whichever, it brings you peace.  

Perhaps the silhouette really is a silhouette, but perhaps you are looking at it in the dark and it only appears to be a silhouette.

The bathing in “her sea salts” I don’t think is literal – or even directly relating to the picture (or perhaps it is – the picture could be a picture of the moon over the sea).  I think it is a cared-for feeling (healed) – part of the new moon coming and the healing process - translated into an image of the embrace of water and depending on the salt content, sea water supports the body more than ordinary water.

I am not sure what to make of :

in underscores
brazen
but fruitless.

Perhaps like an imagined dance with sensual overtones, but a dance on your own and so with no effect on anyone else.

I think that:

You will be sewn

finally

the first
and last draft

and clothed in my skin.

could be that you will embody the guardian angel moon and take on her characteristics of caring and healing yourself and others.  I think that “the first/ and last draft” refers to your first and final (developed over a period of time) impression/ interpretation/ concept/ understanding of or relationship with the picture.

I think that not being timeless and being worn and falling apart and being too tight and not suiting your shape is referring to the fact that the guardian angel will become real within you.  You are not putting her on a pedestal and out of your reach.  You are not seeing her as an icon, a heroine, an ideal, but as a being of flesh and blood and warmth and imperfections.

“Laying you on my sill”, brings to mind smoothing out a piece of treasured material.  

“Feeding you” suggests to me feeding of a delicate bird.

I think you are saying that the moonlight is the cleansed gemstone.

Being sewn to your organs I think is emphasizing what I think you said earlier – that the moon will become you as you will become the moon.  I think you are saying that not only will you become healed, but the moon will also (but I am probably wrong about the moon being healed).

I think that the last two stanzas tell of replaying in peace and beauty and from a position of strength and courage and confidence, the years comprising peace and hell and all the in-betweens.

Thank you for my meander through the moonbeams fraught with such beauty and sensitivity.

- Owl

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
6 posted 2006-01-01 08:03 PM

gem, i've always loved your words, and i apologize that it took so long to realize how much i love you(i'm a procrastinator)

Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
7 posted 2006-01-02 02:11 AM

Gorgeous!! beautiful...this just...is beyond words

If at first you don't succeed destroy all the evidence that you tried.

inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
8 posted 2006-01-02 03:28 PM

this is a most haunting poem; ive read it several times and cannot really put into words, but i find it spellbindingly beautiful,
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
9 posted 2006-01-02 03:45 PM

My oh my! Just look at the wonderful replies that you have received! ~ and all the thought that went into them! Look how it affected our wise owl from SA!

This is a masterful piece of writing, Dear Gem Drop!

May the new year bring you much happiness!

Hugs with love,
Linda

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2006-01-02 04:01 PM

You make me want to be a better witch.

(meaning--I tend to leave my doors wide open and neglect the cleansing rituals)

Reading you was, actually a relief.

so thank you

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » A new moon will come.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary