navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Astrology
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Astrology Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
dougsbird21
since 2002-11-08
Posts 52
London(from TX though)

0 posted 2002-11-09 04:31 PM

Have u ever wondered how this horoscope/star sign business started? I have...

I'm not one to believe what is predicted in my horoscope--just enjoy reading the stuff for entertainment. However, I think it's really  interesting that, via the alignment of the stars,astrologers make predictions that sooo many people read and find major similarities to. I know more people who can relate to their star sign than those who can't. How was all this devised?! I think it's really neat...wouldn't just off a cliff because my horoscope said to, but when such a large following of people who find their signs to be just like they are, it makes u think...

Like, even though I just read them for fun, I found myself the other day trying to find out about the sign "sagittarius" because I'm expecting a baby on Dec 2nd. I don't believe any horoscope stuff/not a religious astrological type, but figure if so many people find major similarities via themselves and their horoscopes, maybe I could learn a bit about my daughter before she's born...haha. Hey, if the scopes are bang on for alot of people...maybe she'll turn out like her sign! Who knows! It's fun to think about! And to think they got it all from looking in the sky--amazing. All the things that make life interesting...  

"Write what you feel, not what u think you should feel."

© Copyright 2002 Lisa Cherubini/Somerset - All Rights Reserved
Crysania
since 2002-09-21
Posts 67
Lost in a dream. (Please don't wake!)
1 posted 2002-11-10 02:14 AM

Well, I believe in astrology quite a lot, as well as all that other 'stuff.' Hmmmm........ www.astrology.com has all sorts of horoscope things.
As for being accurate, my sign (Virgo) portrays me pretty darn well. Overall, some things about astrology are right on, some aren't. It's kind of a sketchy thing. (Lol, look at me, aren't I helpful?) Anyhow, the website is a must-check-out, it's one of the best sites for this stuff.
If you're curious and want to, you may even want to record down the positions/houses of your daughter when she's born, and see how it relates to her, and check for yourself how accurate this stuff is. *shrugs* All just ideas.

Hope I helped at least a bit!
Blessed Be!
- Stephanie

Do what you want and say what you feel. Those who matter won't mind and those who mind don't matter. (Forget who said that...must find their name.)

Red
since 2000-01-01
Posts 143
Ca
2 posted 2002-11-10 01:41 PM

I had an astronomy teacher once who told us that astrology was a hoax because the stars have shifted since astrology was invented and we were all born under the sign prior to the sign that astrolgy says we were born under.  For example, I'm a virgo but really I was born under the stars of Leo.  Anyhow, I don't know if that was true or not but I thought it was kind of funny.
Personally, I read my horoscope and when it says something good, hell yeah I'm a believer.
When it says something bad, then I'm a cynic and it's all lies.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
3 posted 2002-11-10 06:40 PM

I generally tend to not believe in astrology, although the Gemini profile fits me to a 'T'. Indecisive? That's me... High energy? That's me (usually)... I don't usually read my horoscope though, cause I figure that if life's going to hand me a good day or a bad day, there's nothing I can do about it by reading my horoscope Unfortunately I can't stay in bed like I'm advised to a lot of the time lol. I do find it a fascinating subject though, and I love using it to get to know myself better. I don't know... maybe I'm a half-hearted believer lol

I'm so cute!

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2002-11-11 12:13 PM

Brad:

Dang, and I was kinda enjoying being a scorpio.  That good ole mysterious scorpion is SO cool!

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
5 posted 2002-11-11 02:18 AM

If astrology is to be taken seriously as something to be followed (in a religious context), then I have to ask some things.

1) How would astrologists explain vast differences in personalities of people born at the exact same day or even hour, such as often happens with twins?

2)  Upon what authority are we to believe that the "order" of the stars, can be trusted    to order our daily lives? In other words, do the stars have order?  If so who or what  ordered them?  Did that being who ordered the stars reveal to us the system of astrology, qualifying it as a trustworthy guide?  Or are the laws of astrology merely some human idea?  In short, why philosophically/ metaphysically, should I believe in astrology as a trustworthy guide for life?

Stephen

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
6 posted 2002-11-12 07:26 AM

"If astrology is to be taken seriously as something to be followed (in a religious context), then I have to ask some things..."

~ If any belief is to be followed, the same questions would apply.

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
7 posted 2002-11-13 04:04 PM

Opeth,

I wholeheartedly agree.

The truth can stand up to interrogation.

Stephen.

[This message has been edited by Stephanos (11-13-2002 04:06 PM).]

Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
8 posted 2002-11-13 04:25 PM

Somebody asked me once, "Why do you think the universe was created?"

~ I told them as far as I can tell I am not sure if it was created or if it just happened to be. However, if it were created, whomever created it must have also created life, and that life can be found here, of course, and elsewhere in the universe.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
9 posted 2002-11-16 01:25 AM

who says life was found here?

as to the signs 'fitting people' - it's like many of the online tests, horoscopes, what not - if you are general enough, you can easily cover the bulk of people you're addressing just through odds.

if i were to tell you that you're looking forward to a change for the better... there's a VERY good chance that most people who read that will agree. that doesn't mean the stars tell your future (never even looked at them, honest!), it just means i found a statement that could be applicable to a large group of people.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
10 posted 2002-11-16 01:26 AM

oh - and the same goes for personality triats. if i say you're ambitious and caring, i've a pretty good chance that you'll agree with me.
Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

11 posted 2002-12-06 11:55 AM

I don't follow astrology religiously, but I do believe it to a certain degree.

I think there is a combination of predestination and free will. The stars to me are just an example of this. -- Some has already been drawn (like a rough copy, or blue print) and from there we fill in the details by making choices.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone. It makes sense in my head.

By the way Chris, I agree with you about the generalizations - however, there are certain qualities/flaws that I know I have whether or not I read about them in a book or magazine.   

i was here

[This message has been edited by Jaime (12-06-2002 12:00 PM).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2002-12-06 12:05 PM

sigh.

Just this, and I'm outta here.

Go beyond the fortune telling.

Study the archetype. The study of this symbolism makes the Old Testament much more meaningful.

I'm gonna go my witchy way now.

Caelestis
since 2002-12-10
Posts 12
Canada
13 posted 2002-12-12 03:24 AM

I just read my preference profile as an Aries on astrology.com, and it was about 90% inaccurate.  I've never given any credit to astrology, but I'd also love to hear some logical and scientific evidence as to why the planets and stars could have any measurable effect on your personality, and how they could be used to predict the future.
Kosetsu
since 2001-03-10
Posts 450
Alabama, USA
14 posted 2003-01-14 07:54 PM

On the other hand, I just read my Cancer profile on astrology.com, and it's pretty damn close, even down to my technological preferences when it comes to computers (mundane programs, web design...screw the flashy pretty stuff. If it does what I need it to without the flashy crap, all the better).

I think one thing people forget though is that astrology doesn't make the person. We make ourselves. In the case of the two twins, how many twins do you know that want to be exactly alike? I don't know very many. Most that I've met (which I'll admit is only maybe 5 pairs) want to be as different as they can be. If you take two Cancers, put one in an abusive home, put the other in a loving, nurturing home, they're bound to turn out different, to some degree.

As for the generality theory, what if I told you that you can be highly manipulative and are prone to brood and even be downright nasty when you don't get your way? Would you agree with me? Those are qualities of Cancer, and I have to admit, I've found them to be true in myself.

Personally, I do think that astrology has some credibility. Sure, it's not gonna describe you 100%. For example, mine says I shouldn't like to travel, but I have a love of travel, and intent to travel all over the place once I'm able.

A curious theory I've developed is that Water signs may be a little more inclined to poetry and other works of literature than other signs. Anyone care to put it to the test? How many Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces signs do we have?

-Adam

numerologynamecalculator
since 2019-04-02
Posts 1

15 posted 2019-04-02 01:24 AM

Numerology Name Calculator is the world’s largest resource for Astrology enthusiasts and experts of all things numbers. Our collection of guides, courses and calculators will teach you exactly how your name and birth date truly relate to your life destiny. numerologynamecalculator.com

[This message has been edited by Ron (10-25-2019 05:34 AM).]

Fortun8one
Posts 6
Miami, FL USA
16 posted 2019-07-04 11:44 AM

Hi all! I'm new around here, but I've been writing for years. All the sites I used to post on have slowly disappeared over the years...

Ok, back to the subject at hand... My mother was a renowned Astrologist and a master at guiding people using Astrology.

The problem with mainstream Astrology is that it is only a generalization of basics. For your horoscope to be correct and precise it must be prepared for you based on your exact date and time of birth. For that you have to set up an appointment with a real Astrologist who has spent a lifetime learning his/her trade. The stuff you read in the papers is as said above "just for entertainment"  

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
17 posted 2019-10-24 11:50 PM

Fortune cookies are the only reliable form of fortune-telling because you will always at least get a cookie.    
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Astrology

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary