navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Underappreciated Works
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Underappreciated Works Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2008-05-06 12:19 PM

Are there any works of literature or other artworks that you think are far too underappreciated among people today?

© Copyright 2008 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
1 posted 2008-05-06 11:38 AM

Dostoevsky (literature) and Tommy Emmanuel (fingerstyle guitar)

The Shadow in Blue
since 2006-05-18
Posts 493
EL, Michigan
2 posted 2008-05-06 05:15 PM

Does music count under the banner of artwork because if it does I would include swing, big band, and standards of the 40's and 50's.

On the literature front I would have to say the transcendentalist authors are underappreciated by the general public, as well as Oscar Wilde.

But that's just my opinion.

Side Note: I adore Dostoevsky's writing ^_^

~Jill

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

3 posted 2008-05-06 06:55 PM

Many.  Jon Anderson, whose recent death is a loss to the poetry community comes to mind right off the bat—
http://www.poemhunter.com/jon-anderson/

The selection in the site above is limited.  I'm hunting for books of his after about 1972.  

William Everson/Brother Antoninus, for whom I cannot find a downloadable sample to offer you; and Albert Goldbarth, who, despite winning the National Book Critics Circle Award twice for poetry has still not gotten the recognition he deserves.
http://www.gtweekly.com/a-e/poetry-of-albert-goldbarth-1

There are bound to be many other samples of Albert Goldbarth's work floating around out there; he's been incredibly prolific.  You might try searching out other stuff.  His most recent book, by the way, which is nowhere near a collected poems, and doesn't contain much of his best work, is called, The Kitchen Sink.  As you guess, he has a sense of humor.  

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

4 posted 2008-05-06 07:55 PM

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/everson/online_poems.htm
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2008-05-07 12:03 PM

The works of Banjo Paterson, quite possibly the greatest narrative poetry writer and balladeer of all time.
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

6 posted 2008-05-07 01:58 AM

Dear Jennifer Maxwell,

Thank you so much for your help in finding some of Brother Antoninus's/William Everson's poems.  I hadn't been able to do so and I appreciate your help.

I took the liberty of looking back through some of your poems and found one called, I think, "75 years Is Not Enough" which had some very nice use of detail and a great deal of restraint in the use of abstraction.  It brought me right into the situation without demanding a particular emotional response from me, and you were able to trust your poem enough to let it be.  It was an elegant piece of work and you should be happy to have been able to write it.  I know I was happy to read it.

Thank you for the reference and for the gift of the poem.  Yours, BobK.

I don't know how you feel about William Stafford, but he has some interesting things to say about writing poems and writing in general.  You may find Writing The Australian Crawl or some of his other books on the process of writing nourishing; I know that I do.  Best wishes. B.K.

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

7 posted 2008-05-07 06:02 AM

You’re very welcome, Bob. Thank you for introducing me to the work of two wonderful poets I’ve never read, for the tip on Stafford’s book which I’ll pick up at Borders today and for your kind words about 75.

Jenn

William James
since 2008-05-05
Posts 31
Ohio
8 posted 2008-05-07 03:53 PM

Shadow mentioned music.  I would think that those inclined to music have an easier time with meter in poetry.  Some of the Great Works remain abstract (read over appreciated) to me because I feel that the 'down to earth' poems are far easier for the average person to understand and enjoy.
Will

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
9 posted 2008-05-07 10:34 PM

Ess:  Almost all of them.  I haven't checked in for a while, and I find I'm on a raging grump.  I got in contact with a film producer to pitch a project about Sinclair Lewis.  His response was "Who?"  

I ask myself how is it possible that the first American winner of the Nobel prize for Literature can be a figure of obscurity.
And I answer that the current level of ignorance is "six feet high and rising"  That's a reference to Johnny Cash.  I feel like insulting the musical dolts by bringing up Townes Van Zandt,but that would be insulting.

Pancho and Lefty have left the building.

Obscurely yours, Jimbeaux  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
10 posted 2008-05-12 01:28 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.   I may think of some great works (including translations) in English Rhyme that are rarely able to be found in print anymore, let alone mentioned by people talking about poetry.  I believe the translations are the only translations of The Argonautica, Pharsalia, and Thebaid that are put in the pleasure of Rhyme. Thankfully the internet is around and there are some e-texts available:

The Argonautics of Apollonius  (translation by Francis Fawkes).

Pharsalia (translation by Nicholas Rowe)

Thebaid of Statius (translation by William Lillington Lewis)

Siege of Thebes (by John Lydgate)
(Siege of Thebes is a great poem. Lydgate portrays himself as part of the company of Chaucer's Canterbury tales, and then tells the the tale of Oedipus, and Oedipus' sons Eteocles and Polynices in lively style.  You can also get a book edition at Medieval Institute Publications for only $11.00.)

[This message has been edited by Essorant (05-13-2008 05:37 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
11 posted 2008-05-14 10:00 PM

This website is a pleasant surprise.  It has a great selection of works by Fawkes, including the complete translation of Argonautics.  It also many works and translations by Thomas Cooke, including Works and Days, and Theogony.  The site has a goldhoard of poetry to read.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Underappreciated Works

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary