navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Normality
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Normality Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York

0 posted 2003-12-13 02:11 PM

What is normal anyways?

Love,
             xXx~*KELLIE*~xXx
Graduation : January 29th 2004

© Copyright 2003 Kellie M. Cantrell - All Rights Reserved
Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
1 posted 2003-12-13 10:36 PM

Exactly what they told you it was

Jason

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2003-12-13 10:46 PM

Aside from the egocentric definitions and the very notion that observing alters that being observed, normality struts and poses on the runway within, flirting constantly with the camera's eye.  Add to that societal mandate seperating the wheat from the chaff, or the acceptable from the abherrant. Huxley and Orwell expressed definitions of one brand of normalality, while Heinlein often espoused another....within their writings, of course.

Simply put, 'normal' is taught, but doesn't have to be learned.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
3 posted 2003-12-14 09:50 AM

instead of ?

berengar
since 2004-01-02
Posts 86

4 posted 2004-01-08 06:26 AM

It's in reference to things 'not normal' that we begin to understand the place of normalcy, and that it's more 'essential' to our psyches than one might expect. For instance, imagine talking to a friend, and we suddenly noice her tongue is covered in white fur...
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
5 posted 2004-01-08 06:00 PM

Normal is a legal term. There are so many versions of normal (6 billion at last count), that it is an impossible word to define.

Cause in my dreams it's always there
The evil face that twists my mind
And brings me to despair.

KristieSue
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2003-01-31
Posts 1460
PA, US
6 posted 2004-01-08 06:23 PM

Well I can't tell you what normal is, but let me tell ya this.  If anyone tells you THEY are normal, hide your wallet.  They will surely try to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge next! :-p

Failure isn't failure if a lesson from it is learned ~ KS

Vagabond
since 2004-01-23
Posts 163

7 posted 2004-02-03 03:53 PM

normal is an abstract consept

Vagabon the Lost One

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2004-02-03 07:31 PM

How would we know?

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Vagabond
since 2004-01-23
Posts 163

9 posted 2004-02-04 03:54 PM

It is normal not to know what normal it

Vagabon the Lost One

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2004-02-04 04:28 PM

Ringo stated,  
quote:
Normal is a legal term. There are so many versions of normal (6 billion at last count), that it is an impossible word to define.

Cites, please. LOL...I looked up "normal" in my Ballantine's Law Dictionary.  Normal is found to apply only to "normal school", i.e., a teachers' college.

As for your 6 billion [tongue-in-cheek?] count...what dictionary DO you peruse?  I want a copy!  LOL....

One of the words applied to normal is "ordinary" as in "a course of events."  Its antonym: "abnormal".  So if I have an extraordinary matter, what is its antonym?

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
11 posted 2004-02-04 05:19 PM

If you see a page of black and one circle that is white, the white circle is abnormal. It isn't in a multi-color paper.

To be exceptional, one must first accept that others are not.

Tais
since 2004-01-28
Posts 92
Ontario, Canada
12 posted 2004-02-09 11:59 AM

I think that 'normal', considering what it has been used as, is when things or events or people are like the majority or the expected.

But that's not normal to me.

So, to me, normal would be specific to each one's morality or ways of thinking or ways of being or the expected.

Normal has a different meaning to each one.

But nothing is normal. Everything is always changing, even theories. Nothing stays the same.

If normal is sometimes considered "without change of the usual", then, our world would not exist, it would be a fantasy.

Why?

Because everything changes.

But we do, however, categorize what would be 'normal' behaviour between humans and normal events which would probably happen.

Conclusion: Good question!

And I have no idea what the answer would be, and if there is even an answer to that question.

Is there?

Tais

Vagabond
since 2004-01-23
Posts 163

13 posted 2004-02-09 03:35 PM

Normal is defined as the idividual, and that's it, there's no arguing. I spent many restless nights thinking about this witch is normal.

lol

no sleepless nights and i welcome you to argue with me

Vagabon the Lost One

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
14 posted 2004-02-09 03:44 PM

"thinking about this witch is normal."

I don't think I have ever met any witch that was normal!  

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2004-02-09 06:08 PM

Ess? If you've never met a normal witch, then you must not be a witch.

If I may, I'd like to use a personal anecdote as an example of what I mean. I corresponded with the local High Priestess of a local Wiccan church for some time, before I was invited to be "initiated" as a high priestess myself at a sunrise Beltane celebration at Lake Ponchartrain in New Orleans. (Initiation as "High Priestess" simply means that one is recognized by their peers as having authority to teach and lead in ritual--there is no presentation of brooms nor is there is sex with goats. Not in my experience anyway--chuckle.)

As I prepared for this meeting and ensuing celebration, I, having a bit of vanity about me, asked a friend, "What do witches wear?"

Neither of us knew, so I dressed as I always did to observe Sabbat.

As the sun came up, my friend and I climbed the levee, announcing our arrival to the group with bells and rattles.

We met them at the top, and I was delighted to come face-to-face with the High Priestess of the Circle of the Covenant Church who was dressed quite similar to me.

Now is all of this normal?

It sure felt like "home" to me.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
16 posted 2004-02-09 06:34 PM

Thought question:

Action -- You're, without your knowledge, moved to another planet that looks exactly like this one, same people, same situations etc. with a few exceptions:

1. All water has 10% alcohol in it.

2. The people have evolved to metabolize the alcohol, you haven't, you're from this planet, not that one.

Are you normal for that planet?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

17 posted 2004-02-09 06:41 PM

Brad?

Methinks you've just summed up the plight of being a substance abuser, attempting to recover in New Orleans.

(chuckling with you, not at you my friend)

To apply this personally, my answer will have to be, am I normal? Shrug, pretty much I think.

I just happen to have a broken thermostat.

...and to continue on with that thought, is having a broken "thermostat" normal?

Sadly, here, on "my planet" it has become so.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
18 posted 2004-02-09 07:58 PM

Serenity

I may believe that in a society of witches; but witches are still not "normal" when we put all things in one heap, are they?
Witches were special and sacred for having passages to Otherworlds that "normal" and common churls had not in ancient times.
Perhaps it was "normal in those ancient tribes that a "witch" was sought, and often a witch was found; but the witches as beings themselves, male or female, were not normal as far as tribespeoples go. They were special and spiritually superior.  Only when mission-haughty Christianity came about did they get called allevil.  But Christians and Witches both practiced the same magic only in different crafts and even do still today.
Magic never ends      
It is good to hear you are a believer too      

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

19 posted 2004-02-09 08:22 PM

smiling here, I'm a bit confused about the "one heap" thing--

having cleaned up after many a party, I understand the need for a bit of organization.

I would also like to state that I never embraced the term witch until I realized that my speeches would be countered with that designation--to paraphrase a famous quote, it was not me who called me "witch" but others deemed me so.

I just use it as a sort of short cut--and, I confess it is kind of litmus test at times to the capacity of understanding of the people with whom I'm trying to maintain a conversation.

I confess too, that I don't particularly like the term "mission-haughty Christianity" either. It's just a tad unnecessarily inflammatory for my taste. (and nodding, trust me, I've had the missionaries knocking at my door, but there comes a point where you find the intent endearing--it's done out of love, afterall)

But as with all things, perception is subjective--

I think wisdom is filtered through layers of human history and understanding of archetype-"normality" as a general consensus-and if you truly feel validated in your chosen path, the only evidence others have to go by is the example of the truth of your very being--and I have been, much admittedly a poor example, or "witness" to my faith.

I don't believe in superiority.

The symbolic "Jacob's ladder", to my perception, does not go up, but is a series of archetype and mythology laid upon its side--as a bridge across an abyss.

Blessed be and God bless, Ess.

(and thank you)

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
20 posted 2004-02-09 09:35 PM

Serenity

I'm sorry.  I was using "heap" very loosely.  I just meant when we step back and try to judge things from a more social and worldly sense and detach us a bit more from this particular individuality and this particular society.  If our eyes focus only on "island" normal is more confined to the island; but when we try to view things more socially and worldly then the island will be naturally addressed in the due course of care.  If someone's practices foul rites on some privy and detached island, that is only relevant to the island.  It doesn't reflect the chief nature of the world.  
But If we go by a sense and direction that is attuned to social and worldly weal than we shall naturally address our indiviual persons, I believe.
Thus witches have always been a bit more unsocial but moreso because they were forced out of the "social" realm.  If they had been able to evolve as they originally were it would probably be as common to say "go see the Witch" as saying "go see the doctor.  I don't know if that would have been a good thing or an bad thing.
But in this age urbanization and rationalism are in excess (with a thousand other things). And I think there is a thirst now growing to reaquaint oneself with the magic of ancient ages.  The rationalism has impaired our imagination, and we need to communicate more deeply with it again; find our ancestors and our ancestors' spirits.  The resurrection of witchcraft may be part of that.  This time none may hurt it, it may hurt none if people are rightly democratic.  
For democracy should hold shields in both hands.

"I confess too, that I don't particularly like the term "mission-haughty Christianity" either.."

Please know I am speaking more in a context of the past
Going door to door today is like a remaining candle of an inferno from the days of going country to country; thank God and good wisdom of Human we have democracy to shield us or even today many religious people, especially of christianity only more outstandingly because christianity has always been outstanding in its greatness as a religion, would brings weapon-force on their course, trying to justify that in their religions name and fame.  People are different but carry still streaks of those former ways                

I'm not going to hide the point that I think that was missionmadness.  Christians those days seemed to heap Christianity on everyone.  So be it though; they all so enlightened and gave people a much higher destination in life and lore.  There is no reason for Christians to try and deny what will never be forgotten of some darkness in their history, but there is reason to look back to see how far it has come and overweighed those with light and grace.

"...wisdom is filtered through layers of human history and understanding of archetype-"normality" as a general consensus"

I don't think I may disagree with that.  Well said.

Talk to you later,

Essorant

[This message has been edited by Essorant (02-10-2004 06:57 AM).]

Tais
since 2004-01-28
Posts 92
Ontario, Canada
21 posted 2004-02-10 04:38 PM

wrong thread...sorry. I'll post in the correct one.

Tais

Masked Intruder
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 Tours
since 1999-05-23
Posts 1231
Near golden sunsets
22 posted 2004-02-10 05:40 PM

Normal in my Physics world means perpendicular to a plane.  Now, applying that to standard rhetoric, doesn't that mean that normal would be going a completely different direction as everything else?  Ah well, such is Physics.

-*-*-

Immortality is my illusion.

Vagabond
since 2004-01-23
Posts 163

23 posted 2004-02-11 08:18 AM

all of this due to my typo

Vagabon the Lost One

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Normality

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary