navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Ghosts
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ghosts Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Falling rain
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois

0 posted 2008-05-09 03:03 PM

How many of you guys believe in ghosts, demons, spirts, or life after life? I know this is a hard topic to be talking about but im just curious.. but suriousity did kill the cat. haha

~Zach~

"Fate leads the willing, and drags along the reluctant."

© Copyright 2008 Zach Booker-Scott - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2008-05-09 04:13 PM

quote:
...spirits, or life after life...

Yep...I do.

There are far too many things that go on
that defy explanation...

Earl Robertson
since 2008-01-21
Posts 753
BC, Canada
2 posted 2008-05-09 04:13 PM

Don't ask this question. There are some things you don't want to know.

There is an afterlife Zach, Heaven exists, and Hell is knowing you could have got there and didn't. That's the simple truth.

"We all lead such elaborate lives, We don't know who's words are true." Aida

Falling rain
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
3 posted 2008-05-09 05:17 PM

"Hell is knowing you could have got there and didn't"

Earl i understand some of that part and the other part i didn't.. please explain?

~Zach~

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
4 posted 2008-05-09 07:53 PM

I need to get to know the ghost first before I believe or disbelieve.
Falling rain
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
5 posted 2008-05-09 08:23 PM

that doesnt really make it any better.. (i mean i don't understand) really you can't get to know the dead in the after life if they are spirits? Unless you have an encounter with one.. or try to talk to them..

~Zach~

wisdomofthesword
since 2007-12-17
Posts 224
the last place on earth
6 posted 2008-05-10 12:59 PM

im undecided i've had a few ghostly experiences even spent 2 weeks of my life in a grave yard met alot of nice (and some not so nice) people but didn't see any ghosts non that a couldn't find a scientific reason to explain anyway. I know people that strongly believe for and against them but personally I'm open to any possibility. As for the after life I guess I'll fine out sooner or later    

I don't care if you think I'm a fool but don't ever tell me so

Falling rain
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
7 posted 2008-05-10 10:50 AM

lol true be that..

~Zach~

Earl Robertson
since 2008-01-21
Posts 753
BC, Canada
8 posted 2008-05-10 11:15 AM

OK Zach here's the deal, I know that ghosts exists but I don't know WHAT they acctualy are.

Your question about Hell, my belief is that when you die you'll see God your Father. At the judgment bar he'll want to make you as happy as possible. Either by putting you near him, as far away as possible or somthing in between.

Hell is being sent anywhere but Heaven and knowing you could be with your father.

Be careful Zach, and don't dwell to much on spirits, it will scare you.

"We all lead such elaborate lives, We don't know who's words are true." Aida

Falling rain
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
9 posted 2008-05-10 04:02 PM

Yeah they do scare me..

I've had a few experiences myself..

Wonder why i ask this question?

I didn't know if i was crazy or this thing was real..

And thanks for your explanations.. I know  i can be ignorant sometimes hahahaha

~Zach~

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
10 posted 2008-05-10 05:29 PM

The dead are dead.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

11 posted 2008-05-11 01:43 AM

Dear Falling Rain,

Fear and hope I suppose are the tests of belief.  By those standards, yes, certainly.  I'm almost entirely frightened by irrational things, with sprinkles here and there of fears based on reason.  Death frightens me.  You can decide if that's rational or not yourself.

When I hear sudden unexplained sounds or see sudden unexplained movements, I don't bother to search for rational explanations before my heart rate accelerates.

I must confess that my major concern is the possibility of life in this life.  To me that seems much more likely than life after this life, despite all evidence to the contrary.
I myself find myself doing things while not actually being alive and awake to the world I'm supposed to be occupying or the people who are supposed to be here with me.  Such as you, for example, Falling rain, or the other folks I'm supposed to care about.

I don't know what I can do about the dead; but you I can try answering as directly as I can.  You can't stop being fearful of the dead or of death, but you can investigate the living.  I suspect the dead are only important to the extent that they are still living for us,

Thoughts?  BobK.      

wisdomofthesword
since 2007-12-17
Posts 224
the last place on earth
12 posted 2008-05-11 02:37 AM

I heard an interesting theory today that is things will exist as long as someone believes in them so if you believe in ghosts etc then they will be real for you if you dont then it will have the opposite effect

I don't care if you think I'm a fool but don't ever tell me so

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

13 posted 2008-05-11 11:30 AM

Dear Falling Rain,

I keep writing about them.  Until fairly recently, they were the real "Silent Majority."  Now we outnumber them and still we won't shut up about them.  Even if you believe the dead occasionally get rowdy, they're still so much more polite than that, than we are.

Sincerely yours, BobK.  

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

14 posted 2008-05-11 11:31 AM

Dear Falling Rain,

I keep writing about them.  Until fairly recently, they were the real "Silent Majority."  Now we outnumber them and still we won't shut up about them.  Even if you believe the dead occasionally get rowdy, they're still so much more polite than that, than we are.

Sincerely yours, BobK.  

Falling rain
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
15 posted 2008-05-11 11:44 AM

BobK.. That is true me nad you are alike in this matter of topic.. I have a fear of this but i still am curious about this.. Like im trying to find the answer to my fear.. (that doesn't make much sence) But yes I try to stay as far as away as i can. but usually its hard to run from death. And i know thats weird how the dead are dead and we fear them yet we want ot know more about them.. Its like trying to find out the unknown in the world..
Wisdomofthesword, Yeah i guess i am like that. As long as i fear them i guess they will be as real to me as anything else.. (i tihnk i said that right but im not sure lol)

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and opinions!!   

~Zach~

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
16 posted 2008-05-15 05:14 PM

My mother says I'm living proof that demons exist.

Just keep that holy water where I can see it.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert E.

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
17 posted 2008-05-15 07:25 PM

I've had serious and "real-seeming" conversations with dead people I know, and some live people, too, in my dreams.  None of them mention heaven or hell, but next time somebody shows up, I'll ask.

If you are interested in the paranormal, yo0u might want to google Ted Serios and Dr. Jules Eisenbud.

Serios seemed to be able to project images onto film using only his mind.  A controversial figure at best.In 1966, I believe, Serios,Eisenbud, and a writer from the now defunct Argosy magazine came to a university where I was doing a summer stint of hard time as a TA.  

They were there to conduct an experiment.  During this experiment, Serios attempted to project an image which was sealed in an envelope and which he had not seen, through the lense of a television camera.  By circumstance, I was running the camera -- which consisted of making sure it was turned on, and otherwise shut up.

Serios needed to get drunk, that is, alter his normal state of consciousness, in order to do his thing.  He also made use of a "gizmo," a curled tube of black paper, to stare through into the camera lens.

In a session which lasted several hours, Serios attempted to visualize the hidden image and project it into the camera.  It seemed as if the experiment was a total failure, and the guy didn't even share his whiskey.  The magazine writer went on to write a "debunking" article about the experiment.

What the writer didn't relate, possibly and perhaps simply because nobody bothered to tell him, was what was found later while reviewing the video tapes.

The sealed picture was that of a local bus, it's line number clearly visible.  There was a flash on the tape, about midway through the session, of a bus.

Now, it's possible that through light reflections and the chance manipulation of Serios' gizmo, a bus like image might have randomly shown up.  But the LINE NUMBER?  That's pretty tricky.

I have no explanation for this at all beyond that of Kurt Vonnegut's Tralfamadorians, whom, when confronted with the unfathomable, raise their arms, waggle their fingers, and chant "Busy, Busy," a way of saying that there is a whole lot of stuff going on out there we don't know too much about.

Busy, busy, Jimbeaux

Falling rain
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
18 posted 2008-05-16 06:33 PM

Hmm that is really weird to hear about... I'll check those two people out.. they sound pretty interesting.. but i just started thinking about this one thought...
Man use's reason and facts to define the unknown.. but when it comes to ghost's/spirit's we can't completely figure it all out.. Its sort of like religion right?

~Zach~

Claira
since 2008-05-11
Posts 102
British but living in Thailand
19 posted 2008-05-16 10:53 PM

My belief is that ghosts and spirits are not the same thing.
Ghosts to me are energy echoes left behind and have no real connection with the images left and replay a moment of time.
Spirits are different, they have a give off another  type of energy. By that I think I mean they vibrate at a higher frequency.  I've seen many things I can not explain since an early age, however I have spent most of my life ignoring or trying to debunk it.

Claira

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
20 posted 2008-05-16 11:44 PM

The words are basically the same in nature, but are from different languages:

English: Ghost
Latin: Spirit
Greek: Pneuma
Hebrew: Ruach

What is interesting is that all four words basically share two main meanings: a more abstract one, referring to a breathy being/part of being, and a more concrete meaning, referring to breath itself.

Falling rain
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
21 posted 2008-05-17 10:26 AM

Yeah Essorant, *srry if i miss speel your name* Once you just said that i looked it up in my thesaurus. And yes they do all share the common thing.. I find that a little weird.. but thats pretty cool for you to figure that out.  

~Zach~

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
22 posted 2009-04-02 06:44 PM

I believe in them, totally! ~ Had some experinces for me to believe! ~ Also my family has had some Supernatural things happen to them, too hard not to believe with the proof is evident!

ARCTIC WIND

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

23 posted 2009-04-02 08:42 PM

I keep calling this ad in a local paper (The Gambit) and their heading is simply:

"Got Ghosts?"

And no, I don't have any more ghosts than the usual accumulation of bad memories.

I keep calling the number though, and have yet for them to return my call...'cause nope--ain't got no ghosts here, boss--

but I'm hoping to order some.

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
24 posted 2009-04-03 07:12 PM

Ouu, Ordering some Sounds like a plan

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Ghosts

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary