navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #34 » Home (less) For The Holidays
Open Poetry #34
Post A Reply Post New Topic Home (less) For The Holidays Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2004-12-18 05:17 PM

Sometimes the holidays are not all that cheerful,
For those living alone, old, or depressed.
There are no parties for them to go to,
Some see no reason to even get dressed.

Sitting alone while their clock ticks by slowly,
How can they sing out those great Christmas tunes?
There are far to many old, homeless, or lonely,
Holed away in alleyways, homes,or single rooms.

The sick, sick of mind, jobless, or homeless,
All are creatures of this great earth we walk,
It’s up to us to all help the less fortunate,
By actively doing something more than just talk.

Those in shelters can see all the people going by,
On their way to celebrate with great holiday cheer,
While they sit all alone, broke, and feeling so lonely,
I'm darn sure that they all must just hold back a tear.

No family to share the holidays, or any day with.
Some even rejected by family, daughter or son.
Without anyone to share this season with,
A part of your mind can easily become undone.

While this season you hear the carols sung,
Think about those with no one, or anything.
I don’t want to put a damper on your holiday,
But can you spare something to give away or bring?

Some live on the street in the cold and the rain,
In hopelessness they’ll exist this holiday week,
Trying to stay warm is about all they can do,
While tears freeze running down a frigid cheek.

They can hear “Happy Holidays” everywhere,
And see it on signs in windows of each store.
This makes the lonely, even lonelier,
Some even wonder what are they living for.

The depressed and despondent grow even worse
With each carol they’ve heard daily sung.
Praying these holidays will soon be over,
So a brand New Year will have begun.

There are food banks, drop-offs on the corners,
Collection boxes for toys and food in each store,
Can you spare any blankets, jackets, warm clothing
Or part with something you too really adore?

The main thing to remember about Christmas
Is that these folks are not just homeless today.
Maybe in 2005 we can have Christmas every day,
By giving to the needy, and not throwing things away.

The true meaning of a gift is in the giving,
and expecting nothing in return.

© Copyright 2004 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
1 posted 2004-12-18 05:26 PM

Sharon this is an exceptional write from an exceptional lady. We should all count our blessings and then share them with others less fortunate. Hugs to you dear one. Chrislane
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2004-12-18 05:37 PM

I wish I knew a way to find out how to send soldiers a card or gift that are over in Iran, anyone know how to do that can you email me?  Doesn't have to be a Christmas card, just any card, to let them get mail and know someone appreciates what they are doing for us all - I couldn't work that into the poem so another thing we can all do too.

Seriously though, the homeless need warm clothes and blankets so badly, please if you get a new coat or something warm for Christmas - take your old one to the charity of your choice rather than let it take up space if it won't be used.

Thanks Chris, these folks have a soft spot in my heart, as any one of us could wear their shoes without too much warning.

Merry Christmas One and All - now off I go to enjoy my day.

Horray! We have Christmas hats on - thank you Santa!

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
3 posted 2004-12-18 06:01 PM

Your heart's language is beautiful, dear Sharon.

Our world needs mending. The gap between the poor and the rich is very dangerous, because as you say it in your poem, not all stay quietly suffering in a forgotten corner ... people will rebel against this situation.
Yes, we can care and help those in need, but the problem remains. Can we affirm that our world is civilized when there are so many people who can't make a living, when there are so many who live without even the basic provisions? May Christmas induce us to reach out with some concrete assistance.
Just today I read a review and next to a report about an African village, where children are in bad need of everything there was this incredibly luxurious advertising of precious jewelry ... We may accept differencies, but we can't close our eyes to injustice.
Thank you dear Sharon for caring.
Love, Margherita

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
4 posted 2004-12-18 09:42 PM

this reminds me of how fortunate I am, how blessed

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
5 posted 2004-12-18 09:51 PM

Wise words and emotional pictures from a lovely lady, with a large loving heart...
Thank you for being so thoughful and kind
__________ice/ford
   ><>

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
6 posted 2004-12-18 10:41 PM

Beautifully presented -

Just a thought - so many I know hold yard sales and garage sales to make a few bucks -but there are shelters and charities that could use the donations - your done with clothing could dress a welfare mom in search of work or education and a better life -

My favorite is the Mary Ogden Hall here where they help women and children -

Thanks lovely lady for showing such heart and spurring people on to do the good that Christmas so inspires -

Hugs - and Happy Holidays -  Susan

also - we once did a poetry and wine tasting benefit for the Venessa Beehan Crisis nursery - called Wine, Women and Rhyme - it was too cool - fun things can be done to help out and bring notice to good causes

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2004-12-18 10:45 PM

Susan, great suggestions!  We make blankets here from a yard and a half of fleece, and just go and give them away.  Each has a poem or story attached to the bow, and the homeless love them!  There are tons of ways to help, the trick is getting people to actually do it.  

I want to thank you for reading this long rambling thing, which I suppose is a downer this time of year, but look at it from their side!     I found some things we can do for the servicemen too   Like sending them pizza, doughnuts, soup, hamburgers and cokes, etc.  Here is the information for those wishing to do something for those wonderful soldiers who give up so much for our safety.
http://www.pizzaidf.org/
http://www.burgeridf.org/

I love what is being done with sending out phone cards so they can call home.
And in the article is a way to donate to that cause too, what a GREAT idea!
http://www.dailybreeze.com/opinion/articles/1299596.html

Wow, this could keep going, don't forget the children all over that wouldn't know what a turkey dinner even is.  With that I will leave you with some ideas on being your own Santa, as Santa really is only goodness from a heart being given to others.

Now that should keep all us elves busy for a day or two at least.  

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
8 posted 2004-12-19 07:11 AM

May your words continue to inspire ...

Love and hugs.
Margherita

*Alli4000*
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2004-03-21
Posts 3188
The World of Poetry
9 posted 2004-12-19 11:25 AM

This poem really inspired me...amazing write...you have such a big heart.

~Alli~

Happy Holidays!

Joyce Johnson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-03-10
Posts 9912
Washington State
10 posted 2004-12-19 12:27 PM

Dear Mysteria,  If the world was full of folks like you we'd have no need for shelters and no one would be hungry.  Love, Joyce
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
11 posted 2004-12-19 12:46 PM

Joyce, now if this world were full of people like me, there would be a ton of chattering, hyper people around bumping into each other in shopping malls, just ask anyone who knows me well    but what a lovely thing to say.

If this inspired that is wonderful - drop off a toy, coat, blankie, or cans of food somewhere this week with my sincerest gratitude.  Thank you all so much.

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
12 posted 2004-12-19 03:00 PM

Sweet Sharon, this shows what a big and compassionate heart you really have!! I feel honored to be your friend. I also wish that more in the world had hearts like you.
Heart Hugs,
Ethel

sandgrain
Member Elite
since 1999-09-21
Posts 3662
Sycamore, IL, USA
13 posted 2004-12-19 03:28 PM

I've stopped by the Salvation Army Store a few times since moving here with things I found no use for, but this prompts me to get the bag of clothing I've been gathering to them this week.  No matter our circumstances there are always others less fortunate.

Thank you for the touching, timely post.  Your warm heart knows no bounds of expansion.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
14 posted 2004-12-19 03:35 PM

Sharon

You have a big heart...and you share it well!  

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
15 posted 2004-12-19 03:40 PM

Hello Sharon..your heart is pure and giving.
I try to reach out each year
by giving canned goods to the food bank
and the coats for kids campaign.
You dear-heart give year round...
something more of us should think about.
Have a blessed Christmas sweet lady~

Season's Greetings!

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
16 posted 2004-12-19 03:52 PM

I cannot believe this! I must be half-asleep! I just wrote a long reply and it just disappeared! Then I wrote another one and it went off into cyber space as well! Now I am posting a third one! Here goes!....

Hi, Sharon! I commend you on all the selfless, caring and philanthropic works that you do. You truly are a Christmas angel in the truest sense of the word. The world became a better place the moment you were born into it!

God bless you, your family and all the homeless,

Love & God's Light,
Linda
Peace Group

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2004-12-20 12:48 PM

Thank you for reading and,

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
18 posted 2004-12-20 02:06 PM

It's an important reminder for sure. We all need to be more giving, especially this time of year. Thank you Sharon.

~sky

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas! Jesus is the reason for the season!!

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
19 posted 2004-12-20 08:59 PM

I wish more people believed in these thoughts. There is a lot of talk about giving but a lot less actual action. Talk does not keep a person warm on a cold night nor does it fill an empty belly nor quiet a starving child. I commend you, Sharon, on your giving heart, your actions behind the words and the desire to remind people that help is needed by so many. Bless you and my regards to the ladies of the Evergreen
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
20 posted 2004-12-21 02:11 PM

Well it is only "four sleeps until the big guy shows up" as my girls say, and only four sleeps until he doesn't show up for some, so I hope at least a few people's lives will be better for having someone touched them for the better.  Thank you one and all for your concerns and reading this.  It is a very sad situation to be in that is for sure.
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
21 posted 2004-12-29 01:19 AM

You are so right on the mark with this Sharon.  Now more than ever, we need to find our humanity.   .........jo
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
22 posted 2004-12-29 01:50 AM

I am watching the numbers climb with more bodies being discovered each day in Sri Lanka and India now at over 52,000.  I am wondering if this devastation can ever be reconciled in my mind somehow, and I truly doubt it.  Now more than ever they need cash donations first over there.  What a terrible couple of years this world has had.
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
23 posted 2004-12-29 02:28 AM

I stand corrected unfortunately as it has now reached 56,000 deaths.
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/asia.quake/index.html

anwaarhassan
since 2003-07-09
Posts 181
Menifee, CA
24 posted 2004-12-29 03:20 AM

Wish there were more people like you who gave thought to the plight of the less fortunate. Even in this great land of ours poverty strikes again and again...excellent write and written with great empathy and feeling...

anwaar

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
25 posted 2004-12-29 01:18 PM

Seems we have been asked to expand on our charity due to Mother Nature yet again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #34 » Home (less) For The Holidays

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary