navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » A Lie
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Lie Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2009-06-22 03:02 AM

If a sugary lie inspire someone to something better, is it better to tell than a bitter truth?

© Copyright 2009 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Yoinn
since 2007-08-16
Posts 649
Michigan
1 posted 2009-06-22 01:38 PM

Hmm interesting question. I believe it depends on the person and the current level of ability they possess. Certainly age is a factor also. This type of question comes up often in sports coaching. People who are still just on the beginning of their path (young or old)benefit more from the sugar. Biter truth my scare them off the path. If the person has been on the path for awhile has some talent, then the sugar would be misplaced because only the truth would then help him advance. Coaching, teaching or mentoring is a art form all in it's own. Many legendary sports figures have made terrible coaches and vice versa.

Yoin

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
2 posted 2009-06-22 03:25 PM

I think you can watch John Carrey in "Liar, Liar" to get a pretty good answer.

Btw, if your wife is overweight, I don't recommend giving her the bitter truth. It could be very hazardous to your health!

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2009-06-22 05:32 PM

Yeah, Mike.... I think I can agree with that.
One time (too many years ago to remember) my good wife asked me if that dress made her look fat. (Why did I even answer?)
I told her that no, the dress did not make her look fat... the fact that she was 200 pounds at the time did the job.

And people wonder why she's my ex??

For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2009-06-22 06:55 PM

Can a student to or through high school get a failing grade for the year
without the teacher being called, even by his or her peers, to task?

Where the imperative is always fostering self-esteem,
who, before reality honestly answers, can respond
to “Yes, I am” with  “No, you’re not” without
punishment?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » A Lie

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary