navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » CRATYLUS
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic CRATYLUS Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
winston
since 2002-12-19
Posts 204
NW of Eden

0 posted 2003-01-20 04:47 PM

I've heard that this ancient Greek philosopher gave up speaking because he couldn't trust language to accurately reflect what is 'true'.
So far I haven't been able to find anything substantial as to why he came to be that way. Does anyone know if there's any written remains of his thoughts.
Thanks.

It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, & incumbency.
--G. "DUBYA" BUSH. June 14, 2001. Unaware of rolling TV camera.

© Copyright 2003 winston - All Rights Reserved
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
1 posted 2003-01-22 01:35 PM

Assuming he wrote his thoughts...  If I had been a contemporary of his, I would have asked him  1) Having lost faith in language, why did you write your thoughts?  and 2)  Why should I believe what you say?

I've never heard of him, but maybe it's the precursor to deconstructionism, which I'm unable to view as anything other than self-refuting theory, despite its insightful moments.

Stephen.

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (01-22-2003 01:36 PM).]

winston
since 2002-12-19
Posts 204
NW of Eden
2 posted 2003-01-23 08:12 AM

Thanks Stephanos. Presumably, Cratylus didn't jot down anything for the exact reasons you've pointed out. Perhaps, he could see (unlike the deconstructionists) that there would be someone asking what you and the rest of us would ask had he written anything down? In this respect, Cratylus becomes something more than any deconstructionist we can think of.
Thanks.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
3 posted 2003-01-24 12:23 PM

That is very interesting.  Have to wonder though, did he trust his own thoughts? maybe he lied to himself.
winston
since 2002-12-19
Posts 204
NW of Eden
4 posted 2003-01-24 11:54 AM

That's only a conjecture on our part Miah. We will never know whether if he continued to reflect on anything within his head?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » CRATYLUS

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary