navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Derrida is "Dead" - Derrida's Legacy
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Derrida is "Dead" - Derrida's Legacy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash

0 posted 2004-10-20 01:39 PM

I recently learned that Jacques Derrida, the French philosopher and founder of Deconstruction passed away (see the link below).  I would be surprised if Brad had not heard of this, as it is clear from my time at Penn State that literary scholars hold Derrida's work in high acclaim.

I am curious about what you think will become Derrida's legacy or what you think ought to be Derrida's legacy.  Personally, I don't think Deconstructionism will last any longer than Structuralist or New Critical theories.  In my opinion, Derrida's most important contribution was his recognition that (to paraphrase Francis Shaeffer) no things human are arranged in unrelated parallel lines.  In other words, Derrida's criticism of the disciplinary university structure and his advocacy for interdisciplinarity are of far greater worth to us today than his theory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/weekinreview/17eaki.h  tml?ex=1098936000&en=51b1155e189e74f5&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA1

Your thoughts?

Jim

© Copyright 2004 Jim Bouder - All Rights Reserved
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
1 posted 2004-10-21 09:39 PM

It's kind of funny. When I found out, I went  "Ah, Jacque died," and nobody knew what I was talking about.

His legacy? I suspect that the next hundred years or so will put him roughly in the same league as Joyce. Worth the time if you have the time, but perhaps better left unread if you don't.

Or perhaps Nietsche is a better comparison. How many ways can you get this guy wrong?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Derrida is "Dead" - Derrida's Legacy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary