navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Gender Stereyotypes
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gender Stereyotypes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Falling rain
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois

0 posted 2011-05-11 05:13 PM

What does it mean to be a man and/or a woman? What are the stereotypes? What are, in your opinion, the real qualities for a man and/or woman? How does culture affect these gender roles?

© Copyright 2011 Zach Booker-Scott - All Rights Reserved
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
1 posted 2011-05-13 03:25 PM

Woman: homemaker and weaver

Man: beerdrinker and warrior

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
2 posted 2011-05-14 12:34 PM

Gender roles are cultural.  To give one example:  Japanese traditional culture is male dominated, extremely so; yet, it has one of the most "effeminate" cultures around.

To say that male and female roles are cultural is often misunderstood however.  It tends to to make it seem that they can be undermined easily.  This is not the case.  Roles and identity are cultural through and through.  If you want to act differently that is still culturally based. We are social animals after all.

Without culture, we are not human.  

It follows that the idea of being 'real' is also misleading.  The levels of testosterone in males and estrogen in women (too simplistic but I'm short on time) don't really give us enough information to establish a normative (What should a man or woman do?  What are they really?) value system for either without a culture.

I know, I know, that's far too simplistic and it still gives the impression that culture is monolithic.  

It's not.  Still, can we make some cross-cultural generalizations?

Beer drinker and warrior have a social function outside the family.

Weaver and homemaker have a familial function outside the social.

I'm not sure how useful these are today as  things are changing too quickly.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

3 posted 2011-05-14 07:40 PM

Interesting question.  

Rather than simply tossing out an answer, I'd like to suggest a chance for observation.  Let's look at gender bonding.  Which sorts of couples do you see around you?  These are probably examples of the sorts of gender stereotrypes available for people to self-sort themselves into today.  What do you see?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Gender Stereyotypes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary