navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Remember Me (A young girl's wish)
Dark Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Remember Me (A young girl's wish) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Danny Holloway
Member Elite
since 2000-01-15
Posts 2034
Tulsa, OK

0 posted 2000-03-07 01:54 PM

In our darkest days, what must be greater than adversity is our purpose and our mission. To some there is no greater adversity than dying or death itself. I wanted to post something written by a young girl afflicted with metastatic terminal cancer, whose purpose and her thesis-of-life in combination with prospective death, gave her a strength greater than adversity. Upon her last days of life she wrote what should be a message to all of us.
                                                        Remember Me

"The day will come when my body will lie upon a white sheet neatly tucked under four corners of a mattress, located in a hospital busily occupied with the living and the dying.  At a certain moment a doctor will determine that my brain has ceased to function and that, for all intents and purposes, my life has stopped.

When that happens, do not attempt to instill artificial life into my body by the use of a machine.  And don't call this my deathbed, let it be called the Bed of Life, and let my body be taken from it to help others lead fuller lives.

Give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby's face or love in the eyes of someone who loves him.  Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused nothing but endless days of pain.  Give my blood to the teenager who has been pulled from a wreckage, so that he might live.  Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week. Take my bones, my every muscle and every nerve and fiber in my body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.

Explore every corner of my brain.  Take my cells, if necessary, and let them grow so that someday a speechless boy will shout at the crack of a bat or a deaf girl will hear the sound of rain against her window.

Burn what is left of me and scatter the ashes to the winds to help the flowers grow. And if you have to bury some part of me, let it be my faults, my weaknesses and whatever bad I did to people.  Give my sins to the devil, and my soul to God.

And if, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you.  If you do all that I have asked, I will live forever".

< !signature-->

[This message has been edited by Danny Holloway (edited 03-07-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Danny Holloway - All Rights Reserved
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
1 posted 2000-03-07 04:25 PM

Danny, this was so touching.  Beautiful words here....  Indeed, she will live forever by these words alone.

michael

Andreja Nikki
since 2000-03-06
Posts 18

2 posted 2000-03-07 06:33 PM

My heart goes out to this brave girl as she makes the important decisions of what will be set before her in life and in death. Her will is a such a touching one. I hope that she is able to find peace. It is the courage in her that makes people like myself so thankful for what I have.
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

3 posted 2000-03-07 07:02 PM

Danny, this is moving and beautiful, it speaks to her strength, courage and wisdom and also to your sensitive, and caring soul. take care, JM

...every moment of every day...
your still with me in every way.
every poem and song...
every rhyme and verse...
your still here...like a beautiful curse.
janet marie

danni
since 1999-11-20
Posts 688
wisconsin
4 posted 2000-03-08 12:48 PM

so often we take for granted the simple gifts that life bestows on us. this is a touching reminder to always look outside yourself, the essence of giving, and just how precious and delicate life is. i am sure she will always be remembered. and thank you for sharing
tracie66
Member Elite
since 2000-01-18
Posts 4713
Australia
5 posted 2000-05-03 05:56 AM

Danny~
Thought I would take a stroll and look some of your poems up, this one cought my eye and when I read it tears were forming. This young girl is so brave and what was written here really touched me. Thanks for posting it, I'm sending it back where it belongs out there for all to see  
Luv Tracie~

Love is the life of the soul...
It is the harmony of the universe

Joel the wolf
since 2000-04-06
Posts 1333
Angels Camp
6 posted 2000-05-03 09:07 AM

Dan: I can sit here and read many a poem.
But this I can't, not with a dry eye.
I've had many friends pass on some in my arms, and the thought of a small girl going with so much in her heart, ?? turns me into a puddle.
Joel.

I howl a mournful song, that echos within my chambered heart, for all to read? nay for all to feel.

Swåmp¤Faerÿie
since 2000-03-29
Posts 358
Illinois
7 posted 2000-05-03 03:17 PM

This one got me....i cried =[ it's incredibly sad and touching.

swamp

And there she weaves by night and day,
a magic web of colours gay.~Tennyson

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Remember Me (A young girl's wish)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary