navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » WITH AGE COMES DENTURES
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic WITH AGE COMES DENTURES Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA

0 posted 2012-02-27 03:54 PM

WITH AGE COMES DENTURES

People who are interested in philosophy are usually interested in word play.

(I could propose that philosophy IS word play, but I think that that would just produce a lot of yadda-yadda and snarky parenthetical remarks like this one.  Which is not what this thread is meant to be about.)

I’ve noticed that even in the most dense of threads in P101, people can’t help themselves from throwing in the occasional bon mot or witticism, let alone the occasional groaner of a pun.  

Years ago, Ron quashed a humor thread on the grounds that “there may be  Forums for stand-up comics, but (PiP) isn’t one.” -- an on the mark paraphrase, I hope.  However, PiP evolves.  Just to be safe, though, I’ll try to tie this thread to philosophy by pointing out that even dour old Neitzsche had a certain sense of humor which made reading his “Aphorisms” bearable.

A bon mot may involve a pun as in “As the cabinet maker said to his apprentice, ‘the devil is in the dovetails.’ “   Or it may not, as in “Love is never needing to say “you’re sloppy.”  A bon mot is complete in a single sentence, and doesn’t require a shaggy dog story to get there.

This, then, hopes to be a thread for PiP philosopher’s to post their ORIGINAL bon mots that crop up spontaneously in the midst of philosophizing or whatever.  Sharing bon mots, I suggest, is a way of sharing our humanity.

Embrace the coming Spring, Gopher it, as it were.

Jimbeaux

© Copyright 2012 Jim Aitken - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2012-02-28 01:04 PM

Gopher Baroque!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » WITH AGE COMES DENTURES

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary