navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Why do people die?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Why do people die? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kitherion
since 2006-08-01
Posts 181
Johannesburg

0 posted 2007-04-24 04:57 AM

No I'm not being stupid or naive, and yes I do know that the body reaches a sate of metabolism that doesn't allow it to replace cells rapidly... hence aging. But still, why do we die? And does the soul die with the body, or is it the body dying because the soul is dead?

"Our Father who art in Heaven... Hallowed be thy name..."

© Copyright 2007 Donovan - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2007-04-24 06:06 AM

They get tired.
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
2 posted 2007-04-24 11:09 AM

Some feel that humans are already dead, by religious standards, and must be born again. The concept of the soul seems trapped and entwined by a body, the mind, and the heart: Infinite possibilities upon a very finite existence.

Science says we begin to die at birth, yet science can’t explain why people are alive when they should be dead, (miracles) and natural causes have many factors besides age.

I don’t want to be infinite, so I don’t really consider why on death. I’m amazed by being alive. Each day is one more day I get to aggravate my loved ones and dream about that Mustang.

“I like to go cool out with the family
Sippin', reminiscing on days when I had a Mustang.” (Fergie)

see, I haven’t gotten to the reminiscing part yet, but I’d like to know what that feels like. I might be 80, and Mustangs might morph into hover crafts by the time I get behind the...controls, but if Death doesn’t get me, I’ll be there. Look out world.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2007-04-24 11:45 AM

We don't die.  We just become very unlively.
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2007-04-24 12:49 PM

To make room for the next jerk to be born...
Drauntz
Member Elite
since 2007-03-16
Posts 2905
Los Angeles California
5 posted 2007-04-24 02:27 PM

If Adam and Eve are made for forever living (Adult stem cells are every where in the body to replace the died cells), then after the illegal snack, Words started the programmed death. Cell has programmed death. Our life is also programmed.  war, gun, crazy people shorter our lives  just like the computer is turned off by someone, with program running or not.
Soul...something still physically unknown to us will be here forever.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
6 posted 2007-04-24 06:14 PM

quote:
We don't die.  We just become very unlively.

That is the definition of death, Ess.  The positive statement of the negative.  It doesn't change things.

We die because a life principle was lost along with our innocence and connectedness to our Creator.  We entered into a chosen (not only by our parental representatives in Adam and Eve, but by each individual as well) spiritual path of autonomy.  Death and pain is the reminder that something is amiss ... a reminder that we cannot construct the world as we wish and remain in well-being.  Only the wild optimism of Christianity makes tolerable its stark realism that the world as we know it is spiraling.

There is mercy in it, in that there is time to reflect upon our finitude.  Time to turn.  Time to willingly die (with God's help) to the principle which gave rise to death in the first place ... the will to be autonomous possessive and god-like, rather than possess a more certain reflective kind of beauty, and a dependent kind of ability.
Of course there are many secondary explanations of death, which are also true, such as the biological scientific explanation.  But it is still good to get a glimpse of the more foundational causes, and the prescriptions that have been granted along with them.      

Stephen    

Kitherion
since 2006-08-01
Posts 181
Johannesburg
7 posted 2007-04-25 12:49 PM

Okay, interesting... well, heres one then, since we weren't programmed to die (I knew that, I honestly did) then why did God make us die? And howcome everyone had to suffer for the illegal snack ?????

"Our Father who art in Heaven... Hallowed be thy name..."

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
8 posted 2007-04-25 01:25 AM

Kith:
quote:
Okay, interesting... well, heres one then, since we weren't programmed to die (I knew that, I honestly did) then why did God make us die? And howcome everyone had to suffer for the illegal snack ?????

Because, to coin a phrase of Peter Kreft, there's a solidarity about humanity that we individualistic Westerners have a hard time grasping.  Yet Near-Eastern and Far-Eastern cultures have seen it and accepted it since ancient times.  

The tendency to sin is now a family likeness.  And since our individual wills are eagerly involved (I know mine has been), it's no use talking too demandingly about a lack of justice.  I'm not sure if I could have, or would have, done much better than my Ancient representatives.    

It's not an easy answer.  But the short answer is that redeemed humanity is/ will be more glorious than unfallen humanity.  And that without commending or eulogizing the fall, but rather the rescuer.  

Stephen

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Why do people die?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary