navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Kitty
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Kitty Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2004-12-05 02:03 PM

“During the 1960s, when there was no shortage of drama in the nation’s courtrooms, one murder case stood alone in its ability to shock the country. The crime was not as gruesome as some others, since many more were just as violent, and still more that easily surpassed it. The victim was an ordinary working girl, not at all wealthy and not a member of any elite class. Her name was Catherine Genovese, the 28-year-old daughter of Italian-American parents. But to millions of people who read her story when it first appeared in New York City’s press, she would forever be remembered as “Kitty” Genovese. What happened to her, what happened to all of society on that dreadful night in the spring of 1964, would reverberate across the country and generate a national soul-searching that is reserved for only the most catastrophic of events. And nearly 40 years later, her name has become synonymous with a dark side of an urban character that, for many people, represents a harsh and disturbing reality of big city life.”

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/kitty_genovese/

I actually got into a tense discussion with  someone who contended
that if there was a scream in the night for help, so long as I was
with her, I had no business going out.

Let’s assume for a moment 911 is not working or the phones are
busy.  You’re married, or have a significant other sitting beside
you.  Whoever is crying out , it’s not someone you know.  What’s the
obligation, if any,  that you go out and possibly risk your life to help
a stranger?  

© Copyright 2004 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
1 posted 2004-12-05 03:21 PM

Where did the phrase "good samaritan" come from?  Anyone remember that story?

The bane of 21st century life in America is insulated digitized lives, where it's hard even to care, much less act, to help another.  But it's still possible, even if rare, and I think we should all make sure we don't forget to at least be open to individual acts of compassion, rather than leaving everything to the "professionals", or the "system".  That's what makes us really human.  

Stephen.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
2 posted 2004-12-05 06:07 PM

quote:
Let’s assume for a moment 911 is not working or the phones are busy.  You’re married, or have a significant other sitting beside you.  Whoever is crying out , it’s not someone you know.  What’s the obligation, if any, that you go out and possibly risk your life to help a stranger?
Without a shadow of a doubt ... I would rush out to assist~

If I was with 'someone' ... before I rushed out to help, I'd instruct them to keep trying to get backup assistance~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram <))><

Email noles1@totcon.com

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
3 posted 2004-12-05 06:21 PM

Marge,

Why?

TexUS
since 2003-03-20
Posts 228

4 posted 2004-12-05 10:25 PM

I think your friend is wrong.  
The obligation is a moral one…compassion, and “putting ones self in another’s shoes” is what should provoke us into action.  
I cannot believe 38 people heard, saw, or knew something was going on, and did nothing.  That practically makes them all accomplices in this horrible crime.  
How sad they did not think “if this was my daughter, sister, mother, I would want someone to help her”…

Kaoru
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-06-07
Posts 3892
where the wild flowers grow
5 posted 2004-12-06 12:11 PM

I've been in a situation where I needed to scream for help, and no one came to my rescue. I was being chased by a psycho ex-boyfriend with a weapon. I screamed at the top of my lungs for help, and there was nothing... So, I guess that if I had gotten killed or majorly injured, I or my family would've wondered why no one helped.

It's pretty hard not to hear someone scream right outside of your house when it's dead quiet. I wonder what they were thinking..

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
6 posted 2004-12-06 12:13 PM

TexUS,

Perhaps, and yet consider the perspective.  It’s one thing to
approve giving your own life, and another to agree to a loved
one even risking his, whether it be a loved man going into the
dangerous dark or a son going off to war however laudable
the reason.  How does one reconcile that love with a willingness
to send that love to possibly being lost forever?

John

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
7 posted 2004-12-06 12:19 PM

Kaoru,

As alluded to in my response to TexUS,  it may depend on the
perspective.  If you went screaming past a barracks full of
single men and no one responded there might be one reason,
in a mean neighborhood with families behind their doors,
another.

It’s relatively easy to be brave when you are alone,
or among and for those you at least consider friends,
something else for strangers.

John

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
8 posted 2004-12-06 01:20 AM

John, it's a psychological group mentality.  The more people are present in the group, the more each one thinks someone else will step up and do something, and the less responsibility is percieved as owned by each member of the group.  In some instances, this is indeed false, when a group acts as one to help another in need without thought of individual selves.  Howsoever, more often than not, each and every person in a group of onlookers each thinks that someone else will do what needs doing.  Somebody will step forward.  Somebody will confront.  If not, then I will, but I'll just wait a moment just in case someone else wants to step forward first.

See how it goes?  Sometimes herds move as one, and sometimes they don't.  It all depends on the individual in the group.  As an aside, questioning another's personal reasons and motives while giving none of your own, simply more questions and references to 'experts' is more than a bit unfair.  How about answering your own question for once without relying on outside sources.  As for me, I would step forward, and have in the past.  Not out of hopes of glory, not out of hopes of press attention, but out of doing the right thing, irregardless of the cost.  This is not based on some intellectual's viewpoint.  It's simply part of the core of who I am.  Like it or not, I am Me.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
9 posted 2004-12-06 01:28 AM

Alicat,

/pip/Forum91/HTML/000070.html

John

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
10 posted 2004-12-06 01:59 AM

Though an interesting poem, it's a non-sequitor.  I could try to connect the myriad dots in an effort to recreate the picture you have in your mind, but that's a rather pointless exercise in futility.  I already have enough of those, like herding cats and trying to get a very intelligent, but lazy, 15-year-old to do better in school, without taking on more of those exercises.
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
11 posted 2004-12-06 02:17 AM

Alicat,

Very well then, I‘ll give you this.
I might, even now, go out
but because:

/pip/Forum91/HTML/000721.html

and I might not,
because it was a long time ago,
and I think a man has a right
to retire from the line.

We all, (including me),
will have to just wait and see.

John

P.S.

“I actually got into a tense discussion with  someone who contended
that if there was a scream in the night for help, so long as I was
with her, I had no business going out.”

My girl, (we met at university),  was very angry with me,
as were, years before, my parents, (former slaves under Hitler),
when I told them I intended to enlist.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
12 posted 2004-12-06 11:31 AM

quote:
Marge,

Why?

John, I can't conceive of any reason why not !

I speak with experience here ...
I have been called upon in the past to come to the aid of 'complete strangers' ... three separate times involving three separate 'strangers'~

I certainly hope that if ever I am the one urgently needing help, that whoever might hear my cries won't take the time to flip a coin in deciding 'if' they should come to my aid~

~*Marge*~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram <))><

Email noles1@totcon.com

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Kitty

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary