navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Philosophy?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Philosophy? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina

0 posted 2006-08-09 04:08 AM

Why on earth is there a philosophy forum on a poetry website? Poets think with their emotions and philosophy needs to be free from any bias set by passion or pride. Poets know philosophy about as much as a fish knows Austrian folk dancing. I'd imagine that two poets talking about the philosophical matters of the world would sound like two kids screaming "Yes it is!" "No it is isn't!"

Not to be rude, I'm just voicing my opinion. I just think it's all rather silly...

And furthermore, administrators should probably rename the forum as well. Since most everybody only talks about religion, the forum should appropriately called Religion. Endless threads about religion and no body seems to get anywhere, sad... yet funny at the same time.

[Insert quote of wisdom here]

© Copyright 2006 Edward Grant - All Rights Reserved
Digital_Hell
since 2006-06-05
Posts 202
Amidst black roses
1 posted 2006-08-09 08:27 AM

Well we are all entitled out opinion. The reason i would say there is a Philosophy forum here is so that we as poets can discuss things. Yes we all have our opinions and emotional beliefs, but that does not mean we cannot argue objectively about a subject matter.

quote:
Poets know philosophy about as much as a fish knows Austrian folk dancing
Really? ah well i suppose i should destroy all my books on philosophy. Forget everything i read in them. Wipe names such as Plato, Socrates etc from my mind hey?

quote:
two kids screaming "Yes it is!" "No it is isn't!
I suggest you actually read some of the threads here, and then tell us if we are doing this.

And the reason we talk about religion so much is because in an argument on it, you can bring up almost any philosophical argument as most of these relate to religion in some way.

The world is art, is poetry. And what is philosophy but trying to understand the world?

A sign in  the wind
The fatal last breath
Soft prelude to death
Alone
Amidst black roses

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

2 posted 2006-08-09 08:54 AM

Philosophy
according to dictionary.com

1.  Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
3.  A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.
4.  The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
5.  The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
6.  The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.
7.  A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.
8.  A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.

I for one, love these forums...and even though I may at the time disagree, the information, someone else has offered in challenge of my beliefs, is stored and thought about later, perhaps while driving in the car, or while baking, etc.

I've learned a lot and changed my beliefs somewhat because of this forum...

I'm also learning how to articulate myself better through words, without getting my butt in trouble...so that no one might be offended.  

thought patterns of other poets, explode into great sources of information, and then there are some in here that teach thought pattern management, which also contributes to a philosophy of knowledge, and how to attain, consider, allow, and change which all help to clear mental pathways, opening doors to many different theories.  

I believe this forum is vital for expression as well as learning how to articulate and share beliefs open for discussion.

The Shadow in Blue
since 2006-05-18
Posts 493
EL, Michigan
3 posted 2006-08-09 10:27 AM

Why shouldn't there be a philosophy forum on a poetry site.

I see no wrong in having this forum, because everyone has an opinion and thought process on philosophy. Just because this is a poetry site and "poets think with their emotions" doesn't mean that their opinions on the world don't matter.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
4 posted 2006-08-09 10:36 AM

If you expect us to take your criticisms seriously, you should probably do three things:

1) reread your history. Ask yourself how many poets were also philosophers, and how many philosophers were also poets.  The overlap will be embarrassing.

2) Ask yourself why there is something called "philosophy of religion", and how much philosophy has involved religious questions.  The overlap will be embarrassing.

3) show up and demonstrate how philosophy should be done, rather than telling us.  

otherwise, welcome.

Stephen.

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
5 posted 2006-08-09 12:36 PM

PERFECT!!! This is wonderful. Now I can join the fun. See, it is my philosophy that anything worth doing is worth scrutinizing to see how its participants react. You've all passed with flying colors. I've been looking at this forum for a while and I wasn't sure I wanted to invest my time into it. I needed to be sure that I'll be happy before I go all the way because once I get going I probably won’t stop. But maybe I shouldn't focus on happiness, after all Anon did say, "Philosophy is a study that lets us be unhappy more intelligently."

Digital hell, I can’t wait to have a good discussion with you, you sound like a person wearing a toga and a stone tablet in hand.

I hope I didn’t tick anybody off too much; it’s all in good fun and like I said, I wanted to test the waters.

A word of warning to everyone though, I am obsessed with absurdism and all that it entails. So my topics may be a little weird but nonetheless sincere and generally serious. God bless

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
6 posted 2006-08-09 12:39 PM

Oh and P.S., Stephanos, I'm a proud Roman Catholic and wouldn't change it for the world. I was just noticing that there are a lot of religious topics, that's all.

Digital_Hell
since 2006-06-05
Posts 202
Amidst black roses
7 posted 2006-08-09 12:43 PM

quote:
I hope I didn’t tick anybody off too much; it’s all in good fun and like I said, I wanted to test the waters.
Not at all. We propably would never admit it, but we all love a good argument no matter the outcome. Argue for arguments sake and nothing else!  

quote:
Digital hell, I can’t wait to have a good discussion with you, you sound like a person wearing a toga and a stone tablet in hand.
I look that old already?! And im only 17, what will i look like when i hit 18

quote:
So my topics may be a little weird but nonetheless sincere and generally serious
I cant wait  

A sign in  the wind
The fatal last breath
Soft prelude to death
Alone
Amidst black roses

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

8 posted 2006-08-09 12:52 PM

""Yes it is!" "No it is isn't!""

*ahem* I believe what you have referred to here is the "snot-stew* argument, originally so termed by me and my brother, although I did mention this terminology in a previous thread. My family established precedence for its use way back in 1972 (I think) or whenever George Mcgovern was running for president.

It is a phonics-derived term, which can be replicated by any two people arguing at any time who do not give references or quote sources.

Nod.

Just say, "Is not"--"Is too"--over and over, ad nauseum and soon enough all that the human ear will find intelligible is "SNOT!" and "STEW!".

Pounding tables and yelling are entirely optional, and the game ceases when either Dad wakes up, or Mom gets ticked off.

The winner of this argument would be the one who manages to get the last word without getting punished.

--Hood Family Chronicles, as yet to be written, by moi

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

9 posted 2006-08-09 02:22 PM

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
10 posted 2006-08-09 02:34 PM

NO way, I’ll be 18 on the 23th!! That's crazy. You seem much more mature than me.

Serenity, if you write that book, you can reserve me a few copies, lol.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
11 posted 2006-08-09 02:58 PM

The word is "scrutiny". Ahoy!

I've just read Harold Pinter's "The Dumb Waiter". I didn't see any absurdities, I just found another place where Quentin Tarrantino gets his ideas from.

I think there's a lot of religious subjects 'cos we're all obsessed with the powerful action of human aspiration! (or in other words, to quote Serenity, snot stew.)

Anyway, who said I was a poet?

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
12 posted 2006-08-09 04:17 PM

I'm not sure why you said ahoy to the word "scrutiny" or why you mentioned Harold Pinter but I'd imagine that if you are on a poetry website, you're probably more likely to be a poet than anything else.

kif kif
since 2006-06-01
Posts 439
BCN
13 posted 2006-08-09 05:00 PM

I'm a sucker for instant association. Scrutiny, Mutiny. I mentioned Harold Pinter, because his name and art-form has been following me around,  so I thought I should read some of his work. (I've just finished it, then read your post.) As an absurdist..."derived from the Existentialism of Albert Camus, and often applied to the modern sense of human purposelessness in a universe without meaning or value." (Oxford dictionary Of Literary Terms.) I'm still bemused by the whole "Theatre Of The Absurd", but it's something I've recently got interested in. Someone gave me Beckett's "Waiting For Godot" ages ago, but I didn't finish it (insert dissapating parp here.)

I'm a poetry lover, not a poet...yet. Ps, do you think this would qualify as an absurdist write?

The Shadow in Blue
since 2006-05-18
Posts 493
EL, Michigan
14 posted 2006-08-09 08:08 PM

Lol! Loved the book idea Serenity. It reminds me a lot of me and my brother when we were younger-except the fact that I -always- winned.

Oh and Edward, I liked your idea of a gauge for this forum -very- ingenius :-)
Hope you have a good 18th b-day when it comes around.

~Jill S.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
15 posted 2006-08-09 09:22 PM

Ever heard of TS Elliot?
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
16 posted 2006-08-09 09:38 PM

"The world is art, is poetry. And what is philosophy but trying to understand the world?"

Just wanted to put that in bold

The Shadow in Blue
since 2006-05-18
Posts 493
EL, Michigan
17 posted 2006-08-09 09:52 PM

now I feel like a fool for  completely forgeting about the T.S. Elliot reference...anyways...*backs out unceromoniously*
I guess I am a tad immature in the literature department

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
18 posted 2006-08-09 09:54 PM

The best philosophers, are poets.
Digital_Hell
since 2006-06-05
Posts 202
Amidst black roses
19 posted 2006-08-10 11:52 AM

The best philosophers, are poets. Would that then mean that the best poets are philosophers? I would think its a double sided coin... Both seek understanding of the world...

Essorant For the bold

A sign in  the wind
The fatal last breath
Soft prelude to death
Alone
Amidst black roses

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

20 posted 2006-08-14 07:13 AM

quote:
The best philosophers, are poets. Would that then mean that the best poets are philosophers? I would think its a double sided coin... Both seek understanding of the world...

I agree, adding, (and taking this a bit further) it has been my understanding that poets, and people who've experienced rigid times...seem to own a sensory perception , would anyone care to elaborate on this?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

21 posted 2006-08-14 02:15 PM

"Now, if the artist veers too far from the maddening crowd, we are in a Plato-Cave situation, no? "

a quote from Ron Mwangaguhunga, in reply to this:
http://www.nchicha.com/other/archives/002774.html

Enjoy, Lee. It's a fascinating argument which references other fascinating reading material.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

22 posted 2006-08-14 02:30 PM

And now I am drooling over yet another book:
http://www.objectivistcenter.org/ct-1747-CreatingBrRev.aspx

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

23 posted 2006-08-15 08:50 AM

Many thanks Karen, for the refrences

Especially liked this

quote:
Brian: In the past year, I’ve decided to step away from medications. Now, I’m using depression as a fuel or energy to create. Depression doesn’t have to a bad thing, or a negative, and I think ‘the artist’ eventually realizes what real creative energy they get from their depression. So, you begin to see the embracing of [depression] as a way to get things done.

I still believe, lets see if I can explain this as I feel it....

artists are creative creatures, due to a special sensitivity that they were born with, call it a sense or something they can feel that others cannot, perhaps a profound perception....and maybe due to living life to the fullest, not being afraid to be alone, or to go against what society considers normal, sane and/or trends.  

Art can be learned, but surely does not have the same refined culture that those born with the gift have? It, to me, in it's own right is philosophical.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

24 posted 2006-08-15 05:01 PM

Whoa.

I am not advocating that anyone stop taking their prescribed meds.

Not here, not now. And especially not in New Orleans.

In fact, we have a phone circle going to warn each other when somebody does go off their meds.

I wish I were kidding.

The whole city is nuts Lee. But anyhow, I just thought the argument on that link was interesting, and I do happen to have at least one of those books on hand, um, somewhere, An Unquiet Mind. A pretty good look at bipolor disorder, written by a psychiatrist who suffered from that, and it reads nicely for the layman reader too.

Now...I wonder?

Would it be legal to add a codicil to my tenant's lease to assure that bunch all stays on their meds?

Sheesh. It turns out that I am the sane one!

Now that's skeery.

XOx Uriah xOX
since 2006-02-11
Posts 1403
Virginia
25 posted 2006-08-15 05:06 PM

::shivers::
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

26 posted 2006-08-16 06:42 AM

Hey Karen
No, no, no, I wasn't suggesting that anyone stop taking their meds...simply put, I liked Brian's comment during the interview, on that website.  

I'm not an advocate of meds (although I'm well aware that meds are crucial)...and that particular part jumped out at me, and I loved it and wanted to thank you for leaving the two links to two very interesting sites.

Thanks again  
you wicked woman  

so sorry to hear of all the turmoil, still alive and well in your area...and again, (in hopes to plant a seed)....I wish, and hope you are taking notes...as this would most definately make a book that everyone might be interested in reading.  If anything, folks should know, that things are far from being back to normal there and why from the perspective of a resident of that area.   hint, hint, hint.  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

27 posted 2006-08-16 02:14 PM

Some days y'just gotta laugh, Lee.

There is actually a number for emergency psychiatric evaluations. They run that one along with other help organizations on the evening news ticker thingie.

"Are you or any of your loved ones delusional? Hearing voices, lights, or experiencing panic attacks or paranoia? Call 555-NUTS and ask for Dr. Demento..."

So I wrote it down.

Now when everybody is misbehaving, all I have to do is pick up my address book and the phone. I swear it's just like rolling up newspaper for the dawg! Everyone goes into a submissive state immediately and skulks off to their various designated areas of privacy.

Shaking my head, now what were we talking about?

Sorry. Heh.

There's a lot of lost train of thought conversations around here too.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Philosophy?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary