navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Lost Lake Cherokee
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic Lost Lake Cherokee Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)

0 posted 2005-09-25 03:51 PM

A long, long time ago, when I was just a boy,
my old grey haired grandfather told me of a people who lost their joy.

He said they were a gentle folk, lived on the banks of the Tennesse, and they went by the name of Lost Lake Cherokee.

And I remember every word he said under that blue summer sky, cause that little countryboy didn't know granpa could cry.

But as he held me on his knee and the story began to unfold, a tear rolled down his weathered face and disappeared into the dust below.  

Then he said to me in the strangest voice...that made me want to cry, "Legend has it son, that the soilders came one day, and told them to march or die, to a land far, far, away.

Some of the soilders tried to comfort them, as they herded them all in, and told them, "Don't worry, you'll never have to toil or work again."

They said the great white father would provide their meat and bread. What the soilders didn't know son, is when you take a Cherokee from his land...he's already dead.

They marched them from here to Oklahoma and the ones who didn't die on the way, said all they were living for was to cry another day.

The fires burned bright and late, in Lost Lake camp that last night. The elders met in secret council to decide to march or fight.

And when each brave had spoke his peace, the night was nearly gone. That's when the old chief broke out in eerie song.

"Great Sprit of the Lake," he cried, "Don't hide your face this night, for your children will be no more...if you let them fight."

They say the soilders never heard or saw a thing, just a bunch of wailing injuns, all gathered in a ring.

But the Spirit heard the mournful cries of that tired and aged old man, and rose up from the depths to lend a helping hand.

The Spirit said, "My children, you truly are my joy, and I've always kept you well, but the evil these men do to you, even I cannot quell.

But give me a tear each of you in this mussell shell, and when you die, your spirit will fly, back to Lost Lake for evermore."

A peaceful sigh escaped Granpa's lips, when the story was finally told.

Then he looked at me with sad old eyes, his brow was slightly creased, as if to search his aching heart, till his words were finally pieced.

"Never forsake this land child, from these banks don't stray to far. Always hold your head up, never be ashamed of who you are.

For if you ever leave Lost Lake" he said, "Your tears then will fall. No other land will speak to you, just listen to her call.

Never leave Lost Lake son, I don't want you to know their pains, Cause Lost Lake Cherokee blood flows in your tiny veins."

Dedicated to Coweescowee(i.e. Big White Bird) and the thousands who died on the Trail of Tears.

© Copyright 2005 Steven E. Stone - All Rights Reserved
Angelheart
since 2005-09-08
Posts 754
Jacksonville,FL USA
1 posted 2005-09-25 04:23 PM

this is very nice.  My grandmother has a small computer so I had to go on a wordpad to read this. but well well worded and it made good points to all this . thanks for sharing.

Poetry can get you very far
-Laura

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
2 posted 2005-09-25 04:26 PM

Steven

Always such a poignant story...and you have given it reverence...thank you.  

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2005-09-25 05:46 PM

quote:
They marched them from here to Oklahoma and the ones who didn't die on the way, said all they were living for was to cry another day.

pausing a minute in remembrance with you, dear Steven.

You have rendered this touching story in a very powerful way.

Thank you.

Love,
Margherita

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2005-09-25 06:01 PM

Steven, I swear there must be some native blood in me somewhere! Writes such as this illustrious one, literally move me to tears. I have written several poems on what the native peoples endured ~ the loss of their homes, their dignity and their way of life ~ and their lives.

You wrote this with such compassion ~ and very poetically. A very fine job of writing!

Love & Indian Spirit Light,
Linda

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
5 posted 2005-09-25 06:04 PM

MyBrother~
I pay great honor to you for the sharing of this piece of our heritage~
May the Great Spirits bless the land of your home and all those that you love~

You KNOW how much I love this one ... thank you~
*Huglets*
~*Willow White Feather*~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram <))><

Email noles1@totcon.com

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
6 posted 2005-09-25 07:03 PM

B E A U T I F U L !!
Exceptional write!

Don't tell God how great the storm is..
tell the storm how great your God is.

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
7 posted 2005-09-25 10:07 PM

Angel Heart, Thank you for reading my poem It's one of my first. 1996

Martie, You just taught me a new word. Poignant has got to be the best one word discription for the event in the english launguage. It was and still is heart-breaking to see the ravaging of a people for their wealth. Thank you for saying I gave reverance to the story. Mission Accomplished.

Margherita, Thank you, I don't think this is the first time we've paused together.

Earth Angel, since I wrote this poem in 96 I have lost all the things you mentioned. Including my eldest son. I have become a man of sorrows, I have come to know the Great Spirit...Jesus.

Marge, Grandmother...you bring honor to our heritage with your over flowing love.

Enchantress, You don't have to say much to say a lot. Thank you

If you would like to see Lost Lake Cherokee the movie (3min.50sec animae) My friend Brian Forrest at onemanmovie.com has made it into a unique and beautiful piece of art. Peace

Dragon Mistress
since 2002-08-26
Posts 289
Washington, USA.
8 posted 2005-09-26 01:31 AM

There are no words to express the beauty of this piece.  No words in any language!

Simply beautiful..

~*~I'm a dreamer, with broken dreams, and only words to fall back on~*~

StevenS
since 2005-09-21
Posts 945
L. A. (Lower Alabama)
9 posted 2005-09-26 04:16 AM

Dragon Mistress, I am so glad to hear your voice. The joy your comment brings me defies words also. Peace
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
10 posted 2005-09-26 09:15 AM

Steven, I am wrapping my arms around you. After reading your response to my reply, you need all the loving and comforting hugs that you can get...

Big Hug

Linda

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
11 posted 2005-09-26 06:40 PM

Nice writing...James
Sharksbean
since 2005-09-25
Posts 368
jax
12 posted 2005-09-27 12:05 PM

wonderful poem loved it
XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
13 posted 2006-02-22 02:33 PM

Ah   As I read this...I heard Raven Mocker sobbing.  I saw the Yunwi Tsundi dancing. And...I saw the roses of John Ross bloom. Thank you for sharing this.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » Lost Lake Cherokee

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary