navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Windshield or Window?
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Windshield or Window? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a

0 posted 2002-10-10 05:35 PM

Is a car windshield a "windshield" or a "window?"
Is the primary function one of "to shield from the wind," or is the primary function a "window?" Is the fact that one can see through a windshield secondary to the shielding properties? And by the way, where are all the tons of rubber that have been worn off tires since cars began?

[This message has been edited by Toerag (10-10-2002 05:47 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Toerag - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2002-10-10 06:51 PM

I can't even begin to answer you but the rubber thoughts sure gave me a smile

M

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2002-10-10 07:52 PM

Windshield is an original term used when cars were first designed. They DID shield the riders from the wind.

The rubber from some tires is grated and used in resurfacing roads. The roads seem to last longer than the regular materials.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2002-10-10 09:29 PM

This is a trick question, right?

If a car windshield was a window you wouldn't have asked us if a car windshield was a windshield or a window, but would have instead asked us whether a car window was a windshield or a window. We would have all been a little lost, of course, because window wouldn't have been specific enough to tell us which of the many windows in a car you meant. And the whole joke would have, uh, gone out the window.

And, Toe? I know we're friends, but don't you think asking about the disposal of rubbers is just a little too personal?

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2002-10-10 09:55 PM

Well then - I couldn't resist this little controversy, but I hate being wrong, so I cheated and looked up "windshield."  Here's what I found...
quote:

windshield
n : transparent (as of glass) to protect occupants of a vehicle
[syn: windscreen]

Now I'm sitting here envisioning automobiles with SCREENS in front to protect us from the wind.  How the heck would that work anyway?  Wouldn't the wind go right through all those little holes?  This just doesn't make sense to me at all...

And about the rubber?  I know about that for sure... They scrape up ALL the melted rubber from the roads once in awhile (You've seen them - they work under bright lights on the highways at night)...  and they recycle it to make cement... rubber cement... A little dab'll glue ya...

[This message has been edited by Nan (10-10-2002 09:57 PM).]

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
5 posted 2002-10-11 10:59 AM

It would be kinda hard to drive if a windshield was opaque right? (a windshield that was not a window) But all car windows are really wind "shields" aren't they?  There function is not so that we can see out, (the same could be accomplished with a hole in the car frame), but that we can keep the wind out of our faces.  But once you introduce a shield, it must be transparent in order to drive.  So the shield is it's primary function... but isn't that kind of the function of all windows?  Otherwise rectangular holes would work just as well.

The rubber question is too profound for me to tackle right now.  

Stephen

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
6 posted 2002-10-11 03:10 PM

Not all that profound.

Most of the worn off rubber particles end up in stormwater runoff.  Some surely ends up in any given area's watershed, but I suspect that most of settles in the soil.

Jim

Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
7 posted 2002-10-11 11:14 PM

Jim,

I was being facetious of course.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Windshield or Window?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary