navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Atum and Adam
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Atum and Adam Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2002-12-01 12:41 PM

Have you ever wondered of a signifigance/connection in Adam the first man of the bible and the first God of Egyptian Mythology Atum who was creator portrayed as a man, having such similar names thus?  

Could there be a possibility that Adam was really a God?!

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-01-2002 12:46 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2002-12-01 06:49 PM

Essorant,

Actually, I'd never heard of the mythological Egyptian god, Atum. I am more familiar with Greek mythology.

No, I don't believe that he was a God. I do believe, though, that it is possible that the Egyptians invented a "god" to worship, either drawing from the creation account or maybe the similar name is just pure coincidence.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
2 posted 2002-12-02 02:55 AM

Essorant,

I'll have to do some research on that one... never heard of Atum either?

I have to agree with Denise however ... If we are to go by the texts and attempt to stay true to original intent, Adam was not seen as a "god".  He was given much beauty and authority however, being "created in the image of God".  But whenever He, along with his wife Eve, ate the fruit of the Knowledge of Good & Evil, it seems to have been somewhat of an attempt to deify himself.  Remember how the serpent said "... your eyes will be opened and you will be like God knowing good and evil"?  This was a lure into a carnal attempt to become what he was not... to be unsatisfied with a lavish creaturely glory and reach for what belonged to God alone.  Anyway, this is the spirit of the original story, I think.  

Stephen.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
3 posted 2002-12-02 03:55 AM

But the Egyptian texts go further back than the bible.
And Tefnut Atum's daughter- the first Godess- is described to have been spat out of his rib and out of his body.  This is very similar to Eve coming from Adams body.

Atum and Adam may be the same being,  God and Human in one!

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-02-2002 11:39 AM).]

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

4 posted 2002-12-02 05:34 PM

It is not unusual at all to find that relgions borrow one from the other and that names get changed as they do. If you study many religious beliefs you will find there is a cross polination of ideas and of stories. Christmas for example being celebrated shortly after the Winter Solstice is not a coincidence, but a way early christians took older pagan celebrations and adopted them to the new teachings they embraced.

As for god and man... I think that depends on how you define god and how you define man... but I think the decline of gods has been documented in many myths and once they declined, they dies or became mortal. Again a recurring theme in myths of god and creation.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
5 posted 2002-12-03 11:32 AM

Essorant

From what I've read. "Atum" made his offspring from his spittle, not from his rib.  But I do see the possibility of Adam as a true historical figure, being made into mythology through Egyptian Lore.  Though the Biblical account is emphatic that Adam is not God, and is not the creator, it is interesting that the result of eating the forbidden fruit would be "...becoming as God" in a perverted sense.  Adam's aspiration in eating, was to become as God.  Biblically speaking, this was his sin.  Thus it would not surprise me if the historical Adam came to be worshiped through misconception as a god.  

One thing I see through Pagan mythology is the presence or "shadow" of the truth.  An example would be the mystery religions where an agricultural "god" died and came back every year in a dramatization.  When Christ came, he claimed to be reality of all shadows, and reflected most perfectly that which was dimly apprehended through nature.  Since all things were "created by him and for him",  it is no wonder that we see the principle of his death and ressurection even in the dying and sprouting of seed.  Some would argue that Christ is derived from nature.  But if the Bible is true, nature is derived from Christ... even the "nature" of pagan mythology.  Interesting topic indeed.

Stephen.  

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (12-03-2002 11:33 AM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
6 posted 2002-12-03 11:59 AM

"Christmas for example being celebrated shortly after the Winter Solstice is not a coincidence, but a way early christians took older pagan celebrations and adopted them to the new teachings they embraced."

But what does God say about this practice? Does God condone the taking of pagan celebrations and adopting them to praise Him?
Will He accept the worshipping on these pagan adopted days?

Heb 13:8

This states that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So if God speaks directly about a subject matter in the past, one can be sure His feelings are the same today.

Deut 12:1-8

God tells the Israelites that one cannot worship Him according to the ways and customs of the pagans. God is the same today, yes.

Deut 12:30-33

Here, God tells the Israelites specifically that they cannot worship Him according the the ways and customs of men.

"How did these nations serve their god? I will also do likewise (X-mas, Easter)."

And what did God say to the Israelites?

"You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates, they have done to their gods..."

So, has God changed the way He wants to be worshipped? Is it okay now for us to worship Him according to pagan traditions of men, but was not okay for the Israelites?

God/Jesus is the same as yesterday, as today, as in the future. He will never change.  

Hos 2:11

Here is where God states that He will put an end to these abominations, after the Second Coming, for sure.

"I will also cause her mirth to cease, her feast days, her New Moons, her (Not His Sabbath, BUT) her sabbaths - all her appointed feasts (X-mas, Easter, etc),"

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
7 posted 2002-12-03 12:35 PM

There are some different stories.  Some say Tefnut came from his mucus or spittle; others from from his "seed" that he stirred out.  
Another nickname is Nin-ti where as I understand "ti" means "rib" in the language from my Mythology textbook.  I'm not sure however what Nin means.  So perhaps she was considered from the rib, or his actual rib?

Yes definitly there is the shadow of truth in myths I believe to be found.   It is a connection where they all seem to touch upon each other a bit, and it shows how unique the human mind is to perceive things so diversly around it...

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-03-2002 12:38 PM).]

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

8 posted 2002-12-03 12:44 PM

"Christmas for example being celebrated shortly after the Winter Solstice is not a coincidence, but a way early christians took older pagan celebrations and adopted them to the new teachings they embraced."

But what does God say about this practice? Does God condone the taking of pagan celebrations and adopting them to praise Him?
Will He accept the worshipping on these pagan adopted days?
You are asking me for God's intent, and while you offer scripture to defend your view of this, one has to accept the scripture quoted as being true for your arguments to have any legitimate hold on an answer. I applaud your faith those writing are true... but do not believe them to be infallible myself so can not accept them as "proof"

As for legends of Adam and Eve, or the great flood, or many other tales recounted in the bible, one has only to look into the earlier civilizations preceding Christianity to find links from all sorts of cultures that were modified and or changed to fit what were then new beliefs. History and legends have a way of repeating themselves and of being re-written.

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
9 posted 2002-12-03 12:50 PM

Fair enough, Cpat Hair. I admire your logic.
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
10 posted 2002-12-03 12:54 PM

It seems all religions are the same cloud of matter, just in different shapes.  Some people put their head into it more than others and more into one place,  thus the cloud forever casts a different shadow to evey each.

Sometimes I think it is the way the whole universe is--Just a cloud that is of a spectrum of matter that changes through shapes and cycles.  Other than cycles in force there maybe no reason or sophistication in the universe except for on worlds.  We worldly beings may be in this way more Gods than we have ever credited...

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-03-2002 01:30 PM).]

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

11 posted 2002-12-03 02:01 PM

It seems all religions are the same cloud of matter, just in different shapes.  Some people put their head into it more than others and more into one place,  thus the cloud forever casts a different shadow to evey each

a good analogy... but I think they are a progressive adoption of what was before and what is now. Not the same as new things are being added in  a slow way, to incorporate the now into what was. Still there are many common threads throughout and how you vies or what you believe is dependent on which of the threads you decide to weave together.

Once woven, we wrap them around ourselves and may like the child who has a comforting blanket, not want to give it up, even though we now know there are others to choose from.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
12 posted 2002-12-03 02:07 PM

Or more accurately, that many ancient religions sprung from a common source.  I find there are some interesting parallels between Atum and Adam ... except, of course, that Atum got the better of his serpent.

Essorant ... have you considered that the Egyptian Atum was a deified Adam ... a myth that grew from the same oral tradition that passed to the Hebrews?  Merely speculating here, of course.

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
13 posted 2002-12-04 01:05 AM

Jbouder

You might be right.
If that happened though isn't it unfortunate the lustre and the high esteem that Adam was once beheld with in Egypt was taken off so throughly by other people to make of Adam a coarse being of feeble mortality which makes us thus coarse and feeble as well.  Yet there is still the claim that he lived over 900 years?  If the writers of the bible saw him as only man how could they claim him to have lived so long?  Nothing but being divine as well could afford a man a life so long.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-04-2002 01:07 AM).]

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
14 posted 2002-12-04 08:15 AM

Essorant:

Interesting point.  But if you read the Genesis account of Adam's life, I think it is more significant that he died than that he lived 900 years.  One might be just as disappointed that a historical Adam, a man, would be elevated to divinity, thereby diminishing mankind's very special relationship to the one true God ... created for the purpose and ability to know and relate to God.

The Bible doesn't explain the reason for the longevity of Adam, Eve and their offspring, but it is very clear on the reason for their eventual deaths.  Mortality is the result of sin and death is something all mortals will experience without divine intervention.

Do I believe that Adam was once immortal?  Sure.  Do I believe that he shared in the divine attributes of God?  I don't think that is supportable.

Just my opinion, of course.  I wasn't there.

Jim

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
15 posted 2002-12-04 08:20 AM

"Do I believe that Adam was once immortal?  Sure."

~ Where did you ever get that idea?

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
16 posted 2002-12-04 12:02 PM

Essorant,

I would want to suggest something similar to what Jim has said.  That the Egyptian myths could be an unhappy deification of a historical figure.  Though the account of Genesis was given to Moses by divine revelation, it is an account of events long before.  And believing as I do in the certainty of divine revelation, I think Genesis most accurately reflects human nature... not something to be worshipped, though created with great glory and purpose.  And through the fall, it also cogently explains our present situation with futility, sin, pain, death etc...  It contains true spiritual insight, that in my opinion, Egyptian mythology lacks.  That is not to say that Pagan mythology has nothing good in it.  It just doesn't say much about us.  If Atum was a "god" then he was elevated, and differentiated from us by his nature.  But Adam descriptively is Me and You, not a "god" whom we cannot relate to.  To put it simply, the one I see as a poetic story, the other I see as a poetic,  archetypal description of humanity.

Opeth,

I think Jim is talking about the Biblical account of Adam being created in God's image.  He is also coupling this with the New Testament teaching that Death entered the world through sin.  This being true, then Adam would have been an undying creature.  So immortality is a good word to use.  I don't think Jim is equating the word "immortal" with "deity".  Is this what you are trying to avoid?  Or do you think that scripture teaches "death" to be a pre-fall phenomenon?  

Stephen.    

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (12-04-2002 12:05 PM).]

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
17 posted 2002-12-04 12:18 PM

Opeth:

Stephen stated my intent correctly:

quote:

im·mor·tal (adjective)

1. able to live or last forever: able to have eternal life or existence

NOT

quote:
im·mor·tal (noun)

2. a god: a god who lives for ever, especially a god of ancient Greece or Rome

I thought my previous posts removed most doubt that I could possibly be a polytheist or a panentheist.

Jim

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
18 posted 2002-12-04 06:36 PM

Stephen
I agree with you mostwhat.
But I still think that all creatures are divine, deserving respect and worship.    
Humans are  more loftier in Nature, having more of a hand over things, and this makes the responsibility of our kind more grave in ensuring we don't get out of joint or too far out of balance, for if we lose control of our power more things are within the danger.  
If God or "Gods" is/are not "inside" of us making us, this does not change a truth that we are still the highest government over our own selves. If we had a bit more of an altruistic approach seeing this divinity, I believe this would destine us to higher peace and health.  God and Nature are both our creators, yet we are less and less preserving and worshiping either while our ability to behold as we should is  in smother under a human world sheet of concrete, technology, smoke, grease, waste, etc. exceeding respectful bounds to a point where we can little touch either nor be touched by them.  Some day we will see, and all we will want to do is destroy our own creations to get back to those sources that made us, but it might be too late.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-04-2002 10:17 PM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
19 posted 2002-12-05 08:38 AM

Adam was never immortal. However, he had the chance for immortality. Genesis is clear in relating what is the nature of man.

God formed Adam out of dust from the ground. And even told him, from dust you were created and to dust you shall return.

He breathed air into Adam. Not an immortal soul, but air, "the breath of life." This same breath of life was breathed into all living creatures of God.

Adam had a choice. He could eat from the Tree of Life or of the Tree of Knowledge. The fruit from the Tree of Life would provide Adam with the Holy Spirit of God, which would lead to his being born again, upon the first death. But by choosing to eat from the Tree of Knowledge, Adam chose not the Holy Spirit of God, but now brought about what Paul would later call, the second death.

It was Satan, appearing as snake who originated the doctrine of the Immortal Soul by telling Eve, you can eat from this tree for God knows you surely cannot die. In other words, you are immortal, like God.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
20 posted 2002-12-05 12:54 PM

Opeth:

From Calvin's Institutes:

quote:
Moreover, there can be no question that man consists of a body and a soul; meaning by soul, an immortal though created essence, which is his nobler part. Sometimes he is called a spirit. But though the two terms, while they are used together differ in their meaning, still, when spirit is used by itself it is equivalent to soul, as when Solomon speaking of death says, that the spirit returns to God who gave it, (Eccles. 12:7.) And Christ, in commending his spirit to the Father (Luke 23:46), and Stephen his to Christ (Acts 7:59), simply mean, that when the soul is freed from the prison-house of the body, God becomes its perpetual keeper.

Those who imagine that the soul is called a spirit because it is a breath or energy divinely infused into bodies, but devoid of essence, err too grossly, as is shown both by the nature of the thing, and the whole tenor of Scripture. It is true, indeed, that men cleaving too much to the earth are dull of apprehension, nay, being alienated from the Father of Lights (James 1:17), are so immersed in darkness as to imagine that they will not survive the grave; still the light is not so completely quenched in darkness that all sense of immortality is lost.

Conscience, which, distinguishing, between good and evil, responds to the judgement of God, is an undoubted sign of an immortal spirit. How could motion devoid of essence penetrate to the judgement-seat of God, and under a sense of guilt strike itself with terror? The body cannot be affected by any fear of spiritual punishment. This is competent only to the soul, which must therefore be endued with essence. Then the mere knowledge of a God sufficiently proves that souls which rise higher than the world must be immortal, it being impossible that any evanescent vigour could reach the very fountain of life.

In fine, while the many noble faculties with which the human mind is endued proclaim that something divine is engraven on it, they are so many evidences of an immortal essence. For such sense as the lower animals possess goes not beyond the body, or at least not beyond the objects actually presented to it. But the swiftness with which the human mind glances from heaven to earth, scans the secrets of nature, and, after it has embraced all ages, with intellect and memory digests each in its proper order, and reads the future in the past, clearly demonstrates that there lurks in man a something separated from the body. We have intellect by which we are able to conceive of the invisible God and angels - a thing of which body is altogether incapable. We have ideas of rectitude, justice, and honesty - ideas which the bodily senses cannot reach. The seat of these ideas must therefore be a spirit. Nay, sleep itself, which stupefying the man, seems even to deprive him of life, is no obscure evidence of immortality; not only suggesting thoughts of things which never existed, but foreboding future events. I briefly touch on topics which even profane writers describe with a more splendid eloquence. For pious readers, a simple reference is sufficient.

Were not the soul some kind of essence separated from the body, Scripture would not teach that we dwell in houses of clay (Job 4:19), and at death remove from a tabernacle of flesh; that we put off that which is corruptible, in order that, at the last day, we may finally receive according to the deeds done in the body. These, and similar passages which everywhere occur, not only clearly distinguish the soul from the body, but by giving it the name of man, intimate that it is his principal part. Again, when Paul exhorts believers to cleanse themselves from all filthiness of the flesh and the spirit (II Cor. 7:1), he shows that there are two parts in which the taint of sin resides. Peter, also, in calling Christ the Shepherd and Bishop of souls (I Peter 2:25), would have spoken absurdly if there were no souls towards which he might discharge such an office. Nor would there be any ground for what he says concerning the eternal salvation of souls (I Peter 1:9), or for his injunction to purify our souls, or for his assertion that fleshly lusts war against the soul (I Peter 2:11p); neither could the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews say, that pastors watch as those who must give an account for our souls (Heb. 13:17p), if souls were devoid of essence. To the same effect Paul calls God to witness upon his soul (II Cor 1:23), which could not be brought to trial before God if incapable of suffering punishment. This is still more clearly expressed by our Saviour, when he bids us fear him who, after he has killed the body, is able also to cast into hell fire (Matt 10:28; Luke 12:5). Again when the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews distinguishes the fathers of our flesh from God, who alone is the Father of our spirits (Heb. 12:9), he could not have asserted the essence of the soul in clearer terms. Moreover, did not the soul, when freed from the fetters of the body, continue to exist, our Saviour would not have represented the soul of Lazarus as enjoying blessedness in Abraham s bosom, while, on the contrary, that of Dives was suffering dreadful torments (Luke 16:22-23). Paul assures us of the same thing when he says, that so long as we are present in the body, we are absent from the Lord (II Cor. 5:6,8). Not to dwell on a matter as to which there is little obscurity, I will only add, that Luke mentions among the errors of the Sadducees that they believed neither angel nor spirit (Acts 23:8).

I'm I understanding you correctly that, if Satan originated the doctrine of the immortal soul, wouldn't Solomon, Jesus, Stephen, James, Job, Paul, Peter and the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews be guilty of perpetuating Satan's deceptive false doctrine?

Your continued insistence that Christianity and the doctrine of the immortal soul are incompatible is an untenable position.  If nothing else, Calvin has adequately demonstrated that his opinion is at least as Scripturally valid as your own.

Jim

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
21 posted 2002-12-05 01:00 PM

Opeth,

"Adam was never immortal. However, he had the chance for immortality. Genesis is clear in relating what is the nature of man."

I will agree that Adam did not remain in an undying state.  He did have a choice.  God told him not to eat the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and affirmed to him, "The day that you eat of it you shall surely die".  So death was hinged on Adam's choice.  This is harmonious with Paul's teaching in Romans  5:12:

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned"

There is no indication scripturally (not even a hint!) that death was a part of life in Eden, in a pre-fallen state.  I would be interested if you could show me this from Genesis.

"God formed Adam out of dust from the ground. And even told him, from dust you were created and to dust you shall return."

As you say, God did tell Adam that he was made from dust, and to dust he would return... but this was after his disobedient partaking of the fruit which brings death.  This whole dialogue of which you speak is in Genesis 3:9-19 where God pronounces judgement on the serpent, Eve, and Adam for their disobedience.

"He breathed air into Adam. Not an immortal soul, but air, "the breath of life." This same breath of life was breathed into all living creatures of God."

You seem to be splitting hairs here, and transforming a poetic description of God creating life, into some sort of theological differentiation based on semantics.  Air, or breath, has always been symbolic of "Life".  There is no basis here to say what the length or duration of that life was, or was not.  The only thing this scripture states, doctrinally speaking, is that our life is from God.

"The fruit from the Tree of Life would provide Adam with the Holy Spirit of God, which would lead to his being born again, upon the first death"

Interesting doctrine, but where is the scriptural support from Genesis of a "first death" being pre-fall?  Where is the New testament support that the "New Birth", or being "Born Again" should be associated soley with the ressurection.  Show me this from John chapter 3, if you can... this is where Jesus is speaking to Nicodemus about being born again, and the only place in scripture, interestingly enough, where being "born again" is directly spoken of in these terms.  Remember, I would prefer you to give me scriptures, not just your ideas about scriptures.

"But by choosing to eat from the Tree of Knowledge, Adam chose not the Holy Spirit of God, but now brought about what Paul would later call, the second death."

Again, I would like some scripture to back this up.  Where did Paul refer to the "second death"?  Can you guide me here?  I could be wrong, but I thought the only place in scripture where the "second death" is mentioned is in the book of Revelation, connected with the lake of fire.  If what you are saying is true, then the second death is our present state through Adam's fall, and cannot be associated with the Lake of Fire, as it is in Revelation.  It is an interesting take on scripture no doubt that you are presenting, but I've got to have more than haphazard commentaries on biblical statements.  Please provide scripture chapter and verse.

"It was Satan, appearing as snake who originated the doctrine of the Immortal Soul by telling Eve, you can eat from this tree for God knows you surely cannot die. In other words, you are immortal, like God."

You surely cannot die?... or will not?  All the translations I have read, state the following dialogue:

Eve: "...but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, 'You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die'."

The Serpent: "You will not surely die.  For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Opeth, you are making as if the Serpent's response was to make Eve falsely believe she was "immortal", but this is a stretch, and not necessary at all.   You also have conveniently changed the phraseology of scripture to better suggest your doctrine.  

And If Eve were not already immortal in the sense of being an undying creature, then God's words "You shall surely die" are meaningless...  Death was a judgement upon Adam and Eve.  God did not say "You shall surely die early"!  Wow, not much of an incentive to avoid the fruit, if death is inevitable anyway.

In simplistic terms what was the Serpent saying? ... God is a liar.   You can eat this fruit and you won't die like he said you would "in the day that you eat of it".  And plus you will have knowledge of good and evil like God himself.  

There is no evidence in Genesis, or anywhere else in the Bible that I can see, which suggests that the Serpent was trying to convince Adam & Eve that they were presently "immortal".  Rather, it seems obvious that he was trying to get them to try to be their own "gods", so that they would fall from their undying state.

What a tempation complete autonomy is!

Stephen.  

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (12-05-2002 01:15 PM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
22 posted 2002-12-05 01:07 PM

"I'm I understanding you correctly that, if Satan originated the doctrine of the immortal soul, wouldn't Solomon, Jesus, Stephen, James, Job, Paul, Peter and the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews be guilty of perpetuating Satan's deceptive false doctrine?"

~ No. Because Calvin misinterpreted these passages. And of course he did, for he of the false church. Soul = nephesh. We became living souls, just like nephesh is used in describing dead animals in Leviticus. Of course, animals don't have souls, do they?

"Your continued insistence that Christianity and the doctrine of the immortal soul are incompatible is an untenable position.  If nothing else, Calvin has adequately demonstrated that his opinion is at least as Scripturally valid as your own."

It is not my opinion, Jim. I didn't write this verse...

"And God breathed into man the breath of life and man became a living soul."

~ Clearly, this verse states that man IS as soul. A soul is not something man has. This is not my opinion. This is what the bible states.

"The soul that sinneth is the soul that will die."

~ Clearly, without my opinion, that man = soul, will die. And not "eternally separated from God" as mainstream christianity claims, but death = nonexistence...thanatos, I believe the word is in Greek.

~ Remember Calvin was using the philosophy of men mixed with biblical passages. From Plato to Aquinas to Calvin, this teaching and adhering to doctrines and traditions of men, the immortal soul, is false.

Not my opinion, Jim. I am just stating what is found in the bible.

Now the "spirit in man" that was brought up by Calvin is an interesting issue. The Greek and Hebrew word for spirit is definitely different than soul. But I have already explained this before. The spirit of man returns to God, not conscious, but awaiting to join the ressurected bodies when Christ returns. This is why Paul called those who have died in faith, "asleep."

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
23 posted 2002-12-05 01:22 PM

Opeth:

You wrote:

quote:
Not my opinion, Jim. I am just stating what is found in the bible.

Come on, Opeth.  That is sophistry and you know it.  As soon as you read a passage of Scripture and begin to contemplate its meaning, you become an interpreter.  As soon as you comment on what you've interpeted, you've offered your opinion.  If all you do is quote Scripture with a specific purpose in mind, you are still interpreting and you are still expressing an opinion.

You claim Calvin misinterpreted the Scriptures, yet even Stephan, being quite bright but still is no John Calvin (yet) , is able to walk an elephant through the holes in your previous arguments.  So, if it comes down to a question of who interpreted passages of Scripture correctly: Calvin or Opeth? ... I'd have to side with Calvin.

Jim

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
24 posted 2002-12-05 01:26 PM

And so said the masses during Christ's time about Christ and his followers, that they will believe the Scribes and the Pharisees instead.

[This message has been edited by Opeth (12-05-2002 01:29 PM).]

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
25 posted 2002-12-05 01:37 PM

Opeth,

no use crying "martyrdom", until you are able to defend your position.  Obscurantism is a cheap substitute for being persecuted for "the sake of righteousness".  Jesus was in the temple at twelve, aptly discussing truth with the experts in the law there.  He never failed to offer cogent and powerful support for his take on scripture.  You can call me a Pharisee if you wish, but I am honestly not convinced of your argumentation... yet.  I still want more support from the scriptures.  Jesus was well versed in scripture and offered it freely in support of the truth.  If you're going to say "anathema" over us, at least make it so we will be without excuse.  So far, you just haven't offered anything substantial.

Stephen.

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
26 posted 2002-12-05 01:44 PM

God made man out of dust from the earth and provided him with breath to fill his lungs. To say that Adam was unable to die is an opinion. Show me where the Bible states that Adam and Eve could not die, prior to their taking of the forbidden fruit? It isn't there. You can interpret other scripture to support your claim, but that is all it is. There is nothing that directly says that they were unable to die.

But without adding or taking away from the Biblical passage of Adam's physical existence, I can say that he was a being who was subject to death, the first death. And then, after using this scripture, I can back it up with support. You use supporting scripture prior to providing me with primary support.

Primary

1. God created Adam out of dust from the ground and breathed air into his lungs.
2. He became a living soul.

~ Nothing here states that man has an immmortal soul or spirit. To say that is to add to the bible.

3. It is appointed for all men to die once.

~ Therefore, all men will die.

4. Therefore he can die because he does not possess an immortal soul. He is man.

5. Eating the forbidden fruit brought about the fate of the second death = thanatos.

Clear and simple when one approaches the Bible as a child, and not a scholar like the false christians: Aquinas, Augustine, Calvin, etc.

[This message has been edited by Opeth (12-05-2002 01:48 PM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
27 posted 2002-12-05 01:52 PM

Someone said about using an elephant to roll through what I have said, but I say to you...I have quoted much scripture to show how false christianity is alive and well, which has still not been challenged by either one of you, or anyone else for that matter.

It is real convenient to skip these matters and move on to other topics, so that those matters get lost in all of the other replies.

PS...I have never put any of you down for believing in what I call false christianity. That is the difference between what you believe and what I have come to know. I only hate the false churches, their history, its doctrine. The people who are sincere in their beliefs are not to perish.

They will be taught by God and His saints.

[This message has been edited by Opeth (12-05-2002 01:57 PM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
28 posted 2002-12-05 01:59 PM

"You can call me a Pharisee if you wish..."

~ No, you are one of the masses.

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
29 posted 2002-12-05 02:07 PM

Opeth:

The reasons are simple.  When you quote Scripture and throw it out by the bushel, you are interpreting those Scriptures. You, evidently, can do this very, very quickly.  I, on the other hand, am weighed down by the shackles of scholarship that chain me to false Christianity.  Unless I have an opportunity to read the Scripture, understand its grammar, take note of the context of the remaining chapter, book or epistle, refresh my memory as to the historical context and search as to whether other Scripture interprets its meaning for me, I am reluctant to throw my opinion out there.

Apparently, my apostasy slows me down.

Jim

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
30 posted 2002-12-05 02:10 PM

Opeth,

Let's take this one point at a time.  If you want to stay with Genesis ... then let's start there.

God warned against the forbidden fruit, by saying "In the day that you eat of it you shall surely die".  What exactly is the nature of the judgement pronounced here, if they were already dying creatures?  If they were already mortal in the sense of being subject to physical death, then what is the weight of God's judgement?  It would be like warning a wet man against falling in a pool, by saying "when you do you will surely get wet".  You escape this absurdity in the exact same way of getting "support" from scriptures outside of Genesis... by suggesting that God was speaking of the "second death".  My point?  You have to go outside of Genesis to escape absurdity due to your doctrine.  I only have to say that death was apparantly non-existent in the Garden to escape the absurdity.  And, no I do not have to go outside of Genesis to escape that absurdity, but I can go there for support.  That's where I go to Paul saying that death entered the world through sin.  

You however, due to your doctrine, are forced to go outside of Genesis just to escape the absurdity of God pronouncing death upon dying creatures.  So you go to the "second death".  However, when we go to that scripture, in Revelation, we find nothing said about Adam, or the garden... it is identified with the "Lake of Fire".  When Paul speaks of "death entering the world through sin" in Romans, he is speaking in the context of the Garden of Eden.  He even mentions Adam!

But to reiterate. .. I am not forced to go outside of Genesis to see Adam & Eve's prefallen state as undying, since no absurdity or contradiction arises from believing so.  You however are faced with a problematic and puzzling question ...

Taking the Genesis account ALONE, why does God pronounce Death as a judgement on an already dying race?

You go to the second death of Revelation which gives no indication of your doctrine whatsoever.  

I am not unwilling to look at any scripture, however, you would like to look at.  It is just my assertion that you have a problem with pre-fall mortality in Genesis that could be solved by scriptures outside of Genesis, but so far hasn't been solved by them.  Please quote scripture either from Genesis or the other 65 books of scriptures that would support your view.  I am afraid the one reference in scripture to the second death falls way short of being convincing.

I may yet be wrong.  But I have harmony within Genesis, and seeming support outside of it as well.  So far, you seem to have neither.

And BTW, I have read all of this myself, I never decided to believe theologians for the sake of believing them without my own judgement.  I believed this long before I ever read about Calvin or any of these guys you mentioned.  I disagree with many theologians which I respect.

Stephen.

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (12-05-2002 02:13 PM).]

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
31 posted 2002-12-05 02:20 PM

"I have quoted much scripture to show how false christianity is alive and well, which has still not been challenged by either one of you, or anyone else for that matter.
It is real convenient to skip these matters and move on to other topics, so that those matters get lost in all of the other replies.
"

There you go again ... We ARE discussing about false Christianity.  But now in a meaningful way.  We are actually looking at doctrines which constitute true or false.  You call this "getting lost" in replies.  I call it facing the issues and discussing them, rather than asserting your view and calling everyone else heretics.  One step at a time... you have yet to show me that your idea of "immortal soul doctrine" really is an element of false christianity.  And we must resolve this, first.  Else, we just end up never really taking a good look at the claims.  We've got plenty of time.  Let's stay where we are until the questions are answered.  If you are unwilling to do this, I think it may be from a hesitancy...  Do you think your assertions will stand observation?  Even Paul said to "Test the Spirits, to see if they are from God".  You can't avoid the testing, and call everyone who wants to test, enemies.  It may be God who wants to try your doctrine as well. . . If it came from him, it will stand.  

Stephen.

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
32 posted 2002-12-05 02:20 PM

You may be right on one point (it has been quite awhile since I studied Genesis), that Adam and Eve, prior to eating of the forbidden fruit would not die (first death), however, where I think I threw myself off-base was the issue of them not dying and the immortal soul issue.

That they would not die does not mean they have immortal souls. This was my intended point. Even those truly called are not perfect. But the foundation is of the truth.

[This message has been edited by Opeth (12-05-2002 02:22 PM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
33 posted 2002-12-05 02:23 PM

Okay, then. Go back and read what I quoted regarding the immortality of the soul, and the ressurections. Read it and answer it, if you wish.

"Even Paul said to "Test the Spirits, to see if they are from God".  You can't avoid the testing, and call everyone who wants to test, enemies.  It may be God who wants to try your doctrine as well. . . If it came from him, it will stand."

~ Interesting. But answer me this. I have already been on your side arguing the same arguments that you are giving me...studying with an open mind and asked God for guidance and now I believe differenttly. Are you saying that I should now go back again and start all over again? Then what, if I should change, and then find another person who is like I am now, rehash it again, and then maybe change back again? lol

Have you been on my side of the fence? But, I have been on yours.

And what if you are not being called, and then would never understand what the truth is?  

[This message has been edited by Opeth (12-05-2002 02:28 PM).]

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
34 posted 2002-12-05 08:22 PM

I believe present shapes and memory are forever temporary.  There is no being one thing, or remembering one thing forever, thus the body and the soul are mortal and immortal-- mortal in that they change and forget, and immortal in that they seem to be doing it for an eternity!!
Maybe the whole universe is one small group of elements immortal, but the seeming endless variety of compounds of these must be mortal.  When they are but themselves they are substances, when they are compounds they are creations, objects and beings.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (12-06-2002 11:10 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Atum and Adam

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary