navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Wallace Vs Ernest
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Wallace Vs Ernest Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2009-05-03 04:44 PM

As a man,
if you had to pick between the two,
which you rather be:  Wallace Stevens
or Ernest Hemingway?

As a woman,
who would you rather be with?

© Copyright 2009 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
1 posted 2009-05-15 07:06 PM

No one answering this? I find it kind of hard to see the connection, except they were both writers and drinkers and both in key West at the same time. Hemingway of course  spent more time there than did Wallace. I think Wallace lived a more conventional life most of the time. Why he would want to challange some one like Hemingway I do not understand. I imagine Hemingway would attract more men friends and as for a women's side I would say you can keep the both of them. JMO latearrival
GBride
since 2009-07-02
Posts 538

2 posted 2009-10-20 10:21 PM

I think I would rather be Flattery O'conner. Her harsh criticism of human nature combined with her pithy wit has made me laugh for years.
I wouldn't what to be either of those male writers.
Try reading "In the Temple of the Holy Ghost." A young disfigured girl try to retain some dignity while being exhibited as a circus freak in front of a bunch of local yahoos. She pleads with them, "Now, don't you all go laughing at me because God made me and he doesn't make junk."
Why don't you give O'conner a try and lay off those macho types.

GBride
since 2009-07-02
Posts 538

3 posted 2009-10-27 10:33 PM

I wouldn't be either of those dudes.
I would be Flatery O'Conner.
Her tales contains biting irony, bitter satire, and candid descriptions of the depravity of human nature.
I would like to be her, except for the fact that she died young.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Wallace Vs Ernest

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary