navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » A Benefit of Global Warming?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Benefit of Global Warming? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2009-10-16 03:41 PM

Do you think Global Warming might actually help delay the Earth from eventually getting too cold to live on and ending up as Mars?   This may actually be a benefit of Global Warming.

© Copyright 2009 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2009-10-16 07:53 PM

Well, that's a benefit none of us (or anyone born in the next several millions of years) will live to see.

Of course, Al Gore might swear that it could happen at any minute!!

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
2 posted 2009-10-17 02:25 PM

Balladeer

I don't think it is just in the far future Balladeer.  If Global Warming (in conjunction with other influences) may be compensating for some gradual decreases of the sun's heat reaching the planet, then it may already be making the present "phase" of the Earth longer than it would be otherwise before a new phase comes about that belongs and conforms more to the long term direction.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2009-10-17 03:55 PM

it may already be making the present "phase" of the Earth longer

Yes, and the "present phase" of the earth could be millions of years. How many millions passed before was able to support life? How many millions that the dinosaurs ruled? How many that the Ice Ages covered. The earth doesn't measure "present" like we do. According to Earth, humans on the planet are in the "present phase".

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
4 posted 2009-10-19 01:32 PM

That is true.  But shorter term phases may precipitate or delay the longer term phases.  If a fluctuation of heat on the planet is happening and is caused or prolonged by Global Warming, then every moment of that fluctuation may be delaying a long term phase toward the earth gradually becoming and eventually being too cold.  

In millions of years hence, the difference between Mars and Earth may be that Venus might be able to look back at Earth and find life still inhabiting this planet, on behalf of it being warmer for a much longer time, something we aren't able to do with Mars.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (10-19-2009 02:18 PM).]

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2009-10-19 02:20 PM

Very possible, sir, but, at the risk of sounding self-centered, in millions of years I won't really care.

Besides, I have enough faith in the human mind and sense of self-preservation to believe that, should that time come, we will already have found a way to counteract it or move on to greener pastures, er, planets.

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
6 posted 2009-10-19 04:17 PM

Actually, the biggest benefit of global warming that I can come up with is no more shoveling the car out at 6:00 in the morning so I can get to work...

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "WHAT A RIDE

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
7 posted 2009-10-19 04:50 PM

Balladeer,

But it may be otherwise.  Millions and millions of years ago you might have been a life form struggling to live, and now you are another life form, and in millions and millions of years more you may be another.  Therefore you should think thrice before saying you won't care.        

You might be so advanced an animal that when go to the museum you will never know you were once part of the extinct beasts called "humans".  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
8 posted 2009-10-19 05:34 PM

quote:
"so I can get to work..."

Why would you want to get to work?   I would rather be snowed in at home, as long as I have enough food and water  

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
9 posted 2009-10-19 06:19 PM

You might be so advanced an animal that when go to the museum you will never know you were once part of the extinct beasts called "humans".

True enough. Right now when I go to the seaquarium I still don't realize that I was an amoeba!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » A Benefit of Global Warming?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary