navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #28 » In the Cores of Stars
Open Poetry #28
Post A Reply Post New Topic In the Cores of Stars Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion

0 posted 2003-09-11 12:00 PM

In the Cores of Stars
for Edward Teller*

What is the view like now, Edward?
Do eyebrows furrow
at orange-hazed skies and pilot light stars –
sprinkled by grinning dead Russians?

Or did you find mercy in St. Peter,
your rolling scrolls of crimes wiped clean
by reason of genius insanity?
Surely, God’s list of prerequisites
asks if the earth is better
for your having lived?

Remorse was not a word.
Perhaps it is your sentence
to read its definition again and again
from some ethereal dictionary:
one subject never mastered.

Your simple children’s poems
illustrated complexities of hydrogen bombs,
they zigzagged in the language of twins -
a lover of music, youth and art
juxtaposed to hatred
more intangible than the atom.

© 2003 Core

Edward Teller was dubbed the “Father of the H Bomb”
He worked on the atom bomb and
played a dominant role in creating the hydrogen bomb.
He died on Tuesday at age 95.

[This message has been edited by Corinne (09-11-2003 12:09 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Corinne - All Rights Reserved
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
1 posted 2003-09-11 12:11 PM

Corinne
You caught the wind of symbols and started a storm. LOL

Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
2 posted 2003-09-11 12:12 PM

Wow...this is great read, my friend!!!  I didn't realize he had passed...the legacy he left behind is mixed, but very powerful, and came through in the reading here.  Very well written, with much to think about!!!  ~S~

Accept these small gifts from my gypsy heart  ~~S~~

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-09-11 12:15 PM

Thank you Corinne.  You don't visit enough, or stay long enough...

but you always have something worthwhile
to share.

More, please.

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
4 posted 2003-09-11 12:19 PM

cool your words speak truth

If your afraid of the dark, then why did you come?

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

5 posted 2003-09-11 12:20 PM

His childhood experience with the communist takeover of his homeland then the Nazi invasion, left him forever it would seem unable to think in terms other than to deter such forces from again having the superior weapons of destruction. Colored by these experiences, he never publicly expressed any remorse or showed any hesitation in pushing for the development of larger and even more destructive weapons. It was said of him that after the Bomb was dropped on Japan that many of the research scientist recoiled in horror at what they had helped create, while he only continued his research on the hydrogen bomb.

Cor... sinner of saint..the man was a man of conviction and I imagine suffering from a pain visited on him in his youth he could never release.

you write him well....

Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
6 posted 2003-09-11 12:34 PM

"Wind of symbols" - I love that, Sey! And yes, I've been known to do that - ears tuned to those chimes!

Thanks Sunnyone - yes, he was quite a controversial figure - gentle with children, a musician, yet tormented by his fear of the Russians and any enemy. A darker side than most of us have. Imagine being able to do anything imaginable with your dark side!

Thank you, Sunshine. I should visit more, I know! Everyone here is so wonderful!

Thanks moondust!

CPat - you've described him perfectly - a tormented soul. A dark soul that had the ability to put his incredible math abilities to terrifying use. A most controversial figure in science. And yes, he never expressed remorse or regret. I guess I'm wondered how he feels now. Thank you!

Corinne

EvocativeVerse2
since 2003-09-10
Posts 1279

7 posted 2003-09-11 01:34 PM

Corinne thank-you for the insight into this man. I was watching a special on the History Channel the other night that made mention of what he had done. Genius? Truly. Without his invention the world would not be as it is. Look at the facts. The U.S. stealth bomber is actually a close copy to a working bomber Germany had developed in 1945. Don't believe me? Visit the Smithsonian Institue and you can see it. If the war had gone on into 1946 Germany would have had the capability to fly their own H-bomb to the very heart of America. Yes dropping the bomb was a terrible. But putting an immediate end to the war was vital. I think in his heart he knew that. Anyway...just a personal belief. Thanks Corinne. I enjoyed the read.
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
8 posted 2003-09-11 04:09 PM

Fantastic write and exploration of the man throughout the thread
vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
9 posted 2003-09-11 04:28 PM

enjoyed
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
10 posted 2003-09-11 04:40 PM

Corinne~

'Surely, God’s list of prerequisites
asks if the earth is better
for your having lived?'

I just so enjoyed that thought dear poetess~

I thought it ironic that he lived to such a ripe old age, having invented the bomb that took sooooooo many lives, that never had the chance to live even a small fraction of his age~

Wonderful write~
Thank you~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram
   noles1@totcon.com   

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
11 posted 2003-09-11 04:56 PM

(big hugggssssssss) I don't have much of an opinion on this man as I don't know enough about his life behind the bomb, but this is very well written and I only pray that the science of the future can be beneficial and hopefully aoid becoming even stronger weapons! (sigh) God Bless You, dearest friend, I am so happy you're back, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Corinne, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

I don't need no proof when it comes to God and truth
I can see the sun set and I perceive

***Live***

Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
12 posted 2003-09-11 07:08 PM

Thank you, EvocativeVerse. It's wonderful to see that even though our opinions differ, you are kind enough to acknowledge the read.

The importance here, (IMO) is not so much whether we agree or disagree (and surely he was a man you either loved or hated with nothing in between), but that we read and know about the history of the atomic and H-Bombs. I'm betting some of the younger readers here aren't being taught about this in school.

A link from the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/11/national/11TELL.html?ex=1063944000&en=74f10c12109236bf&ei=5040&partner=MOREOVER

Thank you, Aenimal!

Thanks Vendanna!

Marge, yes, true irony there. When writing this, I was really pondering a conversation between God and Mr. Teller - what an interesting exchange that would be...

"So, let's see, Edward...Hmmm, it says here you helped to invent bombs?"

"Sir, my part in it was small - the science of the thing - I really had nothing to do with dropping the bombs..."

"You mean the bombs that dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Those bombs?"

"Yes, sir, but as I said, my part was so small, just some science and math. And after all, the purpose was to serve peace."

"Peace?"

"Uh, yes sir."

-----------------------------------

Dear Noah - great to see your words again! Included a link above in case you'd like to read up on this controversial figure.

Corinne

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
13 posted 2003-09-12 11:42 AM

Corrine, I don't really know what to say about the man you have portrayed here. But, I would like to say that your writing is absolutely superb. I love the way you take subjects such as this and write a poem about it.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I also wish that you would visit more often.
Hugs to you  
Ethel

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
14 posted 2003-09-12 11:47 AM

God..."so, you're the reason why we had a run on all those extra angel wings..."

~*~

Excellent conversation, Corinne.  You see, I come back to read the reponses...and usually find them to be JUST as insightful as the poetry itself.

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
15 posted 2003-09-12 11:48 AM

Amazing and powerful write Corrine.
Please stop bymore often...
and stay longer.
~Soft smiles & hugs, Nancy~

~ Summer can't be over...
   I still have sand in my shoes ~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #28 » In the Cores of Stars

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary