navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #35 » Bullet Proof Glass
Open Poetry #35
Post A Reply Post New Topic Bullet Proof Glass Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California

0 posted 2005-05-04 06:14 PM

Bullet Proof Glass

I wipe the pollen from my eyes
and wait at the light.
The map book is cracked with time
and overuse is taking my mind
but I’m rolling and grateful for automatic and music.
The news I guess I can loose it.

I refuse to look at the faces in other cars
calculating the look of a killer.
I would rather see the children with their tongues out
waving frantically and making memory go back
to a time when I gauged the niceness of a person
by whether they waved back.

How would I know when I see so much?
Would he wear a cap or be a she
and roll the window down on time
to keep the shattered glass of him, off me?
--------
From the Los Angeles Times:
"LAPD, CHP officials are concerned that growing public apprehension over freeway shootings is out of proportion to the actual threat."

© Copyright 2005 Martie Odell Ingebretsen - All Rights Reserved
icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
1 posted 2005-05-04 06:42 PM

Well written.

LAPD believes it is best to give a guarantee to criminals that honest citizens are not able legally to defend themselves.  I would not trust anything they say.  They support the wrong team.

Goodknight
Member Elite
since 2002-06-15
Posts 2386
Ohio, USA
2 posted 2005-05-04 07:41 PM

evocative write Martie - maybe we just need to give everyone a gun so we can all shoot back - that is the NRA way - oh my you do evoke so very well - Paul
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
3 posted 2005-05-04 07:55 PM

Martie
You have a point, enjoyed.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2005-05-04 09:44 PM

I watched that news last night...and thought of my family and friends...and I know of no way to "save" them...

as just tonight, a truck accident occurred locally...
quote:
A fiery accident on Interstate 135 South of Salina Wednesday afternoon killed a Salina woman and injured four other people.

Trooper Kip Ballinger from the Kansas Highway Patrol tells KSAL News that the accident happened when a semi carrying a load of manhole covers collided head-on with an oncoming SUV.  Ballinger says that the semi was southbound on the Interstate when it crossed the median and came back out into the southbound lanes. It then crossed again and drove onto the northbound lane and struck the SUV head-on.  The semi then overturned in the east ditch and caught fire.

According to the Kansas Highway Patrol 25-year-old Amanda Hieronymus of Salina was killed.  The patrol says that 29-year-old Amy Keller of Salina was transported to a Wichita Hospital.  She was listed in critical condition by the hospital Wednesday evening.  Also transported to a Wichita hospital were 18-month-old Colton Keller and 10-month-old William Hieronymus III, both from Salina.  Colton was listed in serious condition and William was listed in critical condition.  All were in the SUV that was hit and were either buckled up or in child safety seats.

The driver of the semi, 37-year-old Scott Wegrzyn of Staplehurst, Nebraska, was transported to Salina Regional Health Center.  He was not buckled up.
The accident happened at around 2:15 Wednesday afternoon.

I anticipate that we will find out that the 37 year old male driver was breaking some law...or had a freak blowout of his tires.

So many tragedies...

Stay safe, sissie...and all of my CA friends...just stay aware, and stay safe...

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2005-05-05 05:10 AM

an eye-opening thread here

thanks all

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

6 posted 2005-05-05 06:28 AM

in the stead, to me, all it takes is one person...seems to me, the value of life itself means nothing anymore...unless it hits home...

My son is a police officer, and I would candidly question his department if they made such a statement.

Good one Martie, something we should all ponder and become vocal about...and yes, a great discussion thread.

Lets not blame the guns, lets blame and convict the person who has done the shooting.
Put them away or execute them...as they are a menace to society, offering nothing but heartache and fear.  This person is nuts...and it's time people speak out for their right.

Hugs to you and all those in CA who have to live in this fear.  

Dark Stranger
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-19
Posts 13631
West Coast
7 posted 2005-05-05 07:35 AM

be safe little neighbor
and wave at old guys on harleys
specially if they are wearing flack jackets and carrying a machine gun..(it might be me)

enjoyed you here

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
8 posted 2005-05-05 11:10 AM

Ooh....makes me want to be there, riding shotgun -- with a shotgun!

You really caught the feel of this one, Flower Girl....that distraught-at-the-notion feeling we try to dismiss because really the danger is so sparse....but can't quite shake.

And that of rolling the window down -- what an eye you have!

~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>   ~~(¸¸¸¸ºº>  ~~(¸¸ ¸¸ºº>    ~~~(¸¸ER¸¸ºº>
______________Ratleader______________

adagio
since 2005-03-19
Posts 449
Marrero, La.
9 posted 2005-05-05 06:28 PM

Very well written! Makes me wonder what kind of mind it takes to do such things. Please be safe.

adagio

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
10 posted 2005-05-05 07:30 PM

This hit home.  We had a similar situation in my state.  Thank God, they finally caught the guy!  If temporarily insane or not, it can't bring back the lives taken.  

a very thought provoking write!

and I'm with you: I'd much rather watch the children waving in play than having to measure up the motives of every driver! Yet, I suppose we have to do that a little every time we hit the road!  

miscellanea

Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
11 posted 2005-05-05 07:59 PM

A sad state of affairs down south, there, Martie. Could happen just about anywhere these days, unfortunately.

Keeping your eyes straight ahead, staying calm and gettin' home early, all good ways to avoid the crazies.

Hope all is well!

Corinne

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
12 posted 2005-05-05 08:14 PM

Powerful write from the lady of free verse.
Makes you stop and think.
Liz

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
13 posted 2005-05-05 08:16 PM

and folks wonder why I seclude myself in this shack...

Well, thats not why. lol  But yanno, you can get ANYTHING delivered nowadays.

(cept someone elses scenery, that is)

Have a care Martie, there's crazy people out there.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
14 posted 2005-05-05 09:46 PM

people are idiots. now place them in control of 2-3 tonnes of metal and plastic hurtling down the freeway with their issues/agressions. add the ridiculous modern compulsion to hurry everywhere(time s money), and the of level of idiocy raises exponentially. or am i just negative?
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
15 posted 2005-05-05 09:51 PM

All I can offer you after reading this is
a hug, and a nod. My teenager once said maybe we should go back to the horse and buggy days. But there were accidents even then, and rollovers, and 'highway' deaths were not uncommon.
So, I count each day as a gift.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #35 » Bullet Proof Glass

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary