navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Tongue Tied (How far can language be twisted?)
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Tongue Tied (How far can language be twisted?) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA

0 posted 2009-01-14 11:06 PM

The thread with Essorant brought this to mind ...

I'm always amazed at the suppleness of language, and how it has evolved through time and cultures ... how slang and even playful onomatopoeia has worked its way into the mainstay, even into formal and established language.  

Yet two stabilizing things seem clear to me:  1) Language is pragmatically binding (though organic, still breakable), and 2) it is democratic in a sense, resistant to many a private permutation.  So my question is, how far is too far in stretching language, and how can we tell?

Grbixkjsh labeuethidol,

Stephen

© Copyright 2009 Stephen Douglas Jones - All Rights Reserved
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
1 posted 2009-01-15 05:53 PM

I'll go back to Old English if you will.

Care for any "Grímnir's lip-streams?"

We've come a long way, StephEn, or have we?

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
2 posted 2009-01-15 07:47 PM

Grimner's lip streams?  

I'm clueless.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2009-01-15 08:18 PM

She means Odin's mead
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
4 posted 2009-01-15 08:28 PM

It's a kenning for "poetry."

The quote is from an Old Norse poem, Thorsdrapa, Lay of Thor.

Kennings were prominent figures of speech in Old English and Old Norse. Some love them, some hate them. I think they're awesome.

And Yes, Ess! You never disappoint me, my Beowulf friend. It also stands for the drink of Odin.

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
5 posted 2009-01-16 12:52 PM

P.S.

Perhaps we can borrow a bit from Pink Floyd's-- Learning to Fly.

"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back"

"Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I"

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
6 posted 2009-01-16 08:15 PM

What about the word muscle from Latin musculus "little mouse" (mus "mouse" + culus, a diminutive suffix).  We ought to wonder about parts of our body being "little mice", not only that but mutated mice, sometimes biceps "twoheaded" or triceps "threeheaded".  
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
7 posted 2009-01-17 12:08 PM

1533, from L. musculus "a muscle," lit. "little mouse," dim. of mus "mouse" (see mouse). So called because the shape and movement of some muscles (notably biceps) were thought to resemble mice.

(From the Online Etymological Dictionary)

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
8 posted 2009-01-18 01:13 AM

And did you ever wonder why people have so much difficulty understanding calculus "a little stone" (from calx "stone (usually limestone)" + -culus, diminutive suffix)?
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
9 posted 2009-01-18 07:35 AM

Maybe there is a creative legitimacy to creating new words by analogy (if they catch on, and don't die miserably in someone's own mouth, head, or notebook).  But I doubt there's any legitimacy in altering established words, not by analogy, but by sheer gutting.

Stephen

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
10 posted 2009-01-19 12:02 PM

Believe it or not many male swordsmen also have a vagina. [scabbard, sheath]
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
11 posted 2009-01-19 05:58 PM

Ess, are you trying to get us booted to mature?  

Stephen

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
12 posted 2009-01-20 01:10 PM

Sorry, Stephanos.  No maturity intended
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
13 posted 2009-01-20 02:06 PM

While the word is flying around like a bird today:

Inaugurate, from inauguratus passive participle of inaugurare to take omens from the flight of birds, to act as an augur, to hallow by augury. (in "in" + augur "(from avi-"bird" + gur "talk/sound" = "birdteller/reader") + are, present active infinitive ending.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
14 posted 2009-01-21 01:45 PM

Just like every rose, every human has a spine (from Latin spina "thorn").
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
15 posted 2009-01-21 01:55 PM

One might get a bit cold, if he doesn't keep his focus [fireplace].
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
16 posted 2009-01-22 12:13 PM

Stephen, RE: "So my question is, how far is too far in stretching language, and how can we tell?"

Ya uses yor crap detector and does your best.

Language may be God's blessing or curse, but it sure messes with a lot of minds.

Best, Jimmy

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
17 posted 2009-01-22 02:25 AM

"Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth." Genesis 11:9

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
18 posted 2009-01-22 07:54 AM

quote:
... because the LORD did there confound the language

Right, Essorant. And later He would walk on water.

When you can do the latter, maybe we'll let you get away with doing the former.  

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
19 posted 2009-01-22 08:06 AM

LOL.

Sorry.

But "LOL" is also a great example of newfangled language.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
20 posted 2009-01-22 11:25 AM

Ron,

But give it up with the nonsense of me trying to take over the word and redefine it.  Personally, I have no more patience for it from you or Stephanos.  A man arguing about something, however ridiculous you think his statement and belief, is not the same as someone taking over a word and trying to confine it to something he believes about what the word refers to.  My days are done here if this continues.  I am now become too sick of it to put up with anymore.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
21 posted 2009-01-22 01:14 PM

So you think everyone in the world should just ignore dictionaries and common usage, Essorant, and acquiesce to whatever you want a word to mean? And if we don't, you don't want to talk to us any more?

That's your choice, of course. While I'll admit that 90 percent of the time I choose to just smile and ignore your lexical idiosyncrasies as harmless, I have no intention of ever rolling over and playing dead. I'm honestly sorry if that offends you, but words are too important to take so lightly. I'll support your right to say it, but continue to reserve my right to disagree. It's up to you how you choose to deal with it.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
22 posted 2009-01-22 02:30 PM

No, what I think is that people should not accuse a person that puts forth arguments and beliefs about something, whether "supernaturalism", "omniscience", "god" "ghosts", etc,, as attempting to change the meaning of the word to the argument or belief itself.  Having different arguments and beliefs about something is not the same as "murdering, mangling, gutting" etc a word.  I no more wish omniscience to have my beliefs about it in the dictionary than I wish the definition of "house" to have the specifications of my house.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
23 posted 2009-01-22 07:43 PM

schnigglefarggins!  You two quit fighting like that.  
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
24 posted 2009-01-22 07:56 PM

Seriously Ess,

I want to let it rest.  Still, it doesn't seem to be just the content of argument, but the usage of the word "omniscient" that raised such a ruckus in a previous thread.

Still I say, we should all lighten up.  Perhaps the best response to a neologism (snagged that word from BobK) is to just pass it by, if pointing out the infraction is not acknowledged.  

We've all been under friendly fire in these forums from time to time, Ess.  Wanting to leave is quite an overreaction in my opinion.  Even if you do stretch a word beyond recognition from time to time, you are a part of the family and contribute alot.  

Just my thoughts,

Stephen    

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
25 posted 2009-01-31 07:18 AM

I stumbled upon this and thought you might find it interesting.

quote:
In the selection,  speaking about "words," Woolf says:

... purity or their impurity discussed. If you start a  Society for Pure English they will show their resentment by starting another for impure English. Hence the unnatural violence of much modern speech, Virginia Woolf

That particular section from a B.B.C. series entitled "Words Fail Me," is also the only known recording of her voice.

Found here: Woolf Speaking

Being a daughter of a knight would certainly have an affect on one's grasp of "pure."

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
26 posted 2009-01-31 08:59 PM

Some words manhandled by Religion have the greatest deviations, such as

Angel

From Greek aggelos [gg pronounced "ng"] "messenger"

Devil

From Greek dia-bolos (dia "through" + bolos "throwing") "through-throwing one = slanderer".

Neither of these words originally implied the kind of supernatural nonsense by which we define them in our English language today.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
27 posted 2009-02-02 05:47 PM

Essorant,

It is altogether different (though some would deny it) to say something is "nonsense", than to say "it doesn't make sense ... and here's why".  The connotations behind these words, make the difference between insult, and intellectual critique.  One fits a philosophy forum, the other doesn't.    

However, at least in Christian Theology (there are other streams of belief which use these words as well), both "Devil" and "Angel" are part of the created order ... ie, nature.

And their names have been derived from human experience of what such created beings have been known to do.

Whether you agree with any of that or not, it certainly understandable to me how the names were acquired.  One who almost always bore messages might naturally assume that name.  One who always accused or slandered might easily bear the other.  It's not like taking the word "wet" and using it to describe dry things, since most dry things contain some moisture ... or taking the word "light" to describe darkness, since there is seldom a total absence of light.      

Stephen    

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
28 posted 2009-02-03 09:26 PM

Ess:
quote:
Neither of these words originally implied the kind of supernatural nonsense by which we define them in our English language today.

I forgot to point out, in my response, that the Greek word "Angelos" was used in pre-Christian times to describe oracles / soothsayers giving messages from the gods.  Looks like you're not exactly correct in attributing the religious aspect of the word, to a later English innovation.  It seems, since people have been religious from time immemorial, quite understandable that a word for "messenger" might have both sacred and 'regular' applications.  

And since the etymology of the Greek word is unknown, you're likely to have a hard time finding a time when the word wasn't used in this way.  

Stephen

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
29 posted 2009-02-03 10:10 PM

Stephanos,

Just a short note to defend my point.I never said it excluded any such kind of messenger.  My point was that the meaning of the word was just that "messenger, envoy, etc" in general, not defined by such things as we usually imply today, such as being a celestial or supernatural being, from heaven, having wings, etc.   For example, using the original meaning, an aggelos "messenger" of earth or even from hell or the underworld, would be just as much an aggelos.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (02-03-2009 11:05 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
30 posted 2009-02-04 12:32 PM

Another word overthrown by religion is certainly demon from Greek daimon "(a) divinity, guardian spirit and the like"  Eventually, Christianity used it in a very contrary way and filled it with negative connotations, so that now it is wellnigh impossible to say the word without an accompanying sense of evil.
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

31 posted 2009-02-04 01:36 AM

Pan daemonium!

See Pan and The Underworld by James Hillman for a seat of the pants thrill ride through religion, language and Analytical Psychology seen through the eyes of a real master.  He bends concepts like pretzels into new sculptural forms.  He loves the world of dreams.  He defies gravity.  His viewpoint dips into and out of the polytheistic, and certainly into the world of classical antiquity.  He thrills on word origins.  He chills with his logic.

Five Stars out of Three on the intellectual curiosity List!  

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
32 posted 2009-02-05 07:51 PM

Well Ess, I suppose we need words for distinctions, and opposites, as well as more general words like "deities".  You fault religion for the evolution of the words "angel" and "demon" ... leaning too good on one side, and too evil on the other?  But these words are still quite congruent with their original meanings, though adding specification / valuation.  Again, this is not quite like calling black white is it?

And here's another question to explore:  What makes some innovations endure, and others fizzle?  

Stephen

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
33 posted 2009-02-06 12:55 PM

quote:
Again, this is not quite like calling black white is it?

I agree.  But I guess if I happen to use a word in a different way, but unlike those above, in a way that by no means is ever likely what so ever to change the definition nor threaten it, nor intends to, it gets to be attacked as "murdering, mangling, gutting, etc" the word?

quote:
What makes some innovations endure, and others fizzle?

I think both wisdom and unwisdom.  On one hand someone may use something in a very wise way and it may catch on and continue, but on the other someone may use something very unwisely and mistakenly and it may catch on and continue as well.  

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

34 posted 2009-02-06 02:43 AM

Dear Essorant,

You specifically?  How would I know?  I don't think my funny word buzzer or anybody else's is much affected by the fact that you're doing the verbal shuffling or if somebody else is.  I have trouble with some sorts of split infinitives that others use with ease; they simply ring badly to my ear.  Such things I think may be disagreed about without too much trouble.

It's when the actual meaning of the words themselves gets shuffled around too abruptly that discord comes in.  We are then talking about the content and meaning of the words themselves, and suggesting that folks don't actually mean what they say when they say something, but may mean instead something almost entirely different.

This is something that is essentially an attack on the social construction of the reality that a culture shares in common.  And an attack on the social contract that governs the behavior of members of that culture toward each other.  In our culture we call these attacks "freedom of speech," and we permit them with the understanding that this is "protected speech" and should be permitted, even if it is uncomfortable and impolite.  We are less lenient about speech that is not political, and which attacks the social contract between people.

The business about changing the meaning of a word seems to me to fall into this latter category.

If a person is willing to change the meaning of one word unilaterally in the middle of a debate to their own advantage, it undermines the level of trust necessary to hold a discussion.  What terms, then, might be shifted without warning unilaterally in the future?  Why should such a conversation be attempted if it is not done from a position of mutual understanding?

"Omniscience" probably was the word that you were looking for when it was time to provide a good hook for your title.  But it was not the word that you would want to build a good case around; certainly not the word as it was defined by the dictionary.  You probably could have solved your problem by coming up with a different word in the title, provocative enough for a good lead, and yet defensible without having to distort the language for the work you wanted to do in the body of your responses.  

I was struck by this exchange between you and Stephanos:

quote:

Stephanos:
What makes some innovations endure, and others fizzle?

Essorant:

I think both wisdom and unwisdom.  On one hand someone may use something in a very wise way and it may catch on and continue, but on the other someone may use something very unwisely and mistakenly and it may catch on and continue as well.  

What you say here has some merit.

I think that what may be equally important is what the language needs as opposed to what we need for our own purposes.  As we stumble along in our writing and conversation, we will occasionally come to places where there are ideas that need to be expressed for which there are no words that come quickly to mind, or where those words that come quickly to mind have an over-chewed texture to them, and an over-familiar flavor and too simple or too rough a shape.  At those places and at those times the language asks us for a contribution.  We can rise to it or not, and the contribution will be accepted or not, but there will be out chance.  It is a playful moment of creation as much as it is wisdom.

Anyway, some thoughts of my own on the nature of the dilemma.

Best wishes, Bob Kaven

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
35 posted 2009-02-09 12:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bob.  

For myself though, I don't care to wordwrestle about it any further.  I will leave the rest to you and Stephanos.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
36 posted 2009-02-09 10:29 PM

Ess,

Me and Bob are going at it in at least a couple of other threads.  Add another conversation with that guy, and my tongue is fit to be tied.  

(just kidding Bob)

I do get away with spelling his name backwards, anytime I want to express subtle disdain.  

Stephen.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

37 posted 2009-02-10 08:50 PM

People do it all the time.  I've been known to do it myself.

bob

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
38 posted 2009-02-12 10:36 PM

yeah boB, it's really hard to detect ... especially when you capitalize the last letter and then sneak it to the front.  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Tongue Tied (How far can language be twisted?)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary