navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #32 » La'aan k Codka (on the subject of FGM)
Open Poetry #32
Post A Reply Post New Topic La'aan k Codka (on the subject of FGM) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
IndigoEve
since 2003-01-10
Posts 279
Etched in the illusion of time

0 posted 2004-06-23 05:25 PM

For those who do not know, FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) is a cultural practice mainly performed in parts of Africa and has since spread to surrounding Muslim countries. It is sometimes called "cutting the rose", from which my theme originates. There are three main types of FGM, the lesser being Sunna and the most extensive, infibulation (or Paraonic circumcision), which I am referring to in my poem.

Many girls and women undergo this operation in unsanity conditions, with no anesthesia and usually with only their female relatives to hold them down. The ages at which this happens are generally between 5-11, but in some cases it is performed on infants, and women before/after their wedding night. This is to ensure a woman's virginity until she is married. Usually, on her wedding night, she must be cut open with a knife, and at the birth of a child must be sewn up again. There is major risk of hemorrhaging, as well as countless other medical complications, and even death.

In Somalia alone, it is estimated that 98% of the female population is circumcised. I chose to focus mainly on this country and included pieces of Somali in my writing because it struck me as being one of the most prominent examples of the true enormity to which this practice extends.  

Thanks for your patience, and please note that this is not from personal experience as I am neither Somali nor have been subjected to this.

**Please see bottom for translations. (I'm not an expert on the language, but if anyone here does know it and sees a mistake, don't hesitate to tell me)

(Silence.)
It is night, finally.

The long African sky burgeons with milky darkness,
and in between rays of slanting desert moon
she is an invisible child.

Such beautiful skin you have, my queen.
Her father's voice is different when he speaks
of his only daughter,
the black rose among his garden of thorns.

An hour ago, he laid her to rest
betwixt the metaphors
of brothers and kin.

She should be sleeping?
yes, mama. i think that she is.

(A whisper, by the fire.)
"Is it time?"        "No. No, not yet. But soon."

hush.
She's stirring with a nightmare.
All is calm for but a moment -
this peacetime crescendo heightens
to a frighteningly tangible pitch..

Abruptly,
hands seize her small physique,
claiming another prisoner for the dusty expanse
with inhuman brutality
               and

(The stillness shatters.)

She screams, screams, screams -
                until a palm is tightly pressed against her lips.

la'aan k codka
so far from home,
little girl with anxious eyes, looking for identity
in her abductors, the way they breathe, move, stare.
        la'aan k codka
recognition is fatal
little girl with eyes so wide
                hoyo, ayeeyo why are you here?
                it was you who stole my slumber? But why?
                and are you holding a razor blade?
                Mama answer me!

What's happening? I'm afraid.

la'aan k codka
the women force her legs apart..
she is prisoner, a prisoner to this fate.
         la'aan k codka {until}
                MAMA! MAXAA II GONAY SAA??

~~
Ibrahim can hear the length of his sister's cries
in the thick of sanded air.
With sickness, his slumber wanes, and
out of fear, he prays for their repentence
they know not what they do.
                 ~~

little girl with dying eyes
she cannot understand.
her mama, sweet and beautiful, whose
hands smell of camel's milk -
                   Why? She implores unsteadily.
                   Waixa nuune.

Her mother only looks at her
with sorrow and insists
"One day, you will thank me for this.
I can find you a husband, because
you are now a good, clean girl.
My baby, just wait and see."

(Silence.)
She is broken, finally.

They caught her before she could bloom,
cutting the rose
to deny it
of all defenses, beauty, and pride.

Without her thorns, she is nothing;
as vulnerable as the desert
in the moonlight of the day.

**La'aan k codka - without a sound  
  hoyo, ayeeyo - mother, grandmother
  Maxaa ii gonay saa? - Why are you cutting me?
  Waixa nuune - It hurts

[This message has been edited by IndigoEve (06-25-2004 12:50 PM).]

© Copyright 2004 Imbued - All Rights Reserved
Sadelite
Member Elite
since 2003-10-11
Posts 2519

1 posted 2004-06-23 06:34 PM

Thanks for enlightening me of this with your poem.  This really tugs on me. very well expressed

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
2 posted 2004-06-23 06:55 PM

they are our sisters , and it hurts to know of their suffering

It's a horrible and gruesome practice that absolutely must end, along with all other forms of body mutilation that are forced upon unwilling participants.  

FYI  Anyone who wants to follow up on this subject,
just search under the word RAINBO. http://www.rainbo.org/whoweare/whoweare.html
This is an exerpt from their site:

Established in 1994, RAINBO is an African led international non-governmental organisation working on issues of women's empowerment, gender, reproductive health, sexual autonomy and freedom from violence as central components of the African development agenda.

RAINBO specifically strives to enhance global efforts to eliminate the practice of Female Circumcision / Female Genital Mutilation (FC/FGM) through facilitating women's self-empowerment and accelerating social change

Tiersdin
Member Elite
since 2000-11-17
Posts 2364
east coast
3 posted 2004-06-24 04:37 PM

You wrote this extremely difficult subject with beauty and dignity.  

*applauds you*

~tier

muted
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-01-15
Posts 2949
Elapsing, Eclipsing, Evolving
4 posted 2004-06-24 10:06 PM

THIS is a subject that needs talking about..
you have really done a great job writing this.

i want to get on my little soap box..but..i'll leave it at saying..

The more who know these things are happening, the more voices there will be to fight against these horrors.

and i encourage people to check out the link Midnitesun has left in her reply.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
5 posted 2004-06-24 11:34 PM

The extent of your research shows so tenderly here.  A terrific write, IndigoEve and thank you for sharing it here.  We take so much for granted sometimes.   ....jo

[This message has been edited by iliana (06-25-2004 11:47 AM).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2004-06-25 08:38 AM

Your poem is extraordinary. I hope you send this to someone who works to stop this kind of mutilation! I've heard stories of it, but the passion in your poem really made me feel the girls confusion and pain. Thank you for being so brave as to write about this subject.
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

7 posted 2004-06-25 08:49 AM

I never knew of this before, until 2 months ago, when some friends and I were having a discussion.  They told me of this...it's horrifying, so hard to comprehend the reasoning, why would someone, another human being inflict such cruelness upon a child...or anyone for that matter.  

This was heart wrenching....

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
8 posted 2004-06-25 11:35 AM

What a great write about a terrible ritual.....your typo in the fifth line fits perfectly....(unsanity/unsanitary).....very well done and thought out....
IndigoEve
since 2003-01-10
Posts 279
Etched in the illusion of time
9 posted 2004-06-25 12:48 PM

Oh my, I never expected so many responses.

Toerag, I never actually noticed the typo. Thanks for pointing it out, and you know what, I think I'll leave it be. It does seem to fit, strange as it seems.

If anyone is interested in reading a first hand account, try Desert Flower by Waris Dirie. It's quite powerful. I want to meet this woman someday; wow, what a lady.

And yes, Midnitesun thank you for the link. Ms. Dirie started something of her own, as well. The organization is called Desert Dawn and can be found at www.desertdawn.org,  if anyone wants to check it out.

PoetdeVine, that is a remarkable idea! I definately think I will pursue it, thanks.

Thank you, everyone. I wish I had time to do more individual responses, but I'm off to see "The Notebook".    

If I were to touch you, would you bleed a velvet river, running miracles through the sodden ground? --Moi

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2004-06-27 02:21 PM

There was a doctor on Oprah who brought this subject to light in the best possible way to reach a large audience, and even I was crying in the privacy of my own home.  After that show I tried to figure out a way to help if even in a small way, and anyone can by donation.  

This piece of writing is outstanding, and as said, you took a horrific topic and did it proudly and with dignity.  I truly admire you for the subject you chose, and how you tackled it.  Good luck to you in getting it into the right hands, and perhaps you might start with the names below making your work known.

Contact FGM, and write the President, Leslie Platt an email, or call her at these numbers, I know she would appreciate receiving this work.

Phone:  (703) 668-0365  
Fax.  (703) 668-0367
General e-mail is:  Info@GeneticMedicine.org

Leslie A. Platt
President
Foundation for Genetic Medicine, Inc.
lplatt@geneticmedicine.org

Erin Dominique Williams, J.D.
Executive Director
ewilliams@geneticmedicine.org

John D. Crews
Director, Science, Policy & Ethics
jcrews@geneticmedicine.org

"Start where you want to finish!"

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
11 posted 2004-06-27 02:47 PM

To read this is to weep.  You captured the horror so well.  I have known of this practice for a very long time.  As that of suffering of women in places such as India and other parts of the world.  I think in the Western World, we truly do not realize the suffering of our sisters so far away, yet so close to home.  Thanks for bringing the knowledge of this to so many others.  Perhaps one day women will be protected throughout the world from the insecurities of some men whose only sense of self comes from domination.

Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #32 » La'aan k Codka (on the subject of FGM)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary