navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #29 » How To Spot a Witch
Open Poetry #29
Post A Reply Post New Topic How To Spot a Witch Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England

0 posted 2003-10-28 03:52 PM

They always show beautiful witches
So youthful and perfect of face
Portrayed as ideal in their glamour
With nary a hair out of place...

But truth, be it known, would surprise you
For witches are known to be more
Than some pretty face in a movie
She might be the poet next door...

A female well-versed in her methods
Of spells, she is second to none
When mixing her thoughts with desire
A true witch won't stop 'til she's done!

Forget pointed hats and the broomstick
Don't look for a wart on her nose
You can't tell a witch by appearance
There's only one place where it shows...

Look deep in the eyes of that woman
'Tis the place where the magic begins
That spark that you see is her power
Your heart is the prize that she wins...

Beware of the season for witches
Pay heed to the warnings that be
If you spot her, your heart will be captured
Engulfed and bewitched

You will see!

Accept these small gifts from my gypsy heart  ~S~

© Copyright 2003 Sunnyone - All Rights Reserved
icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
1 posted 2003-10-28 05:14 PM

Thank you for writing this.  

Except for the Hallowe'en Parade in lower Manhattan, I have never seen a real witch who had green skin and warts and a big hooked nose.

It has intrigued me that a civilization  which goes to such great (and often silly)  lengths to not show any type of ethnic or religious bias has no problem in holding a specific group up to public ridicule every year.  To many wiccans, the caricatures and cartoons of witches at this time of year are as inappropriate as displaying Little Black Sambo cartoons on Martin Luther King Day, or putting up anti-Semitic posters during Passover.

To many practicing Pagani, Hallowe'en (Samhain) is a holy and special time of year.  It is a celebration of the cycle of life and death in which many are joyful because they do not live in fear of a terrible and vengeful male god "who loves them," they do not face an eternal afterlife of unspeakable suffering and damnation; what they do face every year are the insults and ridicule of the sanctimonious free-ranging ignorance of neighbors, strangers, media and politicians.

There still are countries on this little planet where being accused of witchcraft leads to a death penalty, and where often the accusation is enough to produce a conviction of this capital crime.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2003-10-28 05:16 PM

Thank you Sunnyone, AND thanks to Icebox!

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
3 posted 2003-10-28 05:41 PM

Icebox said it all, I cannot add a thing.
Only that I enjoyed this poem, happy Sarnhain to you, Sunnyone, thanks for the enjoyable read....ice/ford

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2003-10-28 05:44 PM

This is graciously written, sunnyone.

and yes, there's a bunch of us here at passions too.

(Thanks to the lovely icebox as well for the quick dissertation, too.)

to ya both and a healthy blessed be.

Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2003-10-28 06:01 PM

Well.... what more can I say than.... This is another wonderful treasure for my chest.  I loved it all.... It was such a joy to read.

And also... Icebox, I couldn't agree with you more.... despite my own religious beliefs... I do believe that Wiccans, spiritualists, Kabbalists and others are much maligned and misunderstood... and tragically feared by an ignorant population.

Love, Light and Peace,

Sherry

Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
6 posted 2003-10-28 06:11 PM

Hello icebox, and so good to read what you wrote in reply!  I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said, and for a special reason. To be honest, I was born at 12:01am on November 1st, and have suffered the broomstick and wart jokes all my life. You wrote the truth, and maybe someday people will be open-minded enough to respect Wicca for what it is, the same as any other religious belief.   Thank you again...~S~

Hi Sunshine, and I know that you are one of the open-minded folks who practice live and let live!!  It's good to see you here in reply...~S~

Hi ice, and Happy Samhain to you also!! It is a joyous time of year, with the culmination of all that the Mother bestows on us...this little poem was meant to maybe alter some views, and I'm glad that you enjoyed!  ~S~

Hi serenity blaze, and thank you so much for your words here. I am truly glad that my thoughts came across in a gracious manner, and still made a statement that I think is important. Blessings to you and yours...~S~

Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
7 posted 2003-10-28 06:18 PM

Hi Sherry, and a hearty thank you to you also! Yes, it is the ignorance that causes injustice...the fear of what we don't understand. But, as seen here, there are still those who are willing to accept new ideas, different from their own. Many thanks for your input!!  ~S~

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
8 posted 2003-10-28 06:36 PM

This is wonderful Sunnyone..
People do have the wrong impression of what witches look like.
Blessed be.
Hugs~Nancy

~Time has cast a spell on you,
  So you won't ever forget me~

vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
9 posted 2003-10-28 07:11 PM

thank you for writing this
BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
10 posted 2003-10-30 08:19 PM

Look deep in the eyes of that woman
'Tis the place where the magic begins
That spark that you see is her power
Your heart is the prize that she wins...

You be a good witch Sunnyone~
Really neat poem, I enjoyed this so much!!!!

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
11 posted 2003-10-30 09:57 PM

Sunnyone

So nice to see a writing on the good witch...   Fun words for the season....
hugssssss
Lauren~

Will the wind ever remember the names
it has blown in the past with
its crutch its old age and its widsom
it whispers no this won't be the last

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
12 posted 2003-10-30 10:46 PM

Many years ago I worked for a car dealership and two of the women that worked in the office were professed witches, and made no bones about it.  Loved them both dearly too, as they where in most ways the epitome of what people should be . . . I say in "most ways" because didn't know them during their "witching" hours so . . .

Great piece and thanks for bringing them back to mind.

jwesley

A Romantic Heart
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-03
Posts 5496
Forever In Your Heart
13 posted 2003-10-31 02:45 AM

Hi Sunny Happy Halloween! like the poem!

True poets don't write with the ink of quill or pen, but with the ink of their heart~

PouringJewels
since 2003-09-18
Posts 158
Maryland
14 posted 2003-10-31 03:07 AM

I do have the greenest eyes around and I do read tarot cards. I agree that one shouldn't think they haven't meet a witch. I am not one, but they are in all different forms. Good and bad.
Jes
since 2003-10-21
Posts 422
Denmark
15 posted 2003-10-31 03:24 AM

Smile

Bewitched with a spark in the eyes.

I like it wery much

Jes

Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
16 posted 2003-10-31 05:36 AM

Hi Nancy, and yes...people have a way of categorizing everything!  I think it's a natural thing, but not every witch rides a broom, or wiggles her nose!  Blessed Be...and thank you!  ~S~

Hi vandana, and thank you so much for coming to visit! I'm glad that you enjoyed the thoughts here, and left me a reply...I always enjoy seeing you, my friend!  ~S~

Hi BluesSerenade, and oh yes...I think I usually fall under the 'good witch' heading! Of course, we all have our moments!!!!  LOL! Thank you, my friend...was really nice to see you here...~S~

Hi Lauren, and with those green eyes, you will can cast your spell on someone this Hallo'een night??  Have a great one, and nice to have you visit, thank you! ~S~

Hi jwesley, and those ladies gave you a special insight into witches...a true look, as most witches live an honest life, are proud of their beliefs, and have giving spirits!  I'm glad I could help you remember how they touched your life...thankyou...~S~

Hi ARH, and a very Happy Hallo'een to you also!!!  I'm so glad we can all share the fun times here, and enjoy life's moments together!  thank you...~S~

Hi PouringJewels, and you're so right...there are good and bad. It's not always easy to 'spot' a good witch, but if you come across a green-eyed lady, toting Tarot cards, I'd say that you might be on the right track!!  Thank you, my friend, and nice to meet you today!  ~S~

Hi Jes, and keep that spark alive!! Also enjoy your Hallo'een tonight, and celebrate with all the good witches right here on Passions!!!  Thank you, my friend...~S~

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
17 posted 2003-11-01 02:00 PM

(smiles) Hey hey, I found one...uh...do squirrels count? (giggles in delight) Hehehe, I truly believe you have semi-witch blood in your heart, sweet friend, for your poetry "captivates" us with its beauty, yay, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Sunnyone, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sun set and I perceive

***Live***

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
18 posted 2003-11-01 03:02 PM

As you know, I read this earlier and thoroughly enjoyed it... now I slip it into my library to mark the beginning of a friendship. *S*
Magnus
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
19 posted 2003-11-01 03:32 PM

This is a superbly written poem,  I totally
enjoyed reading it and no,  one does not
know, do they?  I certainly would not.

Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
20 posted 2003-11-01 05:18 PM

Hi Noah, and ah...well...I think you're right...I know for a fact that I have gypsy blood running through these veins, and could be there's a little witchy blood in there too!!!  Thank you, lil brother!  ~S~

Hi suthern, and I feel the same, as we got to know each other through this poem!!  What a great thing it is to share special moments with a new friend!  thank you, sweet lady, and enjoy your day, too...~S~

Hi Magnus, and no, it's not always easy to tell the good from the bad, but usually the bad becomes obvious early on...the good ones are there all around you, and sometimes much harder to spot!!  Thank you, my friend...~S~

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
21 posted 2003-11-02 11:36 AM

you know now this is sparking some convo here Sunny:

I just watched on PBS the ergot poisoning and Salem and it disgusted me so

to think . . ignorance breeded death
and still does
I adored this and you ,
My my . . . a lovely soul indeed
xxoo

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
22 posted 2003-11-02 11:39 AM

I almost missed this beauty!
When I was little my sister used to call me a little witch whenever I made her mad. LOL, sometimes I cried back
"I'm not a witch, I'm a gypsy and a spiritual wanderer!" That made her madder, and I'd wink myself away quickly while twitching my nose in the air.

thanks for the delightful write, and the hugs to all God's witches

hey Sue, I saw that same PBS special last summer, it was awesome!

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (11-02-2003 12:32 PM).]

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
23 posted 2003-11-02 12:30 PM

wow! I love this!
Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
24 posted 2016-09-13 01:15 AM

Can't help who you are and its certainly nothing to be ashamed of! Just the opposite!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #29 » How To Spot a Witch

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary