navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » foeticide
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic foeticide Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2005-01-21 08:02 PM

“Experts blame the outlawed practice of female foeticide (aborting female babies) for the skewed male/female ratio and say that almost a million girl foetuses have been killed because culture and tradition state that boy babies are preferable. . .

Experts say sex determination scans are easy to get, even in the remotest villages and that, unless the trend is reversed, another 70 million girl foetuses could be aborted over the next two decades."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4173597.stm

How does a prosecutor determine this “crime”?
Should this be a crime?

© Copyright 2005 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-01-21 09:03 PM

Yanno, it would've been handy if you had mentioned the country referenced: India.

Different countries have different laws.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2005-01-22 12:04 PM

Alicat,

Does what country
impact the answers
to the questions:

How does a prosecutor determine this “crime”?
Should this be a crime?

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2005-01-22 01:08 AM

Well, since it wasn't articulated at the onset, the presumption I had was this was something in America.  Yeah, so I'm not an internationalist.  I can live with that.

The basis on nationality is important, since some nations have inherent, normally religious, views that sons are more important/preferable.  In those countries, good luck trying to make such illegal, especially if abortion is legal.  Which in India's case, I'm really not sure if it is or not.  If it is, it's up to them to change the laws.

Which makes the question of illegality/criminality moot.  We all make our beds, and in those beds we must sleep.  They chose this course of action, let them reap the consequences.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
4 posted 2005-01-22 02:04 PM

Let me ask this question then.  Assuming
they keep facts and/or statistics on such things,
(somehow they know in India), if it was found
that abortions were clearly similarly discriminatory,
in  particular ethnic communities or in the United States
as a whole, should that be reason for concern, for action?

P.S. Something similar to India,
apparently happened in China; there
have been cases of young women now
being  abducted to areas where there is a
disproportionate population of
marriageable males.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
5 posted 2005-01-22 02:27 PM

Again, cultural.  If the United States had continued with patriarchal societal norms, then that would indeed be a concern here.  Not to mention if this country had the massive amount of people that both India and especially China possess.  Livable space is also a factor, as it is in Japan, where real estate is always at a premium.  You would be hard pressed to find families of 4 children or greater there, due in part to availability of space, but also the strictures on family planning.  And in those cultures where man-childs are preferable for continuation of the family name, you will continue to see sexual discrimination and gender cleansing.  However, those are my own views, being in this particular section of this country, and laws don't always cross borders well.  Just look at California, or Mexico.
RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

6 posted 2005-01-22 04:51 PM

I figured you meant China since it happens there quite often.

Is it a crime? There is no worse!

What the hell do I want to share the planet with a bunch of men for?

Poets against the war is redundant

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » foeticide

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary