navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » When God Was A Woman
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic When God Was A Woman Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA

0 posted 2007-05-18 05:04 PM

When God Was A Woman: or, is Lilith, Adam's first wife (referred to only once in the Old Testament, with no details) a recognition that long before God was conceived of as Masculine in the Judeo-Christian tradition, Woman (through her fecundity?) was the Goddess and source of all things?

Is there a connection between Lilith and Mary?

Best, Jim

© Copyright 2007 Jim Aitken - All Rights Reserved
icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
1 posted 2007-05-19 07:04 AM

I don't know, never dated either of them, but the last time I saw god she was 5'10" and had red hair.

God is whatever you need it to be to get through the hell of life.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
2 posted 2007-05-26 04:42 AM

Jim,

I think the connection would need to be established, textually, before it is assumed.  I think the connection is sometimes made since Mary is often portrayed (in later theologies) in a light that is markedly reminiscent of Pagan stories (divine mother, father, son)  I simply think this is a regressive addendum.  The connection is not to be found in the earliest Christian writings, or the Jewish scriptures.    

quote:
a recognition that long before God was conceived of as Masculine in the Judeo-Christian tradition, Woman (through her fecundity?) was the Goddess and source of all things?

Just for the record, the Judeo-Christian "God" is transencdent of gender, though has revealed himself in masculine terms.  Evidence of this is when Adam and Eve are said to be created in God's image, male and female.  There are other poetic descriptions of God in the prophets which describe him like a "Mother", and other hints at gender transcendence.  

But as to your question about a "godess" who was the source of all things ... The Hebrew God was a unique and transcendent monotheism among the ancients.  The transencent concept of "source for all things" was only rarely hinted at in other traditions, "gods" usually being superhuman forces or personalities within the world, not over and above it.  (though immanence was also an aspect of the Judeo-Christian theology, in addition to transcendence- culminating in the incarnation of Christ)  The closest thing to YHWH in ancient times was probably the Egyptian Atum, where he declared that all of Egypt was to worship one supreme God.  I'm not aware of any godess who was cast in that light, though Karen may correct me here.  

My usual view on the subject is that Judeo-Christian monotheism was a literal revelation from Heaven, while Pagan conceptions of God brushed with with many truths, and skirted very closely to (in an anticipatory kind of way) what God would later reveal through the Jews.  But as far as gender goes, that is neither here nor there.  Interesting conversation ...

Stephen  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » When God Was A Woman

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary