navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Time Travel... scientifically possible?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Time Travel... scientifically possible? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kitherion
since 2006-08-01
Posts 181
Johannesburg

0 posted 2007-05-02 12:55 PM

I know the philosophy behind it, but is it SCIENTIFICALLY (get the point?) possible? I mean if we could acellerate the particles around the vessel (so to say), but still keep a situated area around it still, could we move forward/backwards in time?

"Our Father who art in Heaven... Hallowed be thy name..."

© Copyright 2007 Donovan - All Rights Reserved
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
1 posted 2007-05-02 01:09 AM

Yes, it is possible.  

I travel in time everyday.  I even eat, drink and sleep in time too.  

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
2 posted 2007-05-02 01:50 AM

Kitherion, you always ask interesting questions.

Time...a measurement of bits of stillness between changes. If a clock shows 8, then turn around it shows 3, then it can not measure time. if the Sun rises from east and next day, Mar come over, and next day the earth is in another system, those irregular activity is not measurable. then time shall not exist. but we live in a very stable world so time is here serving us.

Time travel....to go forward or backward on light tracks.

To go backward...means to see the thing happened before. For everything, there is a light. For every movement, there is a change of direction of light. Those light are still traveling. If one is on a thing that travels faster than light(3X10to5kM/second), one may  see something but not the history.  because the light of one object goes all directions. travel faster than light is possible but to watch history like a movie? need computer to help. or impossible at all.

to go forward.... follow which track? light? not shine yet? fortune teller? we need time  in case her over charging and bright light in case she tricks us.

Kitherion
since 2006-08-01
Posts 181
Johannesburg
3 posted 2007-05-02 06:42 AM

So, what you are saying is that time is measured in terms of light? So in that case, is it not possible to remove light from the equation, and thus create a specified system of the past, present, and future? Or am I not getting it????

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
4 posted 2007-05-02 06:58 AM

I dunno, but I miss the show Quantum Leap.

dunno if I could handle it either, because if I cross into another time zone I'm thrown. And I weird myself out all the time by getting all the way to work or school and I don't remember how I got there. I'm zoned out. It's scary.

Aurelian
since 2007-03-20
Posts 109
TX, USA
5 posted 2007-05-02 08:30 AM

I don't think it could be possible to go back in time.

The very existence of what exists today is partly dependent on time.

For example, if I went back in time 27 years would I find myself in my mother's womb as a fetus?

Or if I killed my great-grandfather in World War I, would I then cease to exist?

My very existence and the existence of things around me are predicated on the pre-existence of other things.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
6 posted 2007-05-02 09:48 AM

Not scientifically possible with any science we know or can conceive of today.

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
7 posted 2007-05-02 11:48 AM

huamn activity is based on sense. We sensed or not. if I was a dust, what do I see? if I was a molecule, what do I see? if I was a atom, what do i see? if i was a string(one theory of the basic element of all), what do I see? how I travel? At this level, everything is one thing, one thing is everything, time travel? everything is possible. only we human can not sense it. my crazy thought.
oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
8 posted 2007-05-02 06:11 PM

Hi!  Just a few thoughts, not pronouncements:

1.  Time is not a constant.  This is one of Einstein's thoughts which was proven by demonstration.

2.  Time seems to speed up or slow down depending on how much attention we're paying to it, the tricky devil.  I think everyone has experienced this -- time flys when we're having fun; time drags when we're waiting for a bus...

3.  There's a line of thought which considers that "time" itself is an illusion, that there is only the ever-present now.  This one doesn't hold up too well for me, or I just don't understand it.
It seems like there's a flow to time, or time is a flow.

4.  The speed of light may not be a constant.  The math behind this thought is out of my league.  The speed of light may be the maximum speed a particle or wave can attain, but light also appears to slow down.  Current investigations of what we are calling "black holes" suggest that light not only slows down, it comes to a complete stop.
     (I've wondered what happens when enough light gets trapped in a black hole?  Another bang?  Another universe?)

5.  When we look at the universe through our most powerful telescopes, are we traveling back in time, watching events which occurred long ago?

6.  Does the following notion hold up?  Because the size of the universe continues to expand as we improve our ability to percieve it, does this imply that there are events which have yet to occur, i.e., a future?

7.  "Science" seems to be only what we know so far.  What we know so far changes daily -- usually around four AM when very few people are watching. It seems right now, though, that what you get when you isolate one variable from another variable, what you are left with is the other variable.

8.  Is time travel possible?  Umm, not right now.  

Best, Jim  

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
9 posted 2007-05-02 11:25 PM

quote:
2.  Time seems to speed up or slow down depending on how much attention we're paying to it, the tricky devil.  I think everyone has experienced this -- time flys when we're having fun; time drags when we're waiting for a bus...

I still think you need to make the distinction between subjective "seeming", and objective reality ... since the hands on a clock still tick along just the same.  It would border on insanity to think that the entire fabric of reality changes simply because we're not in the mood to wait for a bus.

If we carried your statement to the extreme then impatient people would be much older than their peers.  

Hmmmm... wait a minute, maybe that's right!  

Stephen

oceanvu2
since 2007-02-24
Posts 1066
Santa Monica, California, USA
10 posted 2007-05-02 11:52 PM

Steven -- Good thoughts as usual.  I was thinking that maybe the "seemingness" of the mutability of time might bolster the notion that time  "flows."  It appears that it starts someplace and ends someplace else, and we can indeed measure it with a clock.  This makes both intuitive and rational sense.  It still doesn't mean that time is a constant, or does it?

The entire fabric of reality seems to change rather frequently, but you're right, it probably doesn't change because a bus is running "late."  (Ouch!)

Best, Jim

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
11 posted 2007-05-03 12:30 PM

quote:
... since the hands on a clock still tick along just the same.  

Time isn't relative to human mood, but it most certainly is relative to velocity. The hands on a clock aboard a jet do NOT tick along just the same as the hands on a clock in your bedroom. And the hands on a clock entering the event horizon of a black hole would never tick again (even if the tidal stresses didn't turn it into a long strand of spaghetti atoms).

Here's a hint.

Could time even be measured in the absence of all movement?

Kitherion
since 2006-08-01
Posts 181
Johannesburg
12 posted 2007-05-03 12:52 PM

Well, interesting idea Ron... that makes sense, because if we were to integrate the force experienced in a black hole, we would not necessaryily get the constant time, but rather the variable of time... hmmmm

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
13 posted 2007-05-03 01:06 AM

Ron   "Could time even be measured in the absence of all movement? "

absence of all movement...at which level?
1.supergalactic?
2.subatomic?
4. in between
3. All..which means no energy...no nothing. no tools to measure as well.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
14 posted 2007-05-03 03:16 AM

Well, let's take a specific time: yesterday.

How is yesterday still present, except as evolved and turned into today? If yesterday is turned into today, what "yesterday" beyond "today" is there to travel to?  Yesterday is turned into today, therefore we are still travelling in "yesterday",  itself but with a somewhat different shape, and different name, of "today"

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2007-05-03 03:43 AM

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, Ron, but I don't know that time could be understood in the absence of all movement. I am apparently in good company:

quote:
"What then is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks, I do not know.

--Saint Augustine

An intriguing experiment suggests that our observation of matter changes the very behavior of the matter we are observing!

Here, I will be the wickispurt--the double-split experiment:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

and for those (like me) who can't get enough:
http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/15/9/1

And for those of you who need the visuals to understand (like me):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN_Y5CnsokQ

(And yeah, it's a cartoon, but, um, so?)

WOW (Well I thought so.)

Which led me to the following book (next on my wish list--after I plod through Feynman's Six Easy Pieces )

Here is an interview with the author of The Yoga of Time Travel, by Dr. Fred Alan Wolf:
http://www.newconnexion.net/article/07-04/wolf.html

And for further exploration of the possible implications based on an assumption that time travel is indeed possible, here are some thought provoking scenarios to ponder--particularly the problem of "retrocausality" an article written by Patrick Barry, San Franciso Chronicle, earlier this year:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/21/ING5LNJSBF1.DTL

I just presented you guys with a whole lot of links to say, "I dunno."

But you can certainly understand my fascination with the subject. I have made so many mistakes in my life, it's only natural that I would harbor the wish to go back and do things differently.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
16 posted 2007-05-03 09:55 AM

quote:
5.  When we look at the universe through our most powerful telescopes, are we traveling back in time, watching events which occurred long ago?

The exact same thing is true when you walk into a dark room and flip the switch on the wall to turn on an overhead light. Looking at the light from the bulb, you are watching an event that happened a long time ago although not quite a long ago as in your example. It still does take a finite amount of time for the light to travel from the bulb to your eyes.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

17 posted 2007-05-04 11:45 AM

Nobody even liked the little cartoon?

Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
18 posted 2007-05-04 12:30 PM

SB,
it is toooo much. he is a professor!!!!!!! a professor!!!!!!!
I don't want to go to college.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2007-05-04 02:31 PM

But he's a witty bitty guy! (and I thought he was a scientist?) Dunno.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Time Travel... scientifically possible?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary