navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Writing Style
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Writing Style Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
William James
since 2008-05-05
Posts 31
Ohio

0 posted 2008-05-07 03:50 PM

I imagine most people write in a favored meter or rhyming scheme.  I never really know what meter or number of lines in a stanza will result until I am well into the piece.  I have done poems with 3,5,7, and 9 Xameters.

I usually write a 4 line stanza but occasionally a(n) AABBA style.  I have two or three 3 page poems that were written in about 20 minutes each.  You may probably say 'And they look/sound like it too'!

For me the purpose of a poem is to take the reader away on a journey so far they forget what chair they are sitting in or what time of day it is.
Many times some lines are contrived or a forced rhyme appears.  I used His'n to rhyme with prison once.

After about 100 poems I've found some variety in style, meter and rhyming schemes.  It all just happens and is not really planned.  My best work is when I have an emotion that needs to be released and it comes out in poetry form.

Where I write is immaterial, only the emotion.

Will

© Copyright 2008 James Moomey - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2008-05-07 04:04 PM

quote:
For me the purpose of a poem is to take the reader away on a journey so far they forget what chair they are sitting in or what time of day it is.

Exactly!

That's why I stick to free verse! Sometimes, my rhyme imp will appear, but it's all internal [and sometimes infernal].

Write on!

William James
since 2008-05-05
Posts 31
Ohio
2 posted 2008-05-07 04:09 PM

You have a rhyme imp but I have a rhyme MONSTER. It must rhyme and sometimes I use coercion to make is so.  I have also been guilty of using look alike words that really don't rhyme but they do in print.

Will

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2008-05-07 05:29 PM

Embrace the Monster...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2008-05-07 07:46 PM

I've got a mental block when it comes to meter. I can either think about meter or I can write. I can't seem to do both, and stubbornly refuse to do either on command.

Sometimes I hit on meter accidentally though. Or so I'm sometimes told...where is Linda? She said I have to tendancy to perfect tetra-something-or-other.

(Why does that always sound like a disease?)

I used to have Ellipses, but a moderator cured me...<---

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
5 posted 2008-05-10 12:23 PM

Just say your sentence is so strong that it takes three periods to stop it.  
Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
6 posted 2008-05-12 11:31 AM

I hate meter!! I hate counting when it comes to my writing. What I look for is how the poem flows (which is suposed to be the job of meter but gets in my way). To rhyme or not to rhyme is up to the poet BUT you need to be consistant.

Whether I am writing poetry or prose the words need to flow in a manner that takes the reader for a pleasant ride, with no jolts from the road.

Marilyn

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
7 posted 2008-05-12 04:04 PM

There's really no curse
in writing free verse,
and meter ain't neater,
though sometimes it's sweeter.

Karen:  You keep thinking that meter
        Is terra incogniter.
        It ain't, and it's easy,
        If it don't make you queasy.

William:  There is an enormous differnce between meter and music.  And strict adherence to a rhyme scheme has nothing to do with poetry.  If a poem is good, it's good regardless of whether or not it "rhymes."  If a poem is not good, the rhyme scheme induces the gag reflex.

Ess:  I know, I know, I know:  

I wish we could finish this rondele
      In a manner somewhat fondele.
      If I knew how to post a link,
      I'd put up one of yours, I think,
      Where the subject is covered in depth,
      Though it still hasn't drawn it's last breapth.

Maybe someone will help me out here with the link thing, and save William the onerous chore of meandering through CA.

Best, Jimbeaux  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2008-05-12 09:13 PM

whineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I just wanna 'play' again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Writing Style

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary